Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Hi all,

I just had to post this.

I'm so pleased with these Tabaq's I made with the help of Bjørn Johannesen's sim for the Mark Audio CHR 70.3 drivers.

I still need to put a finish on the plinths but I'm just enjoying the music now!

Attachments

• IMG-20180415-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20180415-WA0004.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,715
  • IMG-20180415-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20180415-WA0005.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,700
After a few years in the multi driver wilderness, I'm now firmly back in the single, full range driver camp, with a pair of 78L sealed cabinets housing a Fane 12-250-TC triple cone driver.

How would you describe the sound? I am looking for something that gives deep tight bass without any boom and HF's that don't mask the detail. Did you use any crossover components?

Why ? (it is more than just being in love with the latest project)

Apologies for missing this post,
Yes, I would say it's a bit more than simply being in love with the latest project.
Over the past 12 months, I've been on a major drive towards simplicity both with amplification and speakers.

The simpler I've gone, the better the sound I've had. These be' Faned 1950s/60s styled floorstanders are the ultimate expression of that simplicity: no ports, no transmission lines; just a basic rectangular box with a brace inside and some damping material.

And the sound they put out is great: no harshness, no shout; just room-filling musical entertainment. Whether or not they lack ultimate treble extension is irrelevant to my 60 year old ears. I'm grateful I don't have to worry about supertweeters.

The new Fane advert should go:

"Our new 12 and 15 inch triple cone drivers:
Full range speakers for the over 50s" :D

My ears are in that age range tooo!

Was there anything learned about your multiways that didn't satisfy you that might be of value to those of us still making the journey ?

I just found that there was always "something" not quite right about the way my own multiways reproduced music. The commercial ones I had were no better.
Maybe, in terms of the commercial ones, I had the wrong speakers and in terms of the ones I built, I was not skilled enough to get the driver choices and crossovers right.

OTOH, the full range speakers I had, including several versions of my Metronome design, always seemed to get the musical essentials right, which went a long way to overcoming any "hi-fi" limitations they had.

The older I get, the simpler I want things, and a sealed box with a single driver is about as simple as it gets. The fact that the Fane 12" is an outstandingly good FR driver is the icing on the cake.