Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

I finished these about 1 month ago.
It was a lot of work to get the finish right on the boxes.
I find voices to be sibilant in this 1.4 cu ft sealed box with a 200W solid state ATI amplifier.:(
They would probably sound better with a tube amp.
They would probably sound better open baffle, or at least ported.
But I am not going to experiment.
I am selling the drivers because I don't like them in a 1.4 cu ft sealed boxes that I built. I just listed them on Craigslist (Los Angeles and Ventura county).
I am going to move on and build a 2-way with these boxes.

Jaiken that's a nice finish, is it mahagony with solid wood edges? how many coats of lacquer?
You could still make it ported and add some nice T90A tweeter on top :) looks like a decent size enclosure...

Danny

Thanks. Not mahogany, just many coats of stain to make it look like mahogany. Yes, and edges are solid.
Box is 1.5in thick on all sides, which makes it pretty heavy. I am thinking of putting a Tang Band W8-1722 in the box, and mounting a tweeter on top. This would then be the wrong thread for this speaker, as it would be a 2-way (not full range. I asked Parts Express about the W8-1722, because it is not listed on their site. I can't find anywhere to buy the W8-1722.

Jaiken that's a nice finish, is it mahagony with solid wood edges? how many coats of lacquer?
You could still make it ported and add some nice T90A tweeter on top :) looks like a decent size enclosure...

Danny

do you mean W8- 1772 ? - I can't see what distinguishes it from the 1808, but then I'm probably too lazy to compare the full T/S parameter specs
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Parts Express would be the closet vendor

I've briefly heard these on a small OB as part of a 3-way system, - my impressions of its tonal balance and presentation are not germane, buy I think that you might find a 1.4 cu ft sealed box would be far too small for close to "optimal performance" with either driver. At a current retail of over $200 ea , both would deserve a less compromised enclosure - something along the lines of a full length MLTL or BLH for example.

I'm not sure if TangBand makes / ever made something called a W8-1722.

There is a W4-1720 4" mid-bass driver that quite honestly might be better suited to a 2-way in this size an enclosure, you'd just want to be selective with sensitivity of tweeter to simplify the XO.

Yes, TB makes a w8-1722

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w8-1722.htm
I think it is a good woofer for this box. Especially since I already have the flush-mount cutout for it.
The problem is... nobody in the USA sells it. Parts-Express buys drivers 300 at a time from Tang Band. I would have 298 extra woofers.

I could modify the cutout (which is work I don't want to do), and put in a pair of Scan Speak 23W/4557T-02. I might do this. But I would rather find a way to buy the TB w8-1722. It is the easy way out.:)

Fair enough -

One of the issues with TB that I've noticed is that not all distributors (find market demand to ) stock all current models, with the result that rumors can sometime arise at to production status i.e. " Since I don't (any longer) see model XX-XXXX on my local distributor's website, it must not (any longer) be in production.

Unlike someone like Mark Fenlon, if there's not a local distributor who has / wants to stock every model in a very extensive line, some of which are well over equivalent of $200 USD, plus taxes and shipping .... well you're outta luck - and even if legally permitted, the international freight charges on a let's guess 10 lbs each package can get pricy, not to mention the brokerage fees when the vendor decides to use the wrong shipper.

All that said, it's still not certain that the T/S parameters for that driver are well enough suited to your given enclosure to justify the acquisition.

pretty, and thanks for the honest assessment of the NAD3020 - a legendary giant-killer 40 yrs ago perhaps, but time has moved on, and I'd wager any number of very affordable digital amps wouldn't be embarrassed in a comparison

and a well executed EL84 or 34 is of course, another level altogether

I'm thinking about a summer amp, tubes are for winter, and am curious as to what "very affordable digital amps" you have heard and would recommend for a FE166, FE165 guy who's recently become spoiled by an EL34 SET.

Thank you, Mack

I've had Kingrex T20 and 20-U (USB input) for at least 5 yrs now - quite a nice sounding piece, particularly with the outboard linear PSU, and currently a pair of Topping TP30 driving FF85WK desktop set-ups. Bob Brines speaks highly of his higher powered TP60, which at $208 US + shipping, taxes, etc (Parts Express) represents pretty decent value, I must say.

In my stable of amps, also have an EL34SET, and definitely spent far more than that just on a set of zoomy output tubes - Shuguang Black Treasure 6CA7 -worth every penny, but I'd have to think long and hard about a quad for my Joilda 302 that has be languishing on the rebuild bench for a couple of years now.

Actually beyond the Kingrex and Toppings, the only other digital amps I've heard were Sonic Impact, and some PE clone I think, and the Trends TA10.1 - the latter was quite acceptable, the former two - no so much.
Rather like what's happened with certain brands of full range drivers in the past few years, this is a still evolving niche, and no doubt other recommendations could abound - particularly if you're interested in DIYing a digital amp kit, which for some reason, I'm not. Hypex, for example

Mack - we'll leave it up to the moderators to decide, but I don't think we're too far OT yet ? ;)

the Black Treasures were quite a delight

as for USB stand alone DACs -as opposed to the inputs on T-amps previously described - I don't have a lot of listening experience to any of those except for an Edirol (UA25 I think?) at Dave's place

my own DAC / pre is a CityPulse DA7.2X acquired over 5 yrs ago - I probably should have spent the extra few bucks on the 2.03 with USB, but at that time didn't think I'd need it - in fact since I'm currently using it in a system with headless MacMini and outboard USB HD for files storage, I'm probably better off using the Toslink input anyway

enough random bloviation, back to your regularly schedule programming

Made me a set of Cyburgs Needles to use as home cinema fronts...works awesome with two 12" H-baffle subs taking care of the low-end :D

Attachments

• 000016.jpg
    000016.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 1,798
Thanks!
It's wallpaper :D A wallpapershop was having a sale on odd rolls of design wallpaper and this was hiding there! It is a Osborne and litle Travertino 09.
I don't know where you can get ahold of it in the us but my guess is that any store that specialize in design wallpapers should be able to order it :)

Thanks!
No i have not but it was in my head when i put the wallpaper on, but i was not sure what a clearcoat would do to the wallpaper.
Im still thinking of wallpapering a small box and try a to put a coating on that, just to see the results and to make sure the glue dont come undone or it shrinks or something.
Yes i think things like wallpaper and coatings can be very interesting, especially to use as finishes as a counterweight to all the veneered and painted/stained cabinets :).