Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Hi. How these speakers sound with thicker heavy rock? What design they are?

I like them with Living Color, Aerosmith, the remaster of Megadeths Countdown to Extinction [UDCD 765] - they all sound great. Some of the Metallica work is not the best match. This could also be the amplifiers fault, its more on the light side (SET). But, they are very detailed, big wide soundstage - easy to pinpoint instruments and vocal. The plan for the winter is two subwoofers to get some serious punch in the lower department. Its not realy needed, but.... :D

The loadspeaker is Ron Clarke Dallas II

Ron Clarke Horns

Excellent enclosure, no need for any BSC

Looking fukin great.:)

Thanks ;)

Hai-Fai on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I built these based on Zaph's B3S design to match my TA2020 build.

Instead of going with Zaph's box enclosure I used some teardrop-shaped vases of around the same volume - they're made of spun bamboo and quite rigid. I used the B3N instead of the B3S because a square frame wouldn't suit this enclosure (aesthetically speaking). Using lots of damping and a HPF at 120hz.

08112009934.jpg

08112009956.jpg

08112009947.jpg

The sound is as expected. Outstanding mids with clear, but a little bright, highs. Excellent detail for my jazz tastes (modern piano) and responds very well to nuanced vocalists like Feist and Regina Spektor. Not so good for rock.

Next step is to add subs. I'm thinking two paralleled in separate boxes, bi-amped with the B3Ns, and through PLLXOs.
:cheers:
Rob

Another set of uFonkens I just finished as a wedding gift for a friend. I used Dark Walnut Teak Oil finish followed by 5 coats of Minwax wipe-on poly. The veneer is White Birch Band-It paper-backed. My previous set I used the iron-on Red Oak from Band-It (can be found at Lowes/Home Depot) so with this set it was a learning experience on how to get the veneer to stick. There are few bubbles but they still came out great.

P1030075.JPG
P1030077.JPG

Another set of uFonkens I just finished as a wedding gift for a friend. I used Dark Walnut Teak Oil finish followed by 5 coats of Minwax wipe-on poly. The veneer is White Birch Band-It paper-backed. My previous set I used the iron-on Red Oak from Band-It (can be found at Lowes/Home Depot) so with this set it was a learning experience on how to get the veneer to stick. There are few bubbles but they still came out great.

P1030075.JPG
P1030077.JPG
Nice job, Chuyler!
I'm looking to build some computer speakers. Those could be it!
Don

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
New PVC Speakers "Red Lobster"

speakers i made from PVC pipes, each houses a Hi-Vi B3N 3" magnesium/aluminum alloy full range driver. frequency response is 65-20,000. 3 way binding posts on back. the bass port is on the end of the 1-1/2 pipe/stand. nice sound and a very good sound stage, lots of low end bass for a small speaker. Let me know what you think. check out the video as well

YouTube - "Red Lobster" DIY Handmade PVC Audio Speakers with Hi-Vi B3N 3" drivers

thanks

Attachments

• PB091191.jpg
    PB091191.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 3,558
uFonkens

my first venture into DIYing speakers. hammered gun-metal grey uFonken a friend and i built. wow...awesome speakers. i also have another pair of drivers and cut BB to build a pair for myself :). now i just need to find a sub to mate them with and :cloud9:.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 895
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 839
Last edited:
I built these based on Zaph's B3S design to match my TA2020 build.

Instead of going with Zaph's box enclosure I used some teardrop-shaped vases of around the same volume - they're made of spun bamboo and quite rigid. I used the B3N instead of the B3S because a square frame wouldn't suit this enclosure (aesthetically speaking). Using lots of damping and a HPF at 120hz.

08112009934.jpg

08112009956.jpg

08112009947.jpg

The sound is as expected. Outstanding mids with clear, but a little bright, highs. Excellent detail for my jazz tastes (modern piano) and responds very well to nuanced vocalists like Feist and Regina Spektor. Not so good for rock.

Next step is to add subs. I'm thinking two paralleled in separate boxes, bi-amped with the B3Ns, and through PLLXOs.
:cheers:
Rob

hi there,

where did you get the vases from?