Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Very Nice Indeed.

-=Germania=- said:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

9" x 6" x 5" Bamboo enclosure MCM 5584 Driver

Total Build Cost: $60
*including binding posts, wire, etc.*

All in all very nice Germania! If you don't mind my asking this question.

Maybe you've already answered this question but, what are their sonic strengths and weaknesses? Plus what the one most annoying weakness you'll address first to correct?

Thetubeguy1954

Rational Subjectivism. It's An Acquired Taste!

The midrange on these is excelent with lots of clarity for such a cheap set - a VERY good value.

Shortcommings
Sometimes, the midrange can overtake the other frequencies - but usually in vocal pieces where is does sound nice. Another issue is with songs that are rock guitar slashes. It gets "fuzzied" with those at times, but not so much with other very fast pieces (guess it doesn't like distortion...).
There is a top end spike at the 16-17kHz Freq from what I hear and that is the end of the "Stated Range". I would like to have less of a roll off from the 100Hz and down range (which consistantly rolls off though). Otherwise the reponse is pretty smooth.
They are much more directional than the higher quality NXT OEM speakers I have and more than the Infinity SL-30's which are currenty in my room. However, positioning and staging are much bigger than you think it should be. In the same room and same SPL, the mini monitors sounded like a concert hall versus the "jazz club" setting of the Infinity's. They are VERY easy to power, but they don't sound as good with tubes (tried it with a tube hybrid). The midrange is liquidy (not metalic at all) enough and anything non-SS might really push it to being "too much of a good thing".

Yes, there are shortcommings. When price and ease of build are thrown in - I really don't think there is anything that compares well in the size to SQ ratio.

Headphone wise - very similar to AKG k240 Sextets (600ohm - MP or LP) in terms of balance.

For reference, I do have some experience with B&W 800D's, Martin Logans, and some other boutique build speakers. Though, my knowledge of the speaker scene is rudementary by comparison with most people here. I am a Speaker novice.

Germania thanks for your very honest response. Of course they have shortcoming, all speakers even speakers over $100K pr have shortcomings so I wouldn't fret about that fact!

I was curious about what these speakers particular shortcoming would be mainly because I noticed they were whizzerless. I'm trying to assess what the main differences between shortcoming of whizzerless SFD's are opposed to whizzered SFDs.

Personally I still suggest going SET over First Watt. IMHO it's a non-contest issue sonically but if finances are a problem Scott is probably correct!

Thetubeguy1954

emspeaker LB7-

emspeaker LB7- 7 inch -high efficient- full range driver

Attachments

• pict0781.jpg
    pict0781.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 4,344
Spawn build

Hi guys.
Here's my contribution to the thread. Plans from Scottmoose and Planet10 at Frugal_horn.com

These are the Spawn Oliva's and sound superb.

Freaking expensive Baltic Birch cut into strips at Southern Lumber:
082220081534.jpg
[/IMG]

Here's all the peices getting ready to dry run a clamping:
082420081561.jpg
[/IMG]

More clamping:
082420081559.jpg
[/IMG]

Step assembly:
082420081553.jpg

Looking in the mouth of the beast:
090220081590.jpg

Finishing, the hardest part by far:
090220081597.jpg

Oh...the sweet sound of success:
091320081728.jpg

091320081727.jpg

091320081729.jpg

091320081732.jpg

091320081730.jpg

091320081733.jpg

091320081734.jpg

Thanks to Scottmoose and Planet10 and Frugal Horn and Madisound.

gmilitano said:
Hey Porkchop. Looks great. How do you like the sound? Did you not also try these with FE103E?

Cheers

I will say they sound "different" to me, but of course I'm used of traditional 3-way commercial speaker systems (except for my Altec A7's). I do notice the sound is more "point source" vs my old speakers. Vocals are VERY nice with these speakers, and the bass is pretty good for such a small driver.
I didn't try these with the FE103E's yet, probably when I get my income tax refund next year :)

nuconz said:

cool. what are the HF drivers?

The HF drivers are old Radio Shack 40-1375's:
Radio Shack 40-1375 picture

Some discussion about who made them is here:
http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t.pl?f=speakers&m=218984

Frequency response is here:
http://www.pacifier.com/~gpimm/40-1375.htm

Wanted to a) try a horn construction and b) the Hungarian Sonido speakers so I got myself a pair of SFR144 and some pieces of MDF:

The Quackti on top of the box is used to absorb and silence .... distortion??:xeye: