Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2018, 12:29 PM   #3911
soundbrigade is offline soundbrigade  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to soundbrigade
Thanks. It would have felt bad if I had ditched them.

Tomorrow we are 4-5 Audiofooles, gathering in my place for lunch, music and tons of talk.
Will present some 2-way speakers I finally took in production (listening production), and the FR-speakers will be nice to use in comparison.
Old 18th February 2018, 02:03 AM   #3912
Impunity is offline Impunity  Canada
diyAudio Member

I managed to find Alpair 7.3's from CSS and with help of Dave at Planet 10 who designed the internal "holey braces", I built two more pairs of columns that I'm really happy with. They vent to the rear via 4 rectangular vents. ]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnLake-A7-Tower1.jpg (35.1 KB, 546 views)
File Type: jpg JohnLake-A7-Tower2.jpg (30.4 KB, 545 views)
Old 18th February 2018, 04:26 PM   #3913
diyAudio Member

I had to try. First image uoloaded by the image tag, the other using the attachment manager.
The speaker was a project on a shoestring (excuse the pun). Now scrapped.

Click the image to open in full size.

(Something went wrong when I tried to fix a speling errur)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B2n-10.jpg (96.1 KB, 559 views)
Old 18th February 2018, 04:54 PM   #3914
thetubeguy1954 is offline thetubeguy1954  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbrigade View Post
A few years ago I picked up what was left from a pair of TQWT speakers I have given to my oldest son. The nice Fostex TW15 tweeters were burned, probably due to amplifier clipping, and the bass/midrange - Fostex FE164 - were OK but the cones were slowly loosing from the chassis (bad glue?). I managed to glue the cones back and didn't want the drivers lying around and eventually self-destruct, so I bought some boards of spruce, run some simple calculations using online software and came up with a pair of ... well ... .
Did just make the final installations (some kind of filling, cheap terminals, and drivers) in order to use them tomorrow with my other speakers, when the HiFi-guys are coming.

Nothing fancy. Haven't even sanded them nor painted/tinted/oiled/waxed them, but they sound OK.
So, Magnus, the single full-range driver bug has struck you again?

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)
Old 18th February 2018, 06:01 PM   #3915
diyAudio Member

I finally got some 25-50W klass D amps up and running to use with new speakers and made the last adjustments to the pair of un-orthodox 2-way speakers.
When looking at the X-overs and the costs of the X-over componets, I 'd rather stick to full-range speakers.
Old 18th February 2018, 06:02 PM   #3916
diyAudio Member

Oh, forgot: this is what is expecting me in a couple of weeks: HiFiForum.nu - Sonido SWR 096A Ellips

Not my equipment.
Old 18th February 2018, 09:04 PM   #3917
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

i have attached Johnís (Impunity) pictures to his post.

This polygonal cyclinder is actually a deciSize Mar-Ken (9 litres) with an elaborate holey brace to create the vents out the backÖ now i have to figure out the detail of what i did to figure the same thing for A10.3

Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery-lake-holeybrace-gif

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif J-Lake-holeyBrace.gif (21.4 KB, 628 views)
Old 18th February 2018, 09:15 PM   #3918
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I finally got some 25-50W klass D amps up and running to use with new speakers and made the last adjustments to the pair of un-orthodox 2-way speakers.
When looking at the X-overs and the costs of the X-over componets, I 'd rather stick to full-range speakers.
You don't need xover components and all the nasty things they do, you can disappear down the rePhase rabbit hole instead
Old 18th February 2018, 10:13 PM   #3919
Impunity is offline Impunity  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impunity View Post
I managed to find Alpair 7.3's from CSS and with help of Dave at Planet 10 who designed the internal "holey braces", I built two more pairs of columns that I'm really happy with. They vent to the rear via 4 rectangular vents. ]
Prior to using the Alpairs, I had tried some Tang Band W4-1879's but they got a bit pricey when the $ took a turn a couple of years ago. The Alpairs are sweet though and I'm keen on Trying the 10.3's. I guess that's another thread seeing as this is a photo gallery.
Old 18th February 2018, 10:26 PM   #3920
thetubeguy1954 is offline thetubeguy1954  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Quote:
Oh, forgot: this is what is expecting me in a couple of weeks: HiFiForum.nu - Sonido SWR 096A Ellips

Not my equipment.
Magnus, what made you decide to try the Sonido oval SWR 096A as opposed to the Sonido SFR 200A 8" circular driver?

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Full Range Speaker Photo GalleryHide this!Advertise here!