Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

My second build of this design and the best finish I have ever had. Fostex FE206En in dual chambered bass reflex box. Finish is rollered on with semi-dry roller and multiple coats including undercoat. Top chamber only lined with a dampening and heavy bitumen and Al foil on the magnet. Two strands of wire wrap wire (silver plated fine wire) for hookup wire to gold plated binding post. Silver soldered. Fine metal Grills held on with four rare earth magnets and pop on and off real easy. Sounds natural and clear.

These are to compliment my 2 channel system with Oppo BDP-93, 3.5W 6EM7 dual mono tube amp (Paris), 46" LED TV and 125W 12" sub woofer in 80L ported enclosure.

Attachments

• Assemble_I.jpg
    Assemble_I.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 2,155
  • Assemble_II.jpg
    Assemble_II.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 2,054
  • Assemble_III.jpg
    Assemble_III.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 1,982
  • Finished_I.jpg
    Finished_I.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 1,986
  • Finished_II.jpg
    Finished_II.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 1,933
  • Finished_III.jpg
    Finished_III.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 413
  • Finished_IV.jpg
    Finished_IV.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 409
tuxedocivic and zman01: The Al foil is quite thick and has very sticky bituman (tar) on the back. This is to stop reflection from the back of the top chamber bouncing off the big magnet. The top chamber is lined with sound deadening fine synthetic wool type. The Al is very dead. I use it it amps under lids for enclosures in fact every where I can stick the stuff to control enclosure resonance.

The drivers are but a few hours old and as stiff as heck. You can hear this if you try to wind up the sound, it just gets compressed. But on rock/pop tracks the bass is OK but not fully developed. Hoping it will improve. If you listen down at the port its just nice rich bass but volume is down a bit. I can't read or type while I'm playing the system, I just keep looking up and focusing on the sound. Very pleased at this point. I think the tube amp tames some of the shoutiness these drivers can have because the sound is very natural.

I ran the Stereophile test CD across the speakers to checkout the bottom end with the new drivers. From 100hz and down the volume level drops very slowly. But here was the big surprise, at 50hz there is a definite lift in bass volume and at 40Hz a bigger lift. At 40hz it could be room/speaker resonance but whatever it's nice. With a big lift at 40hz, 31hz, 25hz, and ever 20hz are quite audible with only 20hz being well down. I'll assume the port is tuned to about the 40hz mark with such a big jump in bass volume.

These boxes go lower than my $4.5K three-way Osborn towers which die at 31hz. As the Fostex will be used mainly for watching moves the low bass extension should add drama but I will have to re-balance the sub woofer.

My just completed uFonken Fostex FF85WK build. These drivers punch way beyond their weight, sound great from start with no time on the drivers. Not happy with my veneering job but they will live on my desk ultimately so not too concerned about it. Thanks Dave and Chris for singing the praises of these drivers, definitely warranted!

image.php

image.php

image.php

Best,
Ed