Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Hi!
Can you tell me more about the construction details? A friend will try a similar design with 2 pairs of alpair 7.3.

Kind regards,

Douglas
Chr70.2 Microtower. I am very happy with these. I used a water based stain and varnish that went on to the birch ply much better than I expected.
323827d159f3d8874d4cd724b87ae853.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My recently crafted Welsh slate full range speakers with Manger® sound transducer

Made with a visco-elastic bitumen core sandwiched between two layers of slate followed by polyurethane foam, pure sheep wool and Mundorf® unicorn tail wadding. Before application of the composite layers the stone has a ring but following application the enclosure becomes extremely damped, so much so that by pressing your ear against the side of the enclosure while playing music at high volumes you will notice a very quiet, distant muffled sound that is barely audible over the sound coming from the front of the speaker.

The Enclosure volume has a shape designed to funnel the internally radiated sound to its rear tip where it is dispersed by the Mundorf® Twaron Unicorn Tail wadding and pure sheep wool. The Twaron fibres run in a fine layer above the sheep wool from the front to the back inner point, further focusing the sound along their length to the dispersing back point of the enclosure. There are no internal parallel surfaces to prevent standing waves.

By utilising the MANGER® sound transducer the dolmens are able to achieve an incredible 80Hz to 40,000Hz frequency response with a blisteringly fast 13µs rise time. The active surface of the MANGER® sound transducers flexible diaphragm becomes smaller as the frequency increases so that the effective surface is always kept small in comparison to the wavelength to be radiated.

dolmen 2med.jpg Dolmen02med.jpg Dolmen03med.jpg dolmen07med.jpg dolmen11med.jpg dolmen05med.jpg

frequency graph 1/6 smoothing and 1kHz peak @ 2.4v , 1m
peak.png

Dan

Last edited:
Apologies for missing this post,
Yes, I would say it's a bit more than simply being in love with the latest project.
Over the past 12 months, I've been on a major drive towards simplicity both with amplification and speakers.

The simpler I've gone, the better the sound I've had. These be' Faned 1950s/60s styled floorstanders are the ultimate expression of that simplicity: no ports, no transmission lines; just a basic rectangular box with a brace inside and some damping material.

And the sound they put out is great: no harshness, no shout; just room-filling musical entertainment. Whether or not they lack ultimate treble extension is irrelevant to my 60 year old ears. I'm grateful I don't have to worry about supertweeters.

The new Fane advert should go:

"Our new 12 and 15 inch triple cone drivers:
Full range speakers for the over 50s" :D

Hi Steve - How are the Fanes holding up over the long haul?

I've got a pair on the way and plan to try them in a pair of JE Labs OBs I've got that take 12" drivers.

Has anyone else tried the Fane Sovereign 12-250 TC in an OB?