Fostex Fe208Sigma BL-Horn (Replikon)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi @ll

We have designed this Horn for the old Fostex Fe208Sigma. We will soon publish the complete guidance on our private page http://www.hornlautsprecher.de

Please note that we dont have any economic interests and we publish our plans only for the private use. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I hope I can answere all questions.

enjoy building the horn and have fun listining at it.

your Raffi and Till

Attachments

• replikon-bauplan.jpg
    replikon-bauplan.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 3,838
Hi xcortes,

our goal was to build a good working horn for the Fe208Sigma. We wanted a loudspeaker that can play without a subwoofer and any active or passive equalasation. The sound of the recom. encl. was to boomy and the characterristic to rough. We couldend relax while listining the horn. So Raffi and I were trying out new ways and new formulas and ended at this king of horn.

After a long time we have found out that BL-horns are pretty simular to a bass-reflex. So we build couple of idea an finaly got these parameters.

After optimizing everyting our Replikon has following shape. We are selling the design version so we will not publish these plans. But the straight version is free for private use.

Attachments

• replikon01.jpg
    replikon01.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 2,841
greetings Raffi and Till, I'm curious to know if the Replicon would work with the Fe206e and what if any mods wouild you have to do.the straight Replicon looks like quite an easy build as far as horns go but I already have the 206 drivers.keep up the good work cheers fergs

Till, do the FE208 Sigmas sound better in your horn than the FX200s that you also own (probably they are in BR enclosures). I am asking because I am not able to make up my mind between FE168EZ Sigma, FX120, FX200 and FF165K.

I am looking for the best possible mid resolution. However, I also like the idea of a pair of FF165Ks in DÁppolito configuration with a Fountek JP3 ribbon tweeter and a cheaper rear firing tweeter, all in an Open Baffle coupled with a pair of 15" or 18"subs using high sensitivity PA speakers. If this setup is actively amplified, it might have a resolution, openness and dynamic range that is better than any single driver horn.

Since you have experience with a number of Fostex drivers, I'd appreciate your input.

Hi Samuel

I´ve got the FX200 in a BL-Horn http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65061 (--> last posting at this side)

You can not compare these two horns. The FX can play deeper than the FE208Sigma in the Replikon. But you have the feeling that the Replikon plays with a bit more control. The character (?!) of the Replikon is harder and not as smooth as the FX200-horn.

Here are some encolsures to play with:
FP253 --> 45-50 liters closed / 90-100 liters BR
FX200 --> 25-30 liters closed / 50-60 liters BR.
FP203 --> 20-25 liters closed / 40-50 liters BR

next combinations should be added with a woofer/subwoofer under 200-300Hz.
FX120 --> 6.5-7.5 liters closed
Fe127e --> 3.5-4.5 liters closed (got this one in a combination with two 13cm woofers --> http://www.klangform-akustik.de/preso.htm
Fe127 --> 0.8-1.1 liters

Fe83 /Fe87 --> 0.4-0.6 liters

Until now I haven´t played with the Fe168EZ or the FF165K so I can´t say anything to these drivers.

One of my favorite combinations was the FX200 in 25litres closed with a VISATON TIW400 in 135 liters closed.

The Idea with the dáppolito sounds good. Should be a try.

Personal I don´t like open baffle so I can´t/will not give a statement to that combination. I know that a lot of people like these kind of speakers and can give you some hints so that you can make your own view.

regards Till

Attachments

• monitor_fx200_tiw400.jpg
    monitor_fx200_tiw400.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 2,371
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.