Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Fishin' Buddies

This is a terrible phone camera picture, but I thought I'd share anyway.
Here are my latest full range friends (FF125wk in fonken-like slot port boxes from ODougBo) playing via my smallest t-amp in a cabin. I went on a fishing trip with my brother and two cousins recently and this is where we hung out at night. In the middle room of the cabin, cranking old tunes, playing cards and NES emulator games. :D Good times. Everyone was very impressed with the sound quality of this unassuming setup.

Attachments

• 20130831_134328.jpg
    20130831_134328.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 1,712
Last edited:
Sonido SFR-200 in AION

Hi Mihail! Very nice looking horns. I've always liked the looks of Sonido's AION horn. Can you comment on the sound quality of this design? What are the positives & negatives of the AION design? Also have you heard any other back-loaded horn that you can compare the AION's sound quality against? Hedlund, Big Fun Horn, Sachiko, Lamhorn etc.?

Thanks,

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

AION at the expense of the mouth sent to a ceiling, reproduces very "fast" and "deep" bass, using a wall and ceiling angle as horn continuation. Negative quality only one - the sizes and weight more than 100 kilograms))) Besides, at the expense of only one turn is easier reached phase coordination of direct and reverse radiation of speaker.
Yours faithfully, Mihail

Bob Brines FF165 MTLT

Here's a phone pic of a BB M12-F165 I built from Tasmanian Oak veneered 19mm Hoop Pine ply with solid front corners and Philippine Mahogany (Meranti) supra baffle.

I powered these with a recapped NAD 3020 and a custom EL34 tube amp.
The NAD makes FLACs sound like MP3s. The tube amp catches your attention and holds it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

pretty, and thanks for the honest assessment of the NAD3020 - a legendary giant-killer 40 yrs ago perhaps, but time has moved on, and I'd wager any number of very affordable digital amps wouldn't be embarrassed in a comparison

and a well executed EL84 or 34 is of course, another level altogether

AION at the expense of the mouth sent to a ceiling, reproduces very "fast" and "deep" bass, using a wall and ceiling angle as horn continuation. Negative quality only one - the sizes and weight more than 100 kilograms))) Besides, at the expense of only one turn is easier reached phase coordination of direct and reverse radiation of speaker.
Yours faithfully, Mihail

Thanks for the info Milhail. Beautiful looking and apparently sounding speaker!

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

pretty, and thanks for the honest assessment of the NAD3020 - a legendary giant-killer 40 yrs ago perhaps, but time has moved on, and I'd wager any number of very affordable digital amps wouldn't be embarrassed in a comparison

and a well executed EL84 or 34 is of course, another level altogether
Personally I have only ever heard one "old" amp that sounded any good compared to modern DIY amp or modern amp. The worst tube amp I have ever heard was a Luxman. It was just auditory mush. Not a according to its owner though. Also I think all Quad amps are just plain boring even when driving Quad speakers. A simple tube amp, even better a simple EL34 amp easily beats them all.

Last edited: