Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Here´s how they look unfolded and in position:

Attachments

• baffel2.jpg
    baffel2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 5,034
Thanks Geoff!

Don´t worry about food, the only thing I´ll put on those baffles are a lot of bracings and some oil or lacquer.

I´ve been listening to these speakers all day and what I said about not needing subwoofers was perhaps a bit optimistic.
The first impression of the bass response was better than expected, but the lowest notes on a doublebass sounds more like someone slapping a stretched rubberband than playing a bullfiddle.
I definitely want to avoid the "boomy" sound associated with vented boxes, so any extra bass drivers will be put in sealed cavities.
I´m thinking something in the lines of two 5,25" or 6,5" drivers in a straight line below the Fostex drivers with a closed cab protruding behing the baffle.
I want useable output down to 40Hz, no deeper.

Hi Peter,

This may be worth looking into: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1154032#post1154032

I find the biggest problem with OBs is shutting them down! I have 2 20y/o 6" panasonics still in the original boxes, with the rear panel off, and partly modded.

They have been playing the sound track from Big Blue (French vers) for about 3 days! The plans are done. The timber is there. I guess the Makita does not sound as nice as the sound track.

Geoff

(Am I perhaps being confused with Peter?)

Anyway, I´ve seen those slightly weird looking bass enclosures but I have some doubts about the design.

I´ve spent a couple of hours today listening to two different pairs of subwoofers along with my baffles, one pair of small sealed boxes with Peerless 5,25" drivers and one pair of big BR boxes with Scanspeak 8545.
They obviously sounded quite different, but in the end I prefered the sealed systems because of their more defined bass response.
OTOH the Scanspeak drivers are much higher quality than the (cheap) Peerless ones, so I´ll probably end up using the Scanspeaks in closed boxes (integrated in the open baffles).

The next step will be to cut holes for the 8545s in the baffles and try them without boxes. I´m not expecting them to deliver enough bass in open air, but as long as there is even a small chance I´ll try it.

I finally finished my BiTonkens.

Here is something i drew up in SketchUp, yes baffles are missing. Its so that it is easier to understand the design. Mine actually has more bracing, but i didn't want to spend too much time in SketchUp. I'll try to take a picture of the actual speakers as soon as i get my hands on a camera.

Josh

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hedlund Speakers

Well, I think I should post my work here too.

These are modified Hedlunds using Fostex 208Sigma. The driver box is different and has the same volume as the one in the back loaded horn recommended for the Fostex 208Sigma on their website. Also the height is only 5 foot instead of 6.5. My wife said the original ones would not look nice in our low ceiling room and I gladly agreed because the birch panels were 6 x 2.

Michael Speaker

Attachments

• horn finished 4 small.jpg
    horn finished 4 small.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 5,922
oshifis said:
Buschhorn downsized to 2/3 of the original dimensions. Tangband W3-871S drivers.

Very interesting and nice work. How do they sound?

I have a friend who wanted to try the W3-871S in the Buschhorn MkI.

Did you try the W3-871S in the full size enclosure? When you you say 2/3 of the original dimensions, I assume you are referring to height dimensions only.

Cheers,
Gio.

Attachments

• bhorn.gif
    bhorn.gif
    23.4 KB · Views: 5,560
Yesterday I came across some free pieces of 22mm chipborad so I decided to build a pair of "ripoles" to help my open baffles out below 90Hz.
With only a pair of 8" drivers at hand, they turned out pretty small but aside from a (room related) dip at 55Hz they played pretty good down to Fs (44Hz).
To make a long story short; they worked quite good for acoustic music but made a complete mess out of some of my faster rock albums. Not good, considering the contents of my record collection.
Back to closed cabs >100Hz
:(

Attachments

• ripol1.jpg
    ripol1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 5,491
DBR W3-871S project complete!

Here's a pic of the double-BR W3-871S project I just completed. Boy is it a tight squeeze fitting all those ports in such little spaces! Enclosure is made up of left over pieces of 3/4" baltic birch and 3/4" MDF. No listening impressions yet.

Next to them are the sealed FE164 units I build last year but never posted. Enclosure is solid oak. Not happy with those, not sure if I'll port them, go aperiodic, or maybe just put them in some other enclosure entirely.

Attachments

• fullrangers.jpg
    fullrangers.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 5,439