Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Hello all!

Just in time for my sister's birthday this past August! ;-P I just have to drill the holes for the grill magnets.

Planet10 GR dCHR-Ken70's with CHR-70.3 drivers. The sound is fantastic. It took some time to get them broken in. Luckily there was lots of time to listen to them while I finished them! Thank you Dave and Mark, great drivers and a very solid and easy to build enclosure.

Kyle

I'm sure they sound just as good as they look. Excellent!

Please give more information.

Googling, scroll down to the CDs with REM [remastered]: Dave Brubeck Quartet, The - Time Out at Discogs

Don't know since I don't have a SACD player, but the more recent ones might be an better choice, though personally, if you have a good TT system, an original 1959 LP in good condition like I'm fortunate to have has a certain little extra 'tone'/'fullness' around the instruments like one might notice sitting up close in a nightclub.

GM

Googling, scroll down to the CDs with REM [remastered]: Dave Brubeck Quartet, The - Time Out at Discogs

Don't know since I don't have a SACD player, but the more recent ones might be an better choice, though personally, if you have a good TT system, an original 1959 LP in good condition like I'm fortunate to have has a certain little extra 'tone'/'fullness' around the instruments like one might notice sitting up close in a nightclub.

GM

My vinyl version is a bit scratchy, but I still get the nice full tone. Drums are quite explosive too. Also own "Impressions of Eurasia", slightly worse condition unfortunately, but the track "Calcutta Blues" is not too bad and has a very good tone on the percussions IMO.

Nice builds with the Mark Audio drivers guys! I should get on the boat and try'em sometimes.

IG

Finished right before christmas...my TQWT with Gradient AX-08.
Unfortunately the feet for them are currently not in stock so I have to wait till next year :( . Maybe I'll try tri-absorber from viablue (image attached.

Merry christmas :D

Attachments

• AX-08_TQWT_Heiligabend_2011_2.jpg
    AX-08_TQWT_Heiligabend_2011_2.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 2,140
  • AX-08_TQWT_Heiligabend 2011_1.jpg
    AX-08_TQWT_Heiligabend 2011_1.jpg
    592.2 KB · Views: 2,055
  • tri_absorber_black_1.jpg
    tri_absorber_black_1.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,912
Last edited:
bAD kLOPFER,

Those bad boys look cool! How do they sound? Are both near corners?

Merry Christmas!

Hi zman01,

they sound very good. It is quite impressive what this driver is capable. As all full range loudspeakers there are some problems with big orchestras but if you stay with a smaller amount of instruments (in fact everything other than a symphony orchestra) you'll be quite happy. My mother heard "Tides of Time" from Epica, some tracks from "Tron Legacy" OST and "Stars" from Sara K. a "little" louder than normal and was impressed. :D
The left box is ca. 1 m away from the corner, the right box roundabout 2 m.
The box is tuned to F3=31,5 Hz.
The guy who did the plans for this speaker did some measuring. I attached one of the sheets (TQWT in red).

ax_8tqwt_holly_18.jpg

I'm very interested in Sonido's myself, what is your opinion? And have you compared them to anything like Fostex? Nice job by the way.

Thank you! I don't compare with Fostex, but have listened many different speakers in my life and I very impressed with Sonidos! Istvan Varga have done impossible thing with his drivers - the whizzers works incredible! I have nothing to compare with them - in my opinion it's unique

Thanks for the music reference suggestions GM!!. Indeed, it seems difficult to find them. Recently discovered some Oscar Peterson recordings of Gershwin tunes (on Verve) that sound quite good.... Some times I think I need to remove more of the stuffing (cut down on it quite a bit already) to open them up a bot more.... Suggestions?? My room is pretty large.
I will try to do better for the photo links when I get some time.

I just have to post these. These are a labour of love! They've been extremely trying. I'm in the middle of a large high effeciency 2-way with a waveguide that has been less work than these. The reason bein the veneer. It's a figured eucalyptus, and it's VERY brittle. Smells so good though. The second I saw the veneer on ebay and snapped it up, instantly in love.

To me, it was worth it!

DSC_0748.jpg

DSC_0746.jpg

DSC_0747.jpg

DSC_0749.jpg

I call them the office hotties, because they're blonde and sexy and sit on my desktop ;) . They only have one coat of poly. I'll do a couple more coats in the summer with the sprayer and hope to get a real high gloss finish.

They use the EL70, which I gotta say... WOW. I said it countless times before, but WOW these drivers are so awesome, versatile, good looking, and most of all, sound amazing. My favourite driver ever < P E R I O D > It's a 7.5L heavily stuff sealed cab. I'll be applying an LT to get some bass back.

For construction details see this photobucket album: http://s874.photobucket.com/albums/ab306/tuxedocivic/Office Hotties/

Those look great! How would you compare the sound of the EL70 in a sealed cabinet to some of the TL and other vented speakers?

I see in one of the slides that the veneer tore off after clamping? Yikes. After a fairly difficult iron-on application on a set I was going to try wet glue and clamps next time. Did you use wax paper on the clamp after that?

Kyle

absolutely stunning!

The Hotties it is! These are very beautiful speakers (maybe not as beautiful as some horns, but beautiful non-the-less). Pretty sure you'll be the envy of all who hear them (and see them too;) )

tuxedocivic: what did you use for grills/covers. I assume some sort of automotive type?

Last edited:
Thanks all!!!

Kyle - The veneer didn't rip off. It just bubbled because I over glued. So I ripped it off. The worst was trimming the veneer. I didn't show many pics, but it chipped very easily. I had to make quite a few repairs.

Ask me in a month about the bass alignment. Off the cuff, it sounds good for its intended purpose on my desk. The LT will help. This driver belongs in a vented cab. Also a wider cab. The baffle step is more obviouse on this narrow and tall cab. That too was intentional to get the drivers up nearer to my ear. The bass is there but quite light.

Nanook - thanks. They aren't car audio afaik, but I don't know where they come from. They're direct from Bob at CSS. He threw them in when I bought the EL70s. They are for the EL70 as the inset magnets are right over the screw hole.