Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Adding a couple of pics of a Micro Tower project; using an extra speaker(s) in the rear for additional bass, which there is plenty.
Many of the ideas were from the forum, (the 24 hot line).
Thanks folks, they sound great.
Speakers used 4 ~ FX 120(s)

glad you're finally getting happy results, but maybe you could call them something else? -the "MicroTower" design takes a much different approach to both vent/loading - they are an MLTL vs yours which IINM is a variation on double bass reflex- as driver placement when using multiples

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Cogitech,

Glad you are enjoying the Micro Towers. The look is pretty unique too :D. Your EL70s should only get better as you rack up the hours on them.

Yes, enjoying them very much! I have about 250-300 hours on them now and they continue to blow my mind. Regarding the look; I may eventually either cover the 1/4" baffle areas with black lacquer, or add grilles, or both. My wife is not complaining about the look, but I can tell she isn't all that excited by it. They'd fit in better if I had some figurines/statues/art of African wildlife throughout the living room :)

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
They should get MUCH better :)

Right now i'm being amazed by how "full" sound they produce. Playing some quite bass-heavy rock and it sounds all fine, nothing is missing :)

The bass is certainly very surprising. I have told some co-workers about these speakers and when I say they each have 2 4" drivers, I can see the skepticism on their faces. Certainly they sound much, much larger than they are, and the bass is very fast and fluid. With my PSB Image bookshelves, a sub was necessary. With the Castle Towers, not.

But the best part is the "fidelity" or "cohesion". They just sound so damned perfect to me, for lack of a better word. As I mentioned in another thread, I have many times now thought that there was something wrong with them, as I was hearing distortion and other odd things that I had never heard before in the same tracks. Upon checking through a separate system with headphones, every time I discovered that he flaw was in the music/recording itself.

I was listening to Eric Clapton - Unplugged (ripped to FLAC from the CD) last night and I just could not get over how "present" the music was. It took no effort at all to to become completely emmersed in the experience of being there. Every beautiful note, every twang, every vibration and rattle from Eric's guitar... sublime.

I have also found that I can enjoy nearly any kind of music now. I am generally not a Kenny G fan. To be honest, the mention of his name has always made me smirk or do an eye roll. I must admit, though, that I spent a good hour last night listening to an excellent recording of him playing that sax and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If I can enjoy Kenny G on my stereo system (without thinking about his hair), then there is a lot more music out there that I need to try...

I also have to say that there is music that I have listened to repeatedly over the years that is now disappointing. I am a pretty big U2 fan going way back to the beginning, but I have to say that the last few albums are hugely disappointing on these speakers. Unforgettable Fire, October, etc. is better than I have ever heard it, but much of the recent stuff sounds like AM radio.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
what I find sometimes eerie about these is imaging / depth

My (wife's) pair are situated on either side of a couch in front of large picture window in an open plan L/R D/R kitchen area, and she listens to a lot of "relaxation" / ambient instrumental stuff that ranges from flutey Zen / Yoga / meditative to solo guitar / piano etc . Some of this stuff on no-name labels is very well recorded - at least far more so than 90% of commercial mainstream pop crap. Occasionally there'll be a rainstorm, thunderclap, temple bell, deep into the mix that sounds scarily like it's coming from the other side of the second story picture window.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
what I find sometimes eerie about these is imaging / depth

My (wife's) pair are situated on either side of a couch in front of large picture window in an open plan L/R D/R kitchen area, and she listens to a lot of "relaxation" / ambient instrumental stuff that ranges from flutey Zen / Yoga / meditative to solo guitar / piano etc . Some of this stuff on no-name labels is very well recorded - at least far more so than 90% of commercial mainstream pop crap. Occasionally there'll be a rainstorm, thunderclap, temple bell, deep into the mix that sounds scarily like it's coming from the other side of the second story picture window.

Agreed. While my PSBs are very good at imaging, the soundstage of the Castle microTowers is considerably better in the 3rd dimension. Listening to Clapton last night with my eyes closed, it felt like the wall of my house had disappeared and the background vocalists were standing about 10 or 15 feet out into my side yard on a 3 foot platform, while clapton himself was only slightly left of my fireplace. The piano was to the left of the background vocalists, slightly closer to the house than the vocalists. Percussion was slightly behind and slightly to the right of Eric, IIRC.

I also listened to Jewel for a while last night and I got goosebumps listening to her go from falsetto down to her gorgeous low range in one breath. Unreal. Or so real, I guess.

I stayed up an hour past my bed-time just to listen to more music...

Last edited:
glad you're finally getting happy results, but maybe you could call them something else? -the "MicroTower" design takes a much different approach to both vent/loading - they are an MLTL vs yours which IINM is a variation on double bass reflex- as driver placement when using multiples

Wasn’t sure what to call them, I have some serious catching up to do.

The back drivers will only be used when needed, e.g. a party or anytime extra bass is needed.

BR 60 liters Sonido speakers SWR200-16 alnico

Attachments

• DSC07021.JPG
    DSC07021.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 2,198
  • DSC07022.JPG
    DSC07022.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 2,166
ODougbo...great colour/finish, what is it?

very nice micro-Towers. Love the colour of the finish. What is it?

chrisb and others: is clear poly suitable to use as an initial coat(s) so that semi transparent finishes could be used on BB? Rather than buying more "stuff", I'd like to use what I have up before buying something that I may have limited use for (grain sealer).

ovpopov65 and Winding Man: stunning...

Last edited: