Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

stunning.

Carl: very nice...and high praise (the Vandersteens are no slouches either).

chris:, so if I have 10 working TT's does that mean i need to set up a cutting head on one of them (which would be a very interesting project, but probably beyond my meager skills). Q: am I the only one that built the monolithic Dmetris?

What I am posting is not really DIY, but I think is interesting. I have been at the Sapporo Chocolate Factory, and they have a small museum of gramophones. Many horns, and a nice demonstration device with the same melody fed to three different horns made respectively of metal, wood and paper, to hear the difference in sound. I hope I had something like this when I test my own devices.

You can see my little one, making his own evaluation, he is kind of used to it :).

The strange speaker is a Fostex.

Enjoy !!!

P.S.: The chocolate is good.

Attachments

• _DSC9081.jpg
    _DSC9081.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 2,152
  • _DSC9118.jpg
    _DSC9118.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 2,134
  • _DSC9119.jpg
    _DSC9119.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 2,096
  • _DSC9120.jpg
    _DSC9120.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 2,015
  • _DSC9121.jpg
    _DSC9121.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 1,819
  • _DSC9122.jpg
    _DSC9122.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 434
Thanks for the feedback guys. For now, one TT (Dual 1219) plays 78s, the other (Thorens TD165) most everything else. But I have others. Right now I refurb, use for a while, then pass on to others. In search of my wholly (sic!) grail deck...s.

Interesting photos, Nikon! That's a lot of Fostex. What did you think of the different horn materials? OT I know, so PM or post a new thread? Cheers!

Carl: very nice...and high praise (the Vandersteens are no slouches either).

chris:, so if I have 10 working TT's does that mean i need to set up a cutting head on one of them (which would be a very interesting project, but probably beyond my meager skills).
bad joke - take on the old Beck tune "where its at, I got 2 turntables and a microphone" ... chorus repeated ad nauseum ...

Q: am I the only one that built the monolithic Dmetris?
besides myself and you, perhaps just the two

I'm starting to feel a little stupid...

bad joke - take on the old Beck tune "where its at, I got 2 turntables and a microphone" ... chorus repeated ad nauseum ...

besides myself and you, perhaps just the two
I missed the joke completely and thus the title for this post. So I guess, you've already burnt the enclosures or do you use them at all?

Thanks for the feedback guys. For now, one TT (Dual 1219) plays 78s, the other (Thorens TD165) most everything else. But I have others. Right now I refurb, use for a while, then pass on to others. In search of my wholly (sic!) grail deck...s.
Carl: don't think badly of the Dual 121X tables. They are quite good and have great speed stability and the ability to "micro-adjust" the speed. I've gutted a 1216, and set it up for single play, removing all of the changer "bits". The 1216/219 tonearm/Grado sig8 is easily the equal of my Alex MkII/SME 309/Grado sig8 and my audio partner's Xerxes MkI/hot-rodded RB250/Ortofon MC3 turbo.

I missed the joke completely and thus the title for this post. So I guess, you've already burnt the enclosures or do you use them at all?

Dave & my place together aren't big enough to keep all the hundreds of speakers I've built over the last decade or so. The Demetris found a happy home with one of my nephews - and not a moment too soon - I don't always have a fridge dolly at hand and sometimes try to move the larger cabinets by myself - not smart.

I feel pretty humbled by some of the speakers here. Some really nice work guys.

I have been fooling around with an old RS 1354 that planet10 has done the EnABLed and cone treatment on and I realize it looks like a multi-way but it really is the 1354 with just a hint of help at each end (kind of a FAST?). XO's are at 120 and 12k. ReckHorn woofers, and a HiVi tweeter. Bottom ported, hence the screw "feet". Cabinets are an old experiment (prototype?) of many moons ago from Dave. Quite happy with the sound. Great bedroom speaker.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_3319.jpg
    IMG_3319.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,830
  • IMG_3327.jpg
    IMG_3327.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 678
I feel pretty humbled by some of the speakers here. Some really nice work guys.

I have been fooling around with an old RS 1354 that planet10 has done the EnABLed and cone treatment on and I realize it looks like a multi-way but it really is the 1354 with just a hint of help at each end (kind of a FAST?). XO's are at 120 and 12k. ReckHorn woofers, and a HiVi tweeter. Bottom ported, hence the screw "feet". Cabinets are an old experiment (prototype?) of many moons ago from Dave. Quite happy with the sound. Great bedroom speaker.

Cheers.

Cal,

I know you're a bit of a neat freak, but the fact that those speakers have woofers doesn't necessarily mean that they need the newspaper to be potty trained!

Best Regards,
Terry

Nice clean build, IG. Those would be ports in the corner? Just openings or with a "tube" of some sort?

I like that corner port IG. Was that a design from one of those German audio mags? Ive seen that before.
KM

Thanks guys!

The corner ports have that triangular cross-section all the way. The design is "mine" AFA I did not take it from anywhere specific, but a long time of looking at DIY speakers will plant seeds in one's brain, so cues from other designs can find their ways... :) I was mostly inspired from a Japanese min-hifi aesthetic I think, although a slot-port might have been more "correct".

I was planing on a shelved bass response, maybe 4-5dB, but two things made it so that it ended-up tuning lower than I wanted; the port's effective CSA is probably more like that of the circle that can be drawn in the actual triangle and the vent finishes maybe ~1*CSA distance from the rear panel, so it likely behaves as though it was a bit longer. IIRC I had planed Fb in the 60ies and it ended-up in the 50ies, way more shelved. This is not such a bad thing; they are my laptop speakers and I listen near-field. Placed as they are on a table, I get a certain lift in the bass at my listening position. Since I don't need to drive them too hard anyway, a bit of EQ in Foobar2000 can round things up nicely. I also use a single 0.4mH inductor in series, which takes care of the FF125K's rising response as well as BSC. It does cut-off a bit more than I'd like above ~12kHz, but it's the best/simplest I could come up with. I also have to thank Greg B for the tip on this. Overall sound is pretty balanced I'd say.

IG

Last edited:

Nice speakers, Cal. I've wrestled with what I consider fullrange - my BOFU build has a helper tweeter, so is it fullrange? I've decided that it is since the BOFU itself is run fullrange. But what it ISN'T is true point source. Anyway I've been wondering about building with low end support b/c while I like my BD Pipes with the Pioneer 4.5" fullrange, I'd like a little more low end support. Then along comes your post here. I may end up modding them with a small "subwoofer" in each box. What did you use to cut off the low driver at 120? Thanks.