Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Yes all of those are in good shape- surroundings are soft! :)
Those six 8" with sand on the cone will all be used in DUNE system, 4 of them just to play bass in about 100L each as spice harvesters, so no matter that dustcap is damaged- au contraire, they have survived Shai Hulud attack :D

You're a DUNE fanatic, how cool.
These spice harvesters will perform well on Geidi Prime :cool:

20130426_104957.jpg

Hi Simenms, pay attention to the acoustic feedback!

Your TT must be placed not too close to the speakers, and not between them in any case.

The TT must be placed on a shelf or on a proper support, take a look here:
The TNT SandBlaster 1.0

Anyway: your speakers are a work of art! Lots of compliments!

I invented these for my child, with left-overs...turned out to be too big so I kept them for myself.
I am lazy to finish them: increase the bass horn. The idea is to make a nice cabinet for a 6" or 8" Audio Nirvana. Sound really good and image very, very well for a USD30 surround speaker...

I hate square boxes, really.

Attachments

• Parlantes horn.jpg
    Parlantes horn.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 1,995
  • DSC01566.jpg
    DSC01566.jpg
    906.5 KB · Views: 1,922
Folded TABAQs with TangBand W3-881SI

Oak plywood
Polyurethane only on side panels
Truck Bed Liner Paint on the black parts. (thanks Bob B.!)

Attachments

• DSC_0532.jpg
    DSC_0532.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,736
  • DSC_0529.jpg
    DSC_0529.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,696
  • DSC_0530.jpg
    DSC_0530.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 374
  • DSC_0531.jpg
    DSC_0531.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
I invented these for my child, with left-overs...turned out to be too big so I kept them for myself.
I am lazy to finish them: increase the bass horn. The idea is to make a nice cabinet for a 6" or 8" Audio Nirvana. Sound really good and image very, very well for a USD30 surround speaker...

I hate square boxes, really.

Hi Max,

Could you comment on the particulars of this design? Very interesting!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Hi Max,

Could you comment on the particulars of this design? Very interesting!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Thnak you dear, for your interest.
This idea was inspired by my snobish little brother who loves expensive bookshelf speakers which image well, have a lot of midrange and HF information but lack true bass. I commented him that a real man would make a hole at the back of the enclosure a add a very big folded horn to profit from some LF :cool:

I had these AIWA surrounds doing nothing (5"?) and on a previous life I had build that 3 column pedestal with heavy duty PVC: it is supposed to be a HF diffractor plus bass trap but I cannot remember the name of the original...well I made a hole and the back of the enclosure, as I am a real man :D and adapted a connection to the central tube, through which the sound wave ascends. The central tube is connected with both lateral tubes at the upper end, which doubles diameter, and then the sound wave descends and is transmited to the wood horn. I decided to use the floor as the "floor" of the horn to win time but now I have to complete and expand the mouth. I would say that the lowest usable LF (Fo?) is around 80Hz now. The advantage I predicted is present. For example, Bach's cello suites sound wonderfully articulated with rich bass harmonics.
As a bet, the central tube has also a hole at the horn end (which can be blocked at will).
I use them with bass reinforced with woofers at present, with active CX at 100Hz.

I can draw a diagram if you so wish, of the present speaker and of the following logical step in design I plan...a tip: a too big bass horn does not exist...always build big.

I hope you like it.
M.

Thanks Tuxedocivic, they are CSS FR125's cabs are virtually (internal dims) as per Planet ten's recommended BR box. I'm using one notch filter 6khz as recomended by another builder. They don't sound bad at all, I'm amazed they do bass! But they do. A bit particular of the sort of music they like, some sounds excellent other stuff not as good. Overall not bad, I may add a couple of small subs.........:)

Well DIYNick you can definitely tell these are a set of DIY speakers! Yep DIY speakers made by a man who loved what he was doing, knows how to work with wood and made what is very close to being a turnkey commercial pair of speakers! These are beautiful and very, very good example of DIY work at it's finest Nick. I hope you're a proud papa, 'cause you should be...

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Last edited:
How do the speakers sound? Give me a clue.

well, they are very clear and as you would expect give a very good stereo image. There is a good range of treble to bass, the bass as I say is very good considering the size of the driver. They handle complex music ok and are reasonably dynamic. At the moment they can be a bit ragged in the trebble area (i'll play around with filter to sort this). They are excellent with electronic music like Tangerine Dream / Kraftwerk, is good as I listen to this sort of thing a lot. They are quite revealing, and it is easy to make changes further up the audio chain and hear the effect.

Hope that helps you a bit.

Nick

well, they are very clear and as you would expect give a very good stereo image. There is a good range of treble to bass, the bass as I say is very good considering the size of the driver. They handle complex music ok and are reasonably dynamic. At the moment they can be a bit ragged in the trebble area (i'll play around with filter to sort this). They are excellent with electronic music like Tangerine Dream / Kraftwerk, is good as I listen to this sort of thing a lot. They are quite revealing, and it is easy to make changes further up the audio chain and hear the effect.

Hope that helps you a bit.

Nick
A BSC may improve balance but from what you are saying they sound good. Give them 100 hours to settled.

Just put together a pair of Vampyr-Vs w/ Fostex 103ENs for a friend. All glued and screwed except for one side which has cling wrap preventing the sealant from making contact with the core so I can remove it should I need to add/remove stuffing.

I've only had a brief listen but they sound alive and quick. The room is 4x3.5m and the speakers are not in the corners because the 166 BIBs are too much trouble to move.

The Vampyr-Vs are powered by a new Dynaco valve amp of about 30w/c. I have to use almost double the vol required for the BIBs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cheers,
Mack