Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Hello Tom (Scata),

just mention that the speaker plan is directly from Lowthers own collection:eek: so no harm upon Xmax, but I do agree to your point.

Love the speaker and the appearance, nice looking Xmax and I hope that it sound as good as it looks.

By the way Tom, tnx for new music to explore, never heard about Silhouette before but now I do listen.;)

Hi TIC37!

I'm glad that I was not only able to turn you on to a new Prog-rock group you hadn't previously heard before, but even better that you like what you heard! That's precisely why I always try to put down what I'm listening to and I wished more members would do this! To me there's nothing better than being exposed to music I never heard before that I really enjoy listening to! I find that putting a well-recorded piece of music on my system that I've just recently been exposed to is almost like listening to a new audio component, because I get to hear things on my system I never heard before...

I'm listening to: Moments of Clarity by Cryptic Vision

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Mark Audio Pluvia 7 in 7.5 liter reflex enclosure.

Attachments

• WP_20160215_14_45_51_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160215_14_45_51_Pro.jpg
    944.1 KB · Views: 2,154
  • WP_20160215_16_17_49_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20160215_16_17_49_Pro (2).jpg
    949.5 KB · Views: 2,058
First attempt at a BLH Speaker.

Built these this fall as a experiment, having never built a back loaded horn speaker before. Used treated 1 x 6's, a big no-no, but hey it was a experiment. The speakers were a pair of Tang Band W3-881SI's I had sitting around for a couple years. Coated the inside with diluted carpenters glue and water and the outside with Min-wax.

Now a few months, later I find myself listening to these more than my other speakers. They make a good amount of base and I don't find them fatiguing. I can listen to these with Hard Rock and find I don't miss much, over bigger more room vibrating speakers. Anyway, since I can say I like them, I'd thought post pics of them. I don't post much on here, but I always reading the site for info and many in this forum gave me the inspiration to try these so thanks.

Attachments

• 100_1011.JPG
    100_1011.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 1,803
  • 100_1013.JPG
    100_1013.JPG
    305.4 KB · Views: 1,759
Very nice looking system you have there Poultrygeist! Tell me, what's your opinion of the Guanzo 6n3 preamp? Also what do you think of the sound quality, sensitivity and dynamics of Ed's bucket subs? And how much power are you using to power them to musically satisfying levels?

I'm listening to: Afterdark by Halie Loren

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Sorry I'm so late responding. The $37 Sain Smart 6n3 from Amazon is a no brainer and an absolute joy in my TPA3116 system. Competitive with preamps many times it's price and sounds it's best with cheap Russian 6n3p-ev's.

Reading about the bucket subs I was underwhelmed with the idea. That all changed when I visited Ed and heard them for the first time. I couldn't get home and build mine fast enough. They integrate so well with my single drivers you don't realize they're playing until switched off and the music falls flat on it's face. Very articulate bass and I believe Ed's stated measurements. I use a Yung SD300 watt plate amp to drive both and it's a gracious plenty. Ed uses a Crown which is an even better choice but I'm satisfied with the Yung.

Other's have tried to modify Ed's design with less than satisfying results. The only change I made was adding a mounting ring under the plastic baffle so the Peerless woofers could be mounted with screws rather than glued down. I special ordered the 5 gallon buckets in black from HD as most plastic buckets are nearly impossible to paint. The chrome trim is automotive door molding. I later added 10" waffle grills from PE which fit perfectly.

P5080061.jpg

Hello Again Poultrygeist!

First let me tell you how wonderful you've managed to make a pair of plastic buckets look! These are without a doubt the finest rendition of Ed's bucket subs I've ever seen anywhere. After reading your post about how happy you are with their sound and after seeing how nice you've made them look. Well, all I can say is, I'll definitely be building a pair for myself! I want to thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. You'll be happy to know it definitely was what I needed to hear & see and it was your post that finally convinced me to make the plunge myself!

