Tb W4-1052sa - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2005, 07:44 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeb-D.
Keep us posted, I just got 4 of these drivers as well and am unsure exactly what to do with them.
Jeb, I don't want to post a load of detail here, I'll just report on final construction/sound. But if you are interested you can follow "work-in-progress" at http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/wip.html where I'll post pics over the next week of build process.

Cheers - Phil
Old 31st December 2005, 12:06 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default build progress

Finally have one box build, wired and just running in. If you are interested in the fabrication see .. http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512...uction_w4.html

Currently one side is my Seas Thor TL's with the little W4's running on the other side not a very good balance but couldn't wait to hear a least one box. First impression was their efficiency - sound louder that the Thor on the other side at low/mediam volume. I've put biwire sockets in rear and am currently running speakers as bi-amped 4 ohm's but with a few jumper leads will play around with serial 8 ohm and parellel.

Sound are very good, but as an unbalanced pair can not really say yet what sound stage/depth etc are like.

Will try and get box No 2 finished during the week.

Cheers - Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w4-04.jpg (17.0 KB, 1445 views)
Old 2nd January 2006, 11:10 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default Pair complete

Couldn't live with running one box, so finished second yesterday. The advantage of +40C in the shed is your glue cures dam quick!

I've put my comments on sound at the bottom of the construction page -
http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512...uction_w4.html

Cheer Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w4_pair.jpg (29.2 KB, 1349 views)
Old 3rd January 2006, 12:14 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Very nice.

I'm glad you like them. How are they compared to your Fostex?

Josh
Old 3rd January 2006, 05:33 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by edjosh23
Very nice.

I'm glad you like them. How are they compared to your Fostex?

Josh
Josh – tell me say firstly this is “totally subjective” each pair of speakers were driven by different systems (but good un’s), one box is BR the other is BLH etc etc.

Okay, I’d say difference is very marginal, that close I think it’d come down to personal preference.

• TB’s reveal slightly more in the upper range and give better “shimmer/ting/crash” to cymbals/tops hats etc.
• On initial hearing this make TB’s sound more “forward” than FE 126e’s but TB’s sound is even overall and they don’t sound tiring!
• I’ve always like Fostex (human) “voicing” so FE’s win here but only marginal – the TB’s are very good.
• The BLH gives the impression of more bass but if I put the FE in their BR box I’m guessing there wouldn’t be much difference.

I think “joe public” would plum for the TB’s because the FE appear more mellow but with a good pair of ears you realize there’s not much in it.

Cheers – Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w4_fostex_comp.jpg (24.9 KB, 1359 views)
Old 29th March 2006, 11:18 PM   #26
type is offline type  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greenie512

Josh – tell me say firstly this is “totally subjective” each pair of speakers were driven by different systems (but good un’s), one box is BR the other is BLH etc etc.

Okay, I’d say difference is very marginal, that close I think it’d come down to personal preference.

• TB’s reveal slightly more in the upper range and give better “shimmer/ting/crash” to cymbals/tops hats etc.
• On initial hearing this make TB’s sound more “forward” than FE 126e’s but TB’s sound is even overall and they don’t sound tiring!
• I’ve always like Fostex (human) “voicing” so FE’s win here but only marginal – the TB’s are very good.
• The BLH gives the impression of more bass but if I put the FE in their BR box I’m guessing there wouldn’t be much difference.

I think “joe public” would plum for the TB’s because the FE appear more mellow but with a good pair of ears you realize there’s not much in it.

Cheers – Phil

greenie512,

So it looks like you feel like the 1052 is almost as good as the 126e. That's an interesting driver. You would never think that it was that good based on the manufacturer supplied frequency resoponse.
Old 29th March 2006, 11:49 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I don't think the responce is half bad. It's not flat, but responce curves for drivers such as the FE166R aren't so smooth, but I think there is a bit more than just responce graphs.

Josh

FE166ES-R graph below
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 30th March 2006, 06:52 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Type, I did say my comments were totally subjective – which reads “use your own ears”. This was a total free-form experiment that worked better than I thought it might.

For the cheap price of these drivers they work well and above their price range. There are probably even better speakers at this price, I just happened to try them.

I like them but they can not exactly replace my Seas Thor TL’s and after veneering and finishing they were sold on eBay.

Final boxes … http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512...ished_w4s.html

Cheers - Phil
Old 3rd August 2006, 02:47 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

I saw that Scottmouse designed this in another thread and wanted to reprint it here as well. Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Well, here's one idea: a max flat (large) stand-mount:

20in tall
7in wide
8in deep
2in port, 4in long, 5in up from internal base on either the front or rear baffle.
Driver centre 5in down from top. (all internal dimensions)
Stuff 0.5lbs ft^3 of dacron or similar from the top to just above the port.

I don't normally bother with max-flat any more, but a standmount is often quite a good candidate for it -it'll add a little weight to proceedings. If you want to roll things off a little more, increase the port length by 1in.

Old 29th August 2006, 07:37 PM   #30
indoubt is offline indoubt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I know I'm kicking an old topic.

The reason for it being that I would like to know whether the dual drivers interfered with each other and whether this was audible. Ussually the theory says one driver for a frequency or a lot of drivers in a line array but than bassically from down the knee to over the head (if done right)

Is my understanding correct that you made a two driver crossoverless line array and that it worked like a charm as well?

Hide this!Advertise here!