Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

My Coral Flat 10

2012-05-05%252016.23.55.jpg

Totally DIY, or repurposed cabinets? They look nice in any case!

Here is my first full range speaker project.
Merrill DCA5.5 full range driver (88dB) in a transmission line cabinet of Baltic Birch plywood. It is basically a tapered design where the line is folded once horizontally instead of vertically. This was done to allow the speakers to be used in a smaller bookshelf arrangement or placed on a credenza. There is fiberfill stuffed about six to eight inches behind the driver. This design was originally used for Feastrex drivers and was created by Ronnie Thackeray of Carolina Audio. The speakers only have about 250 hours on them but they have really come alive in the last week or so. After listening to these, I have chucked all of my lossy music and gone to all FLAC lossless. The vocals, instrumentation, and soundstage are pretty stunning.

Attachments

• dca55 TL.jpg
    dca55 TL.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 2,156
Hi,

I´d like to show a cheap, quick and dirty project: a wall mounted transmissionline with the full range driver Visaton BG 17. Ok, some may say this driver is not sufficient for hifi but suits better for guitar amps. Anyway, you´ll never know if you dont´t try, won´t you?!

wall+tml+1.jpg

The aim was to develop a cheap box that matches with single ended triodes. Furthermore it had to be lightweighted and flat enough for wall mounting. The following sketch shows the sizes of the walls (all sizes in cm). The width of the side walls is 10 cm, the thickness of all walls 1.6 cm (I used simple spruce).

Plan+BG+17.jpg

After some experimentation with the damping I figured out the best solution in order to prevent mids coming out of the line. I started as shown on the top of the following pic...

wall+tml+2.jpg

wall+tml+3.jpg

wall+tml+4.jpg

I am no fan of filter networks, notch filters and all that stuff so I left it out. Filters bend & disturb phase and impedance - not recommendable if you intend to use triodes. The frequency response of the Visaton BG 17 is relatively linear - linear enough for me as I did not intend to create mega high end with this project! :)

D.jpg

Visaton+BG+17.jpg

Visaton BG 17 with an efficiency of 93 dB @ 2.83 V.

vor+chassiseinbau.jpg

In the end this project costs around 50-60 bucks in total.
If you are interested in further information just have a look to my blog. It´s in German but you may use the translation tool of your browser.

2A3 Maniac: Cheap, quick and dirty: Visaton BG 17 DIY-Wall-Transmissionline
2A3 Maniac: Follow-up: Visaton BG 17 DIY-Wall-Transmissionline
2A3 Maniac: DIY-Wall-Transmissionline mit Visaton BG 17 - Follow-up II: die Bedämpfung

Cheers,
Carsten