Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

they are actually not sealed but bass reflex with the opening on the backside. the chamber for the alpair 10 is only 14 litres, and there is a second chamber with about 25 litres as the lower compartment. i did this because i wasn't sure about the bass response of the single alpairs and thought about adding another speaker for better bass. but actually the bass response of these speakers is very very good as buzzforb said.

but i like the idea of this design even without adding a second speaker, because there is no need for separate speaker stands, and if i ever have to move to a smaller flat i can simply cut the speakers down

Fostex, Meridian, Sanui...

Well nothing so special, but from today I am the proud owner of Meridian 206 DS :D :D :D
I'm so happy...now just to get a really god amp and build proper boxes for the Sigmas :)

Danny

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I just played Norah Jones - Greatest hits
I swear I have never heard more natural voice ...I'm amazed....

Last edited:
Well nothing so special, but from today I am the proud owner of Meridian 206 DS :D :D :D
I'm so happy...now just to get a really god amp and build proper boxes for the Sigmas :)

Danny

I just played Norah Jones - Greatest hits
I swear I have never heard more natural voice ...I'm amazed....

yup, there's definitely something captivating about the reproduction of female vocals on the Fostex Sigmas - try a little Allison Kraus (Let Me Touch You for a While - sure, ask twice) Loreena McKennit - (Dante's Prayer), Eva Cassidy (Fields of Gold, Danny Boy)

[
I'm so happy...now just to get a really god amp and build proper boxes for the Sigmas :) ....

Hello barackuda!

Install those Sigma drivers in a pair of Sachiko horns ---{I have FE208ES-R drivers (which are basically Sigma drivers maxed out to their extreme performance) in a pair Sachikos horns running fullrange with an approx freq response of 80Hz to 10Khz}--- add a pair of horn tweeters, I'm using Pioneer HW-7 horn tweeters, and you'll be stunned with how good it sounds.

So far there's no speaker I've heard, either commercial or DIY that I'd rather have. I have a 40w/ch SET amp and can seldom turn the volume up past 9 o'clock and that's not because of driver break-up either! It gets too damn loud to sit in the same room with. I still get goosebumps when I listen to these speakers and I've had them with the FE208ES-R drivers installed for about 15 months.

The dynamics, transient response, clarity, inner detail, harmonics, timbre and pitch that's about as close to live, unamplified music's sound as i've ever heard! You can see my system just before I removed the FE206E drivers and installed the FE208ES-R drivers & Pioneer horns here: Thetubeguy1954's Final Audio System If you're ever visiting Orlando, Fl. send me an email and we'll make arrangements for you to stop by and enjoy a listening session for yourself.

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Hello Tom
Thanks for the tip. Well your Sachikos look stunning!!! But my living room is a little on the small side and the BiBs for Sigmas is the biggest I can squeeze inside. Also there is WAF to consider :D
Anyway, once I'm back in my country I will build them a proper box. This box is now only to get me to listen to something.
And thanks for the invitation :) I do travel sometime to the US, but only to San Jose near San Francisco :) but I WOULD LOVE to visit some DIYers to chat about these things and listen to various setups.
Danny

Last edited:
Hello,
Here is prototype of mine Ufo-OB speakers. :)
Fullrange speaker elements are Seas FA22RCZ and bass elements are Eminence Alpha 15A.
Speaker design is dipole and baffle are made from 22 mm MDF. I already noticed that baffle material are too thin. Baffle will shake quite much when playing loud.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Friend of mine was also give some help and do some measurements for these speakers.

Seas FA22RCZ 80 cm away from microphone.
Red is 0-degrees
Green 15-degrees
Blue 180-degrees

Eminence Alpha 15A 80 cm away from microphone.
Red is 0-degrees
Green 15-degrees
Blue 180-degrees

After an intensive design and simulation for filters and EQ's, we get this kind graph to try to move simulation in active filter.

After filters was created, we did some listening and fine adjustment for filters and EQ's and here is measured graph(from one speaker) from listening position, 220 cm and 5-degrees away from speakers.

