"Cyburgs-Stick" featuring W4-655SA - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2010, 10:40 AM   #41
matjans is offline matjans  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to matjans
hi cyburg/others

Long time ago I built the needles and have been listening to them for a while; the sound was marvelous. Since then I've upgraded to something else...

Now I'd like to build a pair of sticks, however I've never liked square boxes. Apart from sonic interference/standing waves, I just don't like the looks, too boxy.

If I read the drawings right, the insides are 14x14cm square, the top bass reflex (inside) is 24cm high. If I would like to build a slightly different box, say like the linn Ninka's with their beautiful slanted walls, what would I have to take into account to get the sound right?

For the inner volume of top and bottom reflex boxes (4,7 liters top) the calculations are easy, but I'm not so sure about the port length/diameter. What should I take into account for calculating the port size/length ?

top pic of ninka;s:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 21st January 2010, 11:32 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

Default where did the edit button go ?

Right, one small addition, the bottom port doesn;t matter, only the top (internal) port, i'll be using the normal port for the bottom.
Old 22nd January 2010, 03:25 AM   #43
fwater is offline fwater  United States
diyAudio Member

It looks like the first port is 28cm2. Just keep the same area in your design. Let's say your cabinet is going to be only 10cm wide (internal) at the rear, so make the depth of the port 2.8cm. Or, there's nothing saying you couldn't put the port at the front of the cabinet and adjust the depth down. Also, there probably isn't a lot of sensitivety to where the whole length of the port resides. It could be contained entirely within the upper or lower chamber or anywhere in between, no just centered between the two. Lastly, a tube of 28cm2 by 8cm long could be substituted for even greater ease.
Old 22nd January 2010, 07:19 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

ok, thanks, i'll post some drawings & pics when building.

I even thought up a name: Stinka's Stick + Ninka

Old 24th January 2010, 10:11 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Default Sketchup!

OK, this is the general idea. I kept internal volumes identical to Cyburgs design (if my calculations are correct, that is ):

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 24th January 2010, 04:54 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

What is the depth of the internal port?
Old 24th January 2010, 05:01 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

tba

but i'm hesitating, just looked at a design based on a 135cm TL, supposedly sounds better than cyburgs double bass reflex... found one on a dutch diy board. he wasn't satisfied with bass behaviour and transplanted them into a TL. sooooo..... wait until i make up my mind

Last edited by matjans; 24th January 2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 24th January 2010, 05:33 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

A TL is more flexible than this design. Easier to tune and modify, which is good when dealing with Tang Band drivers and their large deviations from published T/S specs.

I've done double bass reflexes and series double chambers and they are quite sensitive to small changes (minor mistakes in measurement or variations in driver characteristics). They frustrate me. TLs, on the other hand, do not frustrate me, and seem like they are more fun to play around with than a standard ported design. Is the one you're looking at a MLTL (mass loaded transmission line)? I've had good luck with MLTLs in particular, as they combine a port like found in a bass-reflex design and therefore add more tunability. Perhaps you could look into designing your own cabinatry by using Hornresp?
Old 24th January 2010, 07:23 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

if you don;t mind the googlized translation have a look at it here:

Google Bericht

and here

Google Bericht

Please note that the dutch generally *are* able to speak and write a language (called "Dutch") that actually makes sense. Most of the time, that is.
Old 15th September 2012, 06:02 PM   #50
ceneto is offline ceneto  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

hi
I have question about notch filter.
I have purchased w4 655(don't know the letter) but I think it's diferent from w4 655SA. It has these specification:
Vas 5.09 Litr.
Qts 0.34
Qms 5,76
Qes 0.36
So, am I supposed to change the elements of the notch filter and how to do it?

Hide this!Advertise here!