Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

beauties , all....

AlejandroR: Very nice. If high frequencies are needed , are you planning a supert-weeter ?

8-sided? A cube is 6 sided, add 2 chamfers and that's 8? Am I missing some sort of "other world" mathematics or counting scheme?

doorman: The traps are quite beautiful as well.

There's a reason why you don't ever actually see many of my projects on diyaudio. All of mine are FUGLY!

AlejandroR: Very nice. If high frequencies are needed , are you planning a supert-weeter ?

8-sided? A cube is 6 sided, add 2 chamfers and that's 8? Am I missing some sort of "other world" mathematics or counting scheme?

Dave's logic is that chamfers as wide as these ( close to 2" IIRC), renders them as an additional pair of sides. Not exactly other worldly, but certainly extra-planetary - 10 that is

:smash:

An 8-sided prism... 10 faces in all

dave

picture worth thousand words (actually, I just like showing off Bernie's work)

260644d1326694583-three-flavours-mar-kel70-el70-mk70wt-fir-comp.jpg

with some practice, I might even get that good

271336d1331522283-full-range-speaker-photo-gallery-may-2006-003.jpg

271337d1331522283-full-range-speaker-photo-gallery-img_4973.jpg

271338d1331522283-full-range-speaker-photo-gallery-img_4974.jpg

Mass-loaded 1/4-wave TL's (Calculated with MJK's formulas) tuned to around 35Hz. 1" Birch Ply front baffle, MDF sides and back. The top was made from two layers of 1/4 lauan bender board. The second layer was glued to the first and makes the union extremely rigid. The drivers are Audio Nirvana Super 8's.

The sound was very pleasing... the bass was ample down to at least 40Hz so long as you didn't crank the volume. I did have to tailor the response with an equalizer, however. It was amazing how much bass you can get out of a speaker that is really not designed to handle those frequencies.

The ultimate failing was the equalizer and I have since redesigned the cabinets to something smaller and more conservative and added a subwoofer. I have no extra components now in the audio path and the AN's are extremely articulate and dynamic.

Last edited:
My ClassicGR-MarKen10's and bass-reflex centre speaker:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The front baffle is made from Queensland Maple. This is my first speaker build... I learnt so much about working with wood, sometimes too much :eek: Oh, and I think they sound great. At the moment they are driven by a Yamaha RXV-767 and an modified Asus Essence ST in my HTPC.

My ClassicGR-MarKen10's and bass-reflex centre speaker:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The front baffle is made from Queensland Maple. This is my first speaker build... I learnt so much about working with wood, sometimes too much :eek: Oh, and I think they sound great. At the moment they are driven by a Yamaha RXV-767 and an modified Asus Essence ST in my HTPC.
That's a great looking array of speakers, well done!
Don

How nice....

I'm thinking of building a soundbar for under my TV if I get the time and the funds...I can only wish they look half as good as yours, zanlation.

Off topic "slightly" :The speakers in my TV resonate right in the middle of the midrange, so it takes away from enjoying watching anything on my TV.

My TV is a "stripper" 40" Samsung plasma. Great picture, good sound when it is not resonating. Still under full warranty for two more years, else I'd Dynamat it. Guess I can try some duct seal on the outside.

Any other thoughts (I can't get the dumb thing to allow me to use the digital audio output, or RCA analog output to use an external amp and speakers) are appreciated. If any comments, please PM me so that this thread doesn't wander off the topic.