Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Hey all,

Attached pic is of TQWT enclosure using Lyeco LY802F drivers. High Qts/Xmax, yielding some pretty darn good bass. Also in the pic are Cary amps, JEL type 300B amps and Klipsch Cornwalls. 300B amps we built...... can't imagine solid state doing what they do!

Next for experiment, BLH and ONKEN enclosures for the Lyecos....

Attachments

• sytemmayhemat.jpg
    sytemmayhemat.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 14,077
Reactions: 1 user
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hopefully it works this time...

They definitely have to be damped. John Ötvös (Waveform) told me he used a rubber epoxy through out the cavity of his aluminum eggs. After the cabinets were completed I found it nearly impossible to reach inside with my hands and cover every area, so I tried some foam inexpensive foam matting from the crafts department at Wal Mart. Damping throughout including around the flared port (also stainless) and the back housing of the Jordan.

The result was excellent in every way. No ringing at all. My only complaint is the limited bass response as to be expected from small enclosures.

Nuuk said:
Something isn't quite right and I can't quite put my finger on what! :dead:
Crank up some solo vocals and press your ear to the back of the cabinet. ;)

Johnnyboy, in my case I tried constrained layer damping comprised of 1/8" aluminum sheet epoxied to linoleum floor tile and then glued to the cabinet interior, linoleum to steel. In hindsight I think the soft layer was too thick to provide maximum damping. Large machinery often uses CLD damping similar in concept but with a much thinner damping layer. All in all it was partially successful, the cabinet imparts only a bit of character to voice. No complaints about the bass though!

Old pic in the early stages here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=445859#post445859

After untold hours of work I hit the point of diminishing return and never took it much further. The 657b has been replaced with a TB W4-1320SA, one of the new bamboo drivers, mostly for fun. They get pulled out now and then as another view into the sound of an amp I'm building. They still throw one heck of a soundstage. Eventually the interior will get a thick layer of felt and the exterior might get that leather wrap some day. Yeah, that's it: 'some day'. ;D