Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Regarding the question on staining maple, you might want to look into some kind of aniline dye. Stains are basically thinned paints, with relatively large clumps of pigment that sit on top of the wood. Dyes actually penetrate the wood fibers and change the color of the wood because the pigments are much finer. Most aniline dyes are sold in powder form for mixing with alcohol or water. They are available in a wide range of colors, from kindergarten primaries to a variety of wood tones.

The other nice thing about dyes is that they are more controllable than stains. Too much color? Wipe down with solvent. Too little? Apply more. Experienced finishers often apply several different tones to achieve a desired effect.

I thought I would add a pic of my Coral Beta 8's. These are the most revealing speakers I have heard. I drive them with a Thorens TD125 mk2/SME3009 S2, Creek CD50mk2, Jadis DP60 preamp and VAC PA90C mono blocks (triode).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

marc mc

Hello Marc Mc!

If you don't mind my asking, what other models of single fullrange drivers did you previously use before implementing the Coral Beta 8's you're now using? Please believe me when I say I'm not trying to criticise anything you've said. What I'm attempting to do is understand in which context your statement "These are the most revealing speakers I have heard" is being used.

For Example: If you're making that statement and you've never previously heard or used any single fullrange drivers I understand exactly what you mean & why you feel that way! However if you've previously heard or used any AER, Audio Nirvana, Feastrex, Fostex, Lowther, Seas, STAMM, Supravox etc. single fullrange drivers than your statement has a completely different implication than if you hadn't.

If you have heard or used any single fullrange drivers previously please explain why you believe the Coral Beta 8's are the most revealing speakers you have heard. In other words what are the Corals doing better than all these other single fullrange drivers?

Oh yeah, nice looking speakers!

Thanks,

Thetubeguy1954

aaaaaaaaaaah!

I just can't get these photo's to upload. Can anyone tell me how I am to paste the photo's directly to the post as I see many of you all do?

Ian

Hang on try this!!!

Attachments

• g0949.jpeg
    g0949.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 3,347
Thanks Dave,

Just needed to stop and think as we tell our kids!! I need to practice what I preach.

Anyway here are the rest and I hope can live up to some of the great pieces presented here.

There are not many close up shots as they would emphasize my first attemps at finer wood working.

The cabinets are MDF venered with a heart Rimu. Varnished and then waxed.

Attachments

• g0951.jpeg
    g0951.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 3,198
And the final one of the set up.

Thorens 160b TT, Home made amp "Winton" from practical wireless 1977? and Pioneer stable platter with legarto someting or other.

Anyway they certainly sound great with certain recordings, maily vocals smooth sounds "Norah Jones" etc. I like thier in your face, fill the room sound (much to someones anoyance) but are up for any sujestions on improvements. Yer I know get a cross over and multiple drivers is what some would say and I will be exploring that when the Leach Clone get finished.

In the mean time I would be interested "Dave" on your thoughts about a phase plug and how it would change the sound. I have also heard of some people using a resistor in series with the 206 to tone it down?

I eventually hope to have two systems "Analog and digital". So when I complete the Leach then I have to decide on make up the Zen9 for these and the pass lab B1 buffer or new speakers for Leach.

The never ending life of DIY audio I guess.

Ian

Attachments

• g0950.jpeg
    g0950.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 3,221
Thetubeguy1954,

The Corals represent a problem in many ways and I see that in people's faces when they hear them. I have heard other fullrangers and friends of mine have heard and own some on your list and feel the Beta's do something that others don't. That is not to imply they are better, just different.

I should define revealing as, clarity, speed and dynamic. I have friends that are panals only guys and they say the Corals give nothing up in the area of speed.

marc mc

I forgot to say that I found the drivers in a junk store in mint condition and they cost me $10. I also found a single Beta 10 in the same store that I made into a centre channel for our HT, it cost $5. And my genious friend made the Beta 8 cabs for me in 2 hours. He is not an audiophile but just one of those guys that can do anything!! He looked at the plans and said " Oh yah, ok" and did it.

marc mc

Another pair of Scott’s Curvy Changs

A few pictures of my Changs.
A great speaker with musical insight, I would recommend them to anyone, a fairly easy build with basic power tools.
My cabinets are 1” Birch ply veneered with Zebrana, finish is three coats of cellulose sanding sealer and wax, quick and easy!
Steve.

Attachments

• img_4376.jpg
    img_4376.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 3,554
The drivers are fe206’s, not the first choice for the cabinet but I was keen not to use a tweeter. I had intended to keep things as simple as possible and use them with only the recommended series resistor. Scott pointed out that this cabinet design doesn’t need a BSC filter but I found that, in my room 1.8 mH and 5ohms in parallel tamed the 206’s rising response nicely. I was a bit dubious about the benefits of EnABLing but the results are well worth the effort, cleaner, smoother and more detail. (its much easer to do than to contemplate!)
Steve.

Attachments

• img_4382.jpg
    img_4382.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 3,172
Last one!

I’m sitting here and Christy Moore is standing at the other end of the room telling me to “stand up and cry like man” I feel very compelled to do so!
Thanks again to all involved in this great design
Steve.
Ps. I Would be very happy to pass-on the template for the side pieces to anyone in the south east interested in building the CC’s

Attachments

• img_4379.jpg
    img_4379.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 3,237
marc mc said:
The Corals represent a problem in many ways and I see that in people's faces when they hear them. I have heard other fullrangers and friends of mine have heard and own some on your list and feel the Beta's do something that others don't. That is not to imply they are better, just different.

I should define revealing as, clarity, speed and dynamic. I have friends that are panals only guys and they say the Corals give nothing up in the area of speed.

marc mc

Marc,

First & foremost congrats on such a great find! I wished I could find a mint condition pair of Beta 8's for $10!!!!! I'm not trying to be a P.I.T.A. but, I'm a little confused by your reply. First you said The Corals represent a problem in many ways which you in people's faces when they hear them and then you say the Beta's do something that others don't. That is not to imply they are better, just different.

As all the single fullrange drivers I've ever heard or heard of ---{AER, Audio Nirvana, Feastrex, Fostex, Lowther, Seas, STAMM, Supravox etc}--- have their own unique sets of strengths & weaknesses, it could be argued that none are better, they're all just different. If you believe that then perhaps you'll understand why I'm having a problem comprehending what you mean when you say: The Corals represent a problem in many ways...

What are the specific problems of the Beta 8's? Do they reveal most other single fullrangers have more weaknesses & less strengths in comparison? I'm asking this because I'm considering buying a pair of Beta 8's in the future but, if they have many negative problems I'd like to know what they are, before doing so!

Thetubeguy1954