Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Two recent WAW projects. Lots of repurposed drivers and wood (as is my preference). Both sound great to me, but the small BR cabinet with ScanSpeak full range and sidefiring woofer probably sound most natural. The bigger sealed ones need a bit of bass eq with the old Seas 10" woofer, but take the eq well with minimal cone movement.
Plenty of other completed projects in the same vein, if anyone interested.

IMG-0947.jpg
IMG-0948.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Attachments

• IMG_20230521_153654.jpg
    IMG_20230521_153654.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20230521_153702.jpg
    IMG_20230521_153702.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Would love to know more about the bass configuration you used. I've never heard that kind of bass, but instinctually, I imagine it would sound amazing and natural
More comments about this arrangement are here in this thread where it is discussed in more depth:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...less-full-range-speakers.374043/#post-6705153

I originally encountered the arrangement reading a lengthy thread in Lenco Heaven several years ago here:

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=31371.0

It worked well, but I ended up damaging one of my 18” AE dipole woofers playing some bass heavy Downtempo because I didn’t have a high pass filter set and the voice coil bottomed out.

My feeling is that the Dayton drivers discussed in the thread with high xmax would be better in this arrangement.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
How much would that build cost, with crossover?
If you were referring to the MTM speakers shown, IIRC the total for enclosures (including the custom quarter cut 4x10ft Sapele veneer) was approx $800 - drivers were from Dave’s dungeon tweak factory - and the XOs slightly higher than his remembrance due to the large plastic cases required for their outboard location.

They needn’t necessarily be outboard, but I generally liked to isolate passive networks, and the enclosures were initially a POC build and a test of numerous amp/ XO configurations, and I was premature in finishing them before settling on the final XO design. At one point I had them running on an Onkyo HT receiver that offered full digital XO/biamping functionality, but at the end of the day, I found the passives delivered the most seamlessly integrated performance - driven by a Neurochrome Modulus 686, they suffered no lack of low end power or definition in Dave’s very large room.