For those thing, "What are the H they talkin' about?"

Meet the lawyer.

dave

Attachments

• Lawyer-PAWOs.jpg
    Lawyer-PAWOs.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 3,461
Dec Ware Corner Horns

I recently completed a remodel of my motorcycle garage and finally had two empty corners in which to place corner horn speakers. So, I built a set of Dec Ware Corner Horns.
I do not believe that many of these have been built and there is little information on the Internet concerning their performance, so I thought that I should contribute a bit.

Fostex FE 166EN drivers were used. The cabinets are made from 3/4 inch MDF and since they are in a garage, they were painted to match the walls and trim.

I will provide a performance review and construction comments in the Full Range forum.

Dennis

Gaarage croppedlow res.jpg

Attachments

• Dec Corner Horn Low Res.jpg
    Dec Corner Horn Low Res.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 3,368
Hi,
I'm new here, so I thought I say introduce myself by showing my first, really humble project - a pair of pc speakers with frs8 based on this design (text is in german but plans are pretty self-explanatory) but tuned a little higher:
PC Lautsprecher Projekt - Visaton Diskussionsforum
4783911487_d491bd9acb_z_d.jpg

I built these to find out if I'm able to build enclosures. Since I didn't want to spend too much money built these from scraps of birch ply I got at a local home improvement store - one is mostly 15mm and the other one mostly 18mm - so they are far from perfect but I learned a lot, for example to avoid different thickness material in one box.(of cause I kept the internal dimensions)
They are build using hand tools only, was fun, but I'm not sure if I'll do it without a circular saw again.
But I'm really amazed how they sound, I would have never thought a pair of speakers for 35 Euros could be soo nice.
Now I'm pretty hooked on the idea of building a pair of bigger full range speakers and some frs8 speakers to give to a friend (maybe I should better start a thread on this plan).
By the way I lurked here a lot and I really like the tone around here.
greetings
daniel (almost melting)

Just a couple of pictures to show off the latest speaker build. A set of EL70 Derwents as designed by planet10 and Scottmoose. These are my first ever full range speakers, my previous build being a pair of wall mounted 2-ways, and I have to say I'm very impressed with the sound so far. Now all I have to do is stop listening to them and give them a nice finish :D

Ewan

Attachments

• Derwent_01.jpg
    Derwent_01.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 2,805
  • Derwent_02.jpg
    Derwent_02.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 2,784
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Excellent, I'd love to get some higher rez images, particularily once (if*) they get finish on them

*(it is far to easy to just enjoy them, than to actually pull the system down snf finish them :))

Do remember that they will continue to improve (mostly mid detail) over 100s of hours.

EL70 Derwents as designed by planet10 and Scottmoose

Designed by scottmoose with drawings & some details by myself.

dave

Excellent, I'd love to get some higher rez images, particularily once (if*) they get finish on them

The original images were shot at fairly high rez, but I didn't want to annoy folks on the forum with massive image attachments. Plus the smaller size hides a few of the minor defects ;). But I'll certainly post up more images when they get their final finish and I can happily post up or send some higher quality images of their current state if you want.

*(it is far to easy to just enjoy them, than to actually pull the system down snf finish them :))

Do remember that they will continue to improve (mostly mid detail) over 100s of hours.

I know all too well how easy it is to just enjoy your newly built speakers, my previous set are still in their 'natural' plywood finish some 2 years after building them.

I'm hoping to actually finish this pair properly though, but with limited time due to moving house and the fact that I need to run a flush trim bit over one of the cabinets to correct for a wonky saw cut which I won't be able to do until I get back in the local college woodshop in September (summer holidays) it may be some time before they're finished. Still gives me plenty of time to decide on what sort of finish to give the cabinets and to break the drivers in :D

Designed by scottmoose with drawings & some details by myself.

I stand corrected :eek:

Speaking of the designs, the instructor who runs the evening class where I built these was very intrigued by the design as I was building them and was impressed by the other designs on the planet10 website. He was particularly taken by the Frugal horns. One of the woodshop technicians who has built PA style speakers in the past was also interested in the build and shocked to hear that the cabinets were designed only for a single driver :eek: Having seen the internal bracing and the size he expected at least 2-3 drivers in each cabinet.

Ewan

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Speaking of the designs, the instructor who runs the evening class where I built these was very intrigued by the design as I was building them and was impressed by the other designs on the planet10 website. He was particularly taken by the Frugal horns. One of the woodshop technicians who has built PA style speakers in the past was also interested in the build and shocked to hear that the cabinets were designed only for a single driver :eek: Having seen the internal bracing and the size he expected at least 2-3 drivers in each cabinet.

Scott, myself, and a few others are working hard to set new standards for design documentation in the hopes of gaining more converts. If should be noted that Bob sponsored the development of the Lake District Series for the EL70.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The original images were shot at fairly high rez, but I didn't want to annoy folks on the forum with massive image attachments. Plus the smaller size hides a few of the minor defects ;). But I'll certainly post up more images when they get their final finish and I can happily post up or send some higher quality images of their current state if you want.

Some HiRez images to my mailbox to work with would be nice to have to put up on the website. I will be sure to minimize exposure of the glitchy bits. Unfinished for now, but for sure some when they are finished (even if that ends up being 2012 :))

dave

Thought I'd share my latest build.

My Son and his grilfriend have just moved into a apartment and set up house together so he needed a new pair of speakers. As he has most (if not all) his music stored on his Mac I needed a speaker more suited to SS amplification and decided as I had 2-pr the MA A10 driver going spare a nice Fonken-Style floorstander type cabinet would be ideal. This driver suits better the type of music my Son listens to over the Fostex FE167eN that was my second choice driver.

So after talking with DaveD (Planet10) they are based on 2 Mar-Kel10, stacked and merged into a single volume. Adjusted the spacing of the slots, and merged some together (merging the 6 slots/side into 4 slots). Stuck onto a false base. They are skinned in Oak veneer.

I must say they sound really good indeed with powerful solid bass and good transiant attack. Not sure if DaveD will be featuring this design as part of his Plans offerings. We'll have to wait and see but they are that good I'm loathe to part with them this coming weekend.

Attachments

• P8110206.jpg
    P8110206.jpg
    784 KB · Views: 1,475