Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

exactly what is wrong with OSB, apart from the fact that it isn't the prettiest stuff in the world?

when I built the cabinet VP with 3/4" OSB with a single driver brace (from back of the driver to rear wall (1x1"), I noticed significant resonance (putting hands on the cabinet while music is playing). For me "dead" cabinet is the best (does not add any sound). In my experience MDF seems to be best, followed by plywood, but no more OSB for me.

Latest build here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/195276-el-cheapo-driver-suzy-chang.html, I added thick panels (glued MDF/plywood) and noted significant improvement in sound. So simply put OSB is not good as speaker cabinet IMHO.

when I built the cabinet VP with 3/4" OSB with a single driver brace (from back of the driver to rear wall (1x1"), I noticed significant resonance (putting hands on the cabinet while music is playing). For me "dead" cabinet is the best (does not add any sound). In my experience MDF seems to be best, followed by plywood, but no more OSB for me.

Latest build here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/195276-el-cheapo-driver-suzy-chang.html, I added thick panels (glued MDF/plywood) and noted significant improvement in sound. So simply put OSB is not good as speaker cabinet IMHO.

Regarding dead cabinets i found a pretty dead one in a swedish hifi store.
YG Acoustics Anat III

"Anat™ III’s mighty cabinet is constructed of precision-machined aircraft-grade aluminum alloy. This material, using vibration-free pressurized assembly, allows for the most acoustically desirable enclosure available. Unique to YG Acoustics™’ flagship line is the use of a multi-layered structure optimized for each module’s specific frequency range. This ensures the lowest vibration available, even at extreme volume levels."

Knocked on them and it was like knocking on a tank.

Regarding dead cabinets i found a pretty dead one in a swedish hifi store.
YG Acoustics Anat III

"Anat™ III’s mighty cabinet is constructed of precision-machined aircraft-grade aluminum alloy. This material, using vibration-free pressurized assembly, allows for the most acoustically desirable enclosure available. Unique to YG Acoustics™’ flagship line is the use of a multi-layered structure optimized for each module’s specific frequency range. This ensures the lowest vibration available, even at extreme volume levels."

Knocked on them and it was like knocking on a tank.

and that's guaranteed to ensure good sound?

slightly OT, but totally insane / obscene / criminal, even an April fools joke:

Solid Gold Organic Harmony Speaker adds music to the sculpture for $6.8 million

Nuconz,

Showing this picture to one's significant other is likely to result in foreclosure of speaker building dreams... or the relationship! :D That setup is HUGE... what are these for?

Actually if I were most guys I'd show that photo to my wife FIRST and then I'd ask her isn't she happy how little I've kept my audio system for her?

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Never said it sounded good, i didn't even listen to them. All i did was looking at them and knocking on the side panel noticing it was one very dead cabinet.

Sorry, I guess I consider some of these designs way over-engineered /built - this isn't the Space Shuttle -

And I'm yet to be convinced that no matter how achieved a "dead" cabinet is essential. The most "dead" speaker enclosure I've ever (not?) heard was one diamond cored from a basalt rock pillar - actually a very pretty piece of work. Of course this was a DIY/artisan project, but perhaps due as much to use of SEAS Excel series drivers and less than stellar XO design as to the enclosure materials, it was as musically moribund as it was acoustically inert - it made sound, but there was just no synergy.

Sorry, I guess I consider some of these designs way over-engineered /built - this isn't the Space Shuttle -

And I'm yet to be convinced that no matter how achieved a "dead" cabinet is essential. The most "dead" speaker enclosure I've ever (not?) heard was one diamond cored from a basalt rock pillar - actually a very pretty piece of work. Of course this was a DIY/artisan project, but perhaps due as much to use of SEAS Excel series drivers and less than stellar XO design as to the enclosure materials, it was as musically moribund as it was acoustically inert - it made sound, but there was just no synergy.

what about this?

over engineered?

dead?

Not in the sense that Chris means. And from the picture, likely under engineered for the energy it needs to contend with.

Does give you an idea of how big a bass horn needs to be. If one assumes free-air use, extension limit on the bottom estimated at 35 Hz (if the female is 5')

Will require digital delay.

dave

maybe we need to use some concrete to make it truly inert?

438930.jpg

what about this?

over engineered?

dead?

certainly an extreme performance concept - over-engineered to the specific goal? who knows

"dead"? - quite possibly not -
does that matter? - sorta my point - were is the threshold at which striving for that becomes a diminishing return?

Concrete's been done too, by at least one (short lived) commercial venture.
OTOH, anyone remember the various Rogers speakers?-- they were the furthest thing from inert, but they made music!
don

or DCM Time Windows / Spica SC50 - essentially sectioned Sonotube with particle board baffles and solid wood end caps -

or British Tangent speakers circa 80s - thin and strategically braced

Last edited: