Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There are many people who make use of the air recordings on YouTube.

I have no problem with people using YouTube as source material (not good enuff for critical listening), but trying to convey what a system sounds like by recording it and putting it up on YouTube to illustrate how it sounds to others is next to useless.

The really important differences are lost. And there are so many other factors that conflate the end result…

dave

Reactions: 1 users
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
In partocular all the small details that put life into an instrument or voice and the tiny bits of information needed to create the illusion of a solid 43D image/soundstage.

If you are trying to convey what the speaker sounds like… speaker (this is what we want to listen to) > mic (immediately you ar ethrowing information away) > recorder (with an ADC) > uploaded to youTube (where it is usually compressed — ie more information thrown away) > downloaded > played back with a DAC, another amplifier and who knows what speakers.

Just too much is lost to realistically tell anything.

dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Attachments

• DDVP-20-03.jpg
    DDVP-20-03.jpg
    634.6 KB · Views: 2,093
  • DDVP-20-01.jpg
    DDVP-20-01.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 1,907
  • DDVP-20-02.jpg
    DDVP-20-02.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 1,809
  • visaton bg20 f-response.jpg
    visaton bg20 f-response.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 1,430
  • visaton bg20 imp.jpg
    visaton bg20 imp.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,564
Reactions: 3 users
Hello to you all, greetings from Belgium…
here are a few pictures off my recent build Markaudio CHR-120 Hirola speakers, very good sounding,g speakers for my diy 807 poweramp!
Now I am building the Markaudio Orykx with the same driver, curious what they will Sound like 😉

kind Regards

Attachments

• F6B7DA78-C69F-4EEF-AE29-C04B008C7875.jpeg
    F6B7DA78-C69F-4EEF-AE29-C04B008C7875.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 533
  • 621D04BD-1A22-4115-A250-0064E216D76D.jpeg
    621D04BD-1A22-4115-A250-0064E216D76D.jpeg
    356.2 KB · Views: 552
Hello to you all, greetings from Belgium…
here are a few pictures off my recent build Markaudio CHR-120 Hirola speakers, very good sounding,g speakers for my diy 807 poweramp!
Now I am building the Markaudio Orykx with the same driver, curious what they will Sound like 😉

kind Regards
Wow, they look great. I love the design and the plinth at the bottom.

What have you used to finish them?

Sorry, I don't know what "the really important differences" are.
Pretty much everything IME based on probably at least a hundred videos of folk's Altec speakers and I've yet to hear one that sounds like any Altecs I've owned/auditioned! No clue why other than I assume that decent headset + typical computer systems aren't 'hifi' enough, not to mention that most are just folks wandering around, moving in on individual speakers with room modes continuously changing the response. :(

That said, the B20 surprised me overall except its low bass sounds like it's been added as a separate, somewhat 'flat/vague' soundtrack, so wonder if it's too well stuffed or needs a different type of stuffing. Note too that I've always used fiberglass insulation and as little as possible based on the pioneer's click test, so can sound quite different in some cases: https://flic.kr/p/9eWbqJ
edit: Guess we need some sort of inexpensive set-up routine for all to follow if we're going to do more than just be entertained (or not).

I give up! What are these?
IMG_20211123_132015.jpg

I give up! What are these?
IMG_20211123_132015.jpg IMG_20220104_131602.jpg

They are ( tiny ) omnidirectional speakers, the driver is mounted with the magnet on the outside, so the cone disperses the sound radially. The enclosure is designed to absorb the rear sound wave, hence the baffle inside that also acts as a brace. The top wedge is currently made of wood, however I intend on making some out of solid steel to add weight to the driver; I did experiment with using small weights on the wood wedges and it did seem to reduce vibration in the enclosure. I initially tried them on their own, at first the lack of bass was very obvious, however after a while and becoming acclimatized to the sound I started to hear bass despite it's absence, an interesting effect. I have since used them as a sat and sub system with an amp/sub for cheap computer set up. Despite a ( presumed ) gap in the frequency range between the omnis and the sub, and the boomy one note nature of the sub, they provided a surprisingly enjoyable sound, good enough for TV or DAB radio. They may be toy speakers, but they do sound decent in the mid and treble. I know that the workmanship is a bit lacklustre, however I thought that they might inspire others to try something different.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are ( tiny ) omnidirectional speakers...

Neat! What driver do you use? Did you ever measure the frequency response? Is the tapered line stuffed in actual usage? If not, it'll help. I'd even advise drilling out a terminus at the apex of the pipe and stuff it well. As it is, it's a half-wave resonator, with a terminus it'll be quarter-wave and be effective lower in frequency. Thanks for sharing a not often seen design!