Best regards,
Joni Räsänen

Well right now they are hooked up to a el84 pp amp with a really bad transformer so no bass below 100hz.

They do tell you if you are playing 128kbs mp3's. Ill mess with them more once i get one of 2 amps up and running.

I take it the above 8ft ceiling and acoustic ceiling is going to limit my bass? The other option is to flip them upsidedown and lift them off the floor a half foot, but the floor is rubberized multilayer esd carpet.

Well right now they are hooked up to a el84 pp amp with a really bad transformer so no bass below 100hz.

They do tell you if you are playing 128kbs mp3's.

speakers with far less resolution that these would do that

Ill mess with them more once i get one of 2 amps up and running.

I take it the above 8ft ceiling and acoustic ceiling is going to limit my bass? The other option is to flip them upsidedown and lift them off the floor a half foot, but the floor is rubberized multilayer esd carpet.
It's just my thinking out loud, but I wouldn't be surprised. The BIB is essentially a folded horn intended to be boundary loaded at the mouth, and generally speaking the ceiling - provided it's rigid enough - would be close enough for this to work well for a 6 -7ft tall speaker

I'd be inclined to think that unless structurally reinforced and mass loaded, it could flex enough to act as rather a bit of a bass trap, and that if not the distance to hard surface above (whether concrete slab or joisted wooden floor) would be great enough to reduce coupling.

Inverting and slightly raising the cabinets from the floor would certainly answer that question, but it could result in the driver height being too low.

Well not to side track the thread, but how could i correct these if all the bass gets stuck in the ceiling or travels to the tool crib on the other side of the movable walls?

This is like the 2nd largest bib cab, and a lot of them are in the 40-60inch tall range. So i was under the impression i needed 1-2ft between the mouth and the ceiling. If i am suppose to have it loaded at the mouth, how do i do that with a mouth parallel with the ceiling/floor? Im up for flipping it over and having it shoot at the ground like the metronome's, but i need to know how to design the perch. aka should the rear be blocked off or should all 4 sides just be half moons, and how much to lift off the floor. Driver height shouldnt be a problem considering the center of the speaker is 3ft from the mouth. right now the "tweeter" is well above anyones sitting ear anyway.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bernie (doesn't post here) came by today with his Mar-Ken12 to get my help detailing them and wiring in the drivers. This is the 1st set i've heard (Chris has had our (unfinished) build at his house, but with stock drivers (they are now veneered awaiting time in the spray booth). Bernie's build is of solid Douglas Fir with some dark exotic or semi-exotic vent spacers (the fir used to be his floor). The aged "orangish" colour of the fir goes really well with the copper drivers.

Even with few hours on them, i get the impression that these do some things (imaging) much better than the Classic GR Mar-Ken12 that i've listened to extensively.

bernie-marKen12-comp.jpg

This is the 1st of the trapezoidal miniOnken (irregular octagons if you count the champhers) -- the configuration will spread thriout the line. The tapered shape was the solution to fitting the wide bezel A12 into the small volume it wanted (same as A10.2, FE127e, and EL70 (A10.2 will also go nto a larger version))

dave

Bernie (doesn't post here) came by today with his Mar-Ken12 to get my help detailing them and wiring in the drivers. This is the 1st set i've heard (Chris has had our (unfinished) build at his house, but with stock drivers (they are now veneered awaiting time in the spray booth). Bernie's build is of solid Douglas Fir with some dark exotic or semi-exotic vent spacers (the fir used to be his floor). The aged "orangish" colour of the fir goes really well with the copper drivers.

Even with few hours on them, i get the impression that these do some things (imaging) much better than the Classic GR Mar-Ken12 that i've listened to extensively.

This is the 1st of the trapezoidal miniOnken (irregular octagons if you count the champhers) -- the configuration will spread thriout the line. The tapered shape was the solution to fitting the wide bezel A12 into the small volume it wanted (same as A10.2, FE127e, and EL70 (A10.2 will also go nto a larger version))

dave

dave,

Those are very nice looking, Bernie's to be commended for his excellent work.

Now, with just a highlight or two using the incomparable APTS treatment....:D

Best Regards,
TerryO