Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

final countdown - closed project

revisorn1_2.jpg

Read more below :)rolleyes: in Swedish only!)

Swedish diyforum, gallery section

Here is fullrange set utilizing the CSS FR125S. I'm using these with a Tempest 15" subwoofer that you can see bit of in the left hand corner. The mains are miniOnken. The center channel has the same volume as the mains but no port. The rear surrounds are sealed 7 liter. I've built everything you see. Making furniture is a hobby of mine.
A big screen is placed in front of the TV when I watch DVDs with my projector.
I'm pleased with the sound of these speakers. I use the Panasonic SA-XR50 digital receiver. I'm very pleased with the clean sound it produces.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Fonkens

Guess i should post a pic of the prototype Fonkens (plans will be posted in my Box Plan Libary). Except for a change to the height of the ports, it turns out that an FE127e works really well in the miniOnken box designed for the FR125S.

I'm currently working on mods to the drivers that will, hopefully, clean up the rough edges without sacrificing the glorious midrange. We are happy with the box. Bass is clean & tight, that being their primamry benefit over the diyRef FE127 ML-TL

dave

Attachments

• fonkens.jpg
    fonkens.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 7,614
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Fonkens

navin said:
how does the midrange and trebel of teh FE127 compare with the FR125?

Amp? Here is where amp/speaker synergy really come into play... the FR125 does decent mids with almost any amp, as the amp gets better the Fostex gets ahead... perhaps not quite as smooth thou (but i'm working on that). With the amps i have, in my room, i prefer the Fostex.

BTW what is a 7 driver 3.5way? speaker (see right corner) doing with a fullrange guru? :) just kidding.

Pic was taken at RAWfest '06. Those are Al's rendition of the Dan Wiggins Apex. Big sound, but kinda confused.

dave

Re: Re: Re: Fonkens

planet10 said:

Amp? Here is where amp/speaker synergy really come into play... the FR125 does decent mids with almost any amp, as the amp gets better the Fostex gets ahead...

with an EL84 PP amp i would assume you'd recommend the Fostex. Actually I was thinking of using the 108 sigma with the EL84 but feared the 108 sigma will not suffice (in bass) for the kind of music my son listens to. :)

soongsc said:
Navin,

Have you finished the HT project? I recall you've had some good cabin ideas. Just wondering whether it was realised or not.

I got 3 projects in various levels of completion.

An EL34 amp (using 6SL7 and 6SN7), an EL84 PP amp (which started only because i was gifted 8 EL84s and 2 OPTs) and some mods on the Maratz CD player

I have not started my speaker projects. The reason being drivers. I have sort of settled on the JX92 for the center and rear of my HT system and am wondering if a JX6+woofer would be better suited for the front. The woofer to be used has not been decided.

Beyond that I have a 8546-9900 push push project half done (to be driven with the EL34 amp) and since I would be ordering drivers for the HT project (JX92 etc...) I would like to take the opportunity to order some drivers for the EL84 amp as well.

Eventually I intend to have 3 systems.

Marantz SR7000 and Carver M1.0t and home made amp based on B&K ST140 (3 pairs of output transistors and a bigger power supply) to drive the HT system usig JX92 center and rear, DV12 subs and yet to be decided front speakers.

Marantz modified CD player to drive EL34 amp and ScanSpeak push push floor standers.

Phonosophie CD player to drive EL84 amp to drive small booksheld or thin small floor standers (Fostex 108 or FR125-WR125 or Fostex 127 push push)

Re: Fonkens

planet10 said:
Guess i should post a pic of the prototype Fonkens (plans will be posted in my Box Plan Libary). Except for a change to the height of the ports, it turns out that an FE127e works really well in the miniOnken box designed for the FR125S.

I'm currently working on mods to the drivers that will, hopefully, clean up the rough edges without sacrificing the glorious midrange. We are happy with the box. Bass is clean & tight, that being their primamry benefit over the diyRef FE127 ML-TL

dave

planet10 said:
and our version of the diyA FR Ref FE127e folded ML-TL (these went to Chris' mom). It is hard to beat these for the cuteness factor.

dave

Hi Dave,

Very nice work. Do you find that you need a BSC with these single driver implementations.

Cheers,
Gio.

TB W3-871s in a Bottle

Someone posted their TangBand in a bottle picture, and I thought I would do the same. I have not been able to get lumber to build the cyburgs-needles from HomeDepot yet because I don't have a truck and home depot doesn't seem very interested in cutting down a piece of plywood for me. And so, temporary housing it is. I used electrical tape because I was scared of using Duct Tape, and the bottles are right around 1.5 liters with as much polyfill as I could stuff in them. As was said about them before...the bass isn't pounding, but you can actually hear the bass notes, and they are quite musical. Oh, and I used blue tack to seal up the mounting holes, as you can see.

I bought these of other DIYAudio recommendations, and I'm happy I did. You all know what you're talking about. Great sound considering the size and price. And for being in plastic bottles

http://static.flickr.com/41/123527506_1a821047f3_m.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/34/123527507_bc8d39e132.jpg