Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

I have tried to build my final speakers. Well we will see how long I will keep them.

The construktion is for the Fostex FX200. The faceplate is to absorb a peek at 8 kHz. There are no filters or passive components between the speaker and the amp.

cya Till

These are really lovely. I am sorry but I can not read German and while I enjoyed the website I was wondering if there has been a discussion or plans for these cabinets that you could refer me to. Thank you in advance.

Bruce

I think Gregg the Geek came up with the idea, putting a tube into the Korean Joy of Music OB drivers at VI diyFest '05. With all the rattly bits in a tube, really should only be a temporary fix.

dave

Some one thinks they are worthwhile. See this link.

DECWARE Full Range Driver DFR-8.

I know there are pinions on the Decware stuff and I haven't heard these, but I think it is interesting that he has made a real fancy resonant cavity phase plug for one driver and then finds that this tube is as good as it gets for this one.

I'll try it with a few drivers, if I have tubes that fit just for kicks.
For the magnet to hold them, do you clip off the pins?

Some one thinks they are worthwhile. See this link.

DECWARE Full Range Driver DFR-8.

I know there are pinions on the Decware stuff and I haven't heard these, but I think it is interesting that he has made a real fancy resonant cavity phase plug for one driver and then finds that this tube is as good as it gets for this one.

I'll try it with a few drivers, if I have tubes that fit just for kicks.

if anything, I think you'd want more surface contact area than just the pin tips, and if they're not uniform length, chances are the tube might sit crooked, which could be an issue in cases of tight tolerances

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Our experience is that they tend to wander, as there isn't enuff magnetic surface area to keep them in place. Clipping the pins won't help with that, althou it will bring the centre of gravity closer to the attachment point.

This was a common sight when we tried it, oh so many years ago.

49602d1125341069-2nd-annual-vancouver-island-diyfest-2005-img_5604.jpg

dave

Just superglue 'em.

Then you had better like them. I have a pair of Fostex 208 sigmas that I bought with installed phase plugs. Unfortunately glued in. They are just a little small, a poor choice by the original owner, and I still am trying to figure out how to get them out. I think I can do it, because he didn't use superglue at least.

Maybe epoxy to a washer, then they work.

Tang Band W8-1772 Exceeded My Expectations

I was a full range skeptic. After reading posts here and elsewhere evaluating the W8-1772 I decided to give them a try. The sale price at Parts Express was the deal maker for me.

Boy, I am happy I took the plunge on these. I never believed that an 8" FR speaker could have this strong of a top end. The1772 has a rising response all the way to artound 15K! That is astounding performance for an 8" speaker.

I installed these in a 40L (1.4 Cu Ft) enclosure with a 3"D port tube 6" long. They are tuned to about 40hz. Now that I have the port tubes installed I can hear response below 40hz.

Out of the box the speakers are a bit bright. That needs to be addressed. I am in the process of experimenting with BSC circuits. I am also considering notch filter and Zobels suggested by the pros.

The sound is truly full range and clean. maging is impressive. These are expensive drivers, close to $200 each but worth every penny. If you see these at a sale price jump on them!

Attachments

• W8-1772 view.jpg
    W8-1772 view.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 2,614
>>> The sound is truly full range and clean...

Jim, those look really excellent! Pure pine boxes? They must sing! Good luck taming the rising response. i bought the 1808 so i wouldn't have to deal with that but in the future if i want to build a back horn for them i will wish i had the 1772. These drivers are pretty much truly 'full range' and easy to build boxes for.

>>> the fun factor can be exponentially higher as the physical dimensions and cost of drivers declines!

Chrisb, i can relate! But i wanted to treat myself to something special with the TBs regardless of what better values are out there. I doubt anyone buying them doesn't feel they own something unique to look at and listen to. I really enjoy mine whenever i sit down to listen to them. I feel their flaws are minimal and they let the music thru without a veil some others cast.

Besides, i bought a bunch of things to tinker with today that were much cheaper and hope to derive much pleasure from them too! The plan is to build a ported box!... that's something i haven't done in several years... and i can't wait to be covered in sawdust!

I was a full range skeptic. After reading posts here and elsewhere evaluating the W8-1772 I decided to give them a try. The sale price at Parts Express was the deal maker for me.

Boy, I am happy I took the plunge on these. I never believed that an 8" FR speaker could have this strong of a top end. The1772 has a rising response all the way to artound 15K! That is astounding performance for an 8" speaker.

I installed these in a 40L (1.4 Cu Ft) enclosure with a 3"D port tube 6" long. They are tuned to about 40hz. Now that I have the port tubes installed I can hear response below 40hz.

Out of the box the speakers are a bit bright. That needs to be addressed. I am in the process of experimenting with BSC circuits. I am also considering notch filter and Zobels suggested by the pros.

The sound is truly full range and clean. maging is impressive. These are expensive drivers, close to $200 each but worth every penny. If you see these at a sale price jump on them!

Is that a water heater or a bass trap?;)

>>> The sound is truly full range and clean...

Jim, those look really excellent! Pure pine boxes? They must sing! Good luck taming the rising response. i bought the 1808 so i wouldn't have to deal with that but in the future if i want to build a back horn for them i will wish i had the 1772. These drivers are pretty much truly 'full range' and easy to build boxes for.
\

They are made from solid 3/4" Aspen finished with clear Shellac.

I made these for a future SET Tube amp project. The 300B tubes may cure the rising top end on their own. For the time being I drive them with a class D amp. In the mean time they will require some circuitry to tame that strong treble.

I love them.

My first DIY speaker project

Fostex FE127eN in Metronome enclosure
(The dust-cap on the right speaker has been damaged by my little daughter.)

The speakers are paired in my system with a DIY EL-84 tube amp based on Decware Zen, using Electra-Print PSSS output transformers, Mundorf SIO capacitors in interstage and Audio Note tantalum resistors in the signal path. Speaker cables: ClearDay Shotgun. Source: Rotel CD player with TDA1541A DAC, "lampized" (tube output).

Attachments

• Metronome_2.jpg
    Metronome_2.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 2,139
Fostex FE127eN in Metronome enclosure
(The dust-cap on the right speaker has been damaged by my little daughter.)

The speakers are paired in my system with a DIY EL-84 tube amp based on Decware Zen, using Electra-Print PSSS output transformers, Mundorf SIO capacitors in interstage and Audio Note tantalum resistors in the signal path. Speaker cables: ClearDay Shotgun. Source: Rotel CD player with TDA1541A DAC, "lampized" (tube output).

can you tell us more about the amp - is there a project link?

Hi Chris,
The amp was built by my friend first as a clone of Decware Zen (more or less: Audiophile Tube Amps and Tube Gear from DECWARE) and then upgraded using some aspects/parts of Vaughn Audio Carina (Vaughn Audio | Carina EL84 SE).
It is still "in process" - next upgrade will be the plate chokes.
I am afraid, there is no schematic I can give you, but I attach a photo of the inside (part of it anyway, as I do not have the full picture at the moment).
Peter

Attachments

• foto_1.jpg
    foto_1.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 2,059