I'm listening to: Make Someone Happy by Sophie Milman

Thetubeguy1954

Built these this fall as a experiment, having never built a back loaded horn speaker before. Used treated 1 x 6's, a big no-no, but hey it was a experiment. The speakers were a pair of Tang Band W3-881SI's I had sitting around for a couple years. Coated the inside with diluted carpenters glue and water and the outside with Min-wax.

Now a few months, later I find myself listening to these more than my other speakers. They make a good amount of base and I don't find them fatiguing. I can listen to these with Hard Rock and find I don't miss much, over bigger more room vibrating speakers. Anyway, since I can say I like them, I'd thought post pics of them. I don't post much on here, but I always reading the site for info and many in this forum gave me the inspiration to try these so thanks.

Those W3-881's are great sounding drivers, specially back when you could get them from PE for $11.00 each. I had them on TABAQ, and performed extremely well. But, their build quality is not the best.

That a set of Scan-Ken?

dave

PS: please turn off the tapatalk advert on your iPhone :cop:

Dave,

I have two questions:
1) The space between the rear panel and the throat of the vent is really narrow. Is it supposed to be like this or I made something wrong ? I put the 12mm felt, but not on the real panel, otherwise I will close it completely.

2) I have a pair of uFonken with the Fostek drivers. I really like the sound of them for small spaces, near field listening. What bigger brother would you recommend to build to have the a similar signature in bigger spaces ?

Thanks,

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1) The space between the rear panel and the throat of the vent is really narrow. Is it supposed to be like this or I made something wrong ? I put the 12mm felt, but not on the real panel, otherwise I will close it completely.

That bend is part of the length of the vent. It is (usually) the same distance from the back as the vent height. The damping can come within 20-25mm of the vent opening

2) I have a pair of uFonken with the Fostek drivers. I really like the sound of them for small spaces, near field listening. What bigger brother would you recommend to build to have the a similar signature in bigger spaces ?

The FF105wk is almost as good but with better extension on the bottom. The FF125wk has some annoying HF resonance issues that i can (mostly) remedy with treatment. Some complain of lesser but similar resonaces are reported by some wrt the FF105, our pair is treated.

You might try adding helper woofers to the uFonken… currently i am listening to uFonkenPlus* with twin push-push SDX10 woofers.

*(with FF85wKeN -- i also have a pair with FF85wk of the same sensitivity, haven't compared the 2 yet)

If you can find a pair of FE103 SOL they are probably the best 4" Fostex has made for awhile (at least untreated)

dave

That bend is part of the length of the vent. It is (usually) the same distance from the back as the vent height. The damping can come within 20-25mm of the vent opening

Then it's OK, it's exactly 9mm.

The FF105wk is almost as good but with better extension on the bottom. The FF125wk has some annoying HF resonance issues that i can (mostly) remedy with treatment. Some complain of lesser but similar resonaces are reported by some wrt the FF105, our pair is treated.

You might try adding helper woofers to the uFonken… currently i am listening to uFonkenPlus* with twin push-push SDX10 woofers.

*(with FF85wKeN -- i also have a pair with FF85wk of the same sensitivity, haven't compared the 2 yet)

If you can find a pair of FE103 SOL they are probably the best 4" Fostex has made for awhile (at least untreated)

dave

What enclosure are you thinking about Fonken or mFonken ?

What about the FE168EZ (There are a pair on sale)

Thanks,

Davide

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Then it's OK, it's exactly 9mm.

9mm in the Scan-Ken, 12mm in the uFonken

What enclosure are you thinking about Fonken or mFonken ?

The mFonken in near optimum size. There are also a number of 5 litre miniOnken that are bang on optimum.

What about the FE168EZ

That really wants to be in a horn. Victor, Haruna, or Austin A166, some tweaking of the air cavity may be needed. Reportedly works in FHXL too.

dave

Nope, they're ugly as all sin. What'd you use, some old stair treads or something?

Next thing you'll tell us is you're not even gonna keep them they're so ugly. You're gonna ship them halfway across the world somewhere.

On top of that, what did you use to take the pics, your toaster?

I tell ya, some people...

What's that? Me? Jealous? Not a chance man, I mean my BFAM.