Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Tangband W8-1808 vs Fostex 168z. Two winners! H-frames provide bass support.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    653.5 KB · Views: 1,872
I have charts for everything I do. I'll try to garher them and post. The H-frames are connected to a sub amp allowing the perfect (or at least good enough to my ears) blend.

I determined 18" baffles allow the full range drivers to reach down to about 150Hz - 200Hz. The H-frames have a rising response and are dialed in around 80Hz - 90Hz. The resulting sound is full and rich. After two or three songs I'm able to dial in the right amount of bass regardless of which fullrange driver is being used. I plan to make baffles for some of my other drivers (Betsy, various TBs and Fostex). I love it!

Not sure if you noticed, but I built a simple stand so I can just slide new baffles into place.

I have charts for everything I do. I'll try to garher them and post. The H-frames are connected to a sub amp allowing the perfect (or at least good enough to my ears) blend.

I determined 18" baffles allow the full range drivers to reach down to about 150Hz - 200Hz. The H-frames have a rising response and are dialed in around 80Hz - 90Hz. The resulting sound is full and rich. After two or three songs I'm able to dial in the right amount of bass regardless of which fullrange driver is being used. I plan to make baffles for some of my other drivers (Betsy, various TBs and Fostex). I love it!

Not sure if you noticed, but I built a simple stand so I can just slide new baffles into place.

Very interesting. It has the advantage too that one can use an itty bitty tube amplifier with the baffles and let the plates take the brunt of low bass output.

It seems that the time to move my small FR collection out of its storage has arrived :)

Hi the stand was a great idea, I like it a lot! Did you have a preference of either the Fostex or Tangbands or are you stating it's a complete tie and you have no preference whatsoever?

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

ghp, yes, the tubes (or T-amp) power the main driver and the sub amp powers the bass. The H-frame makes this possible since it has a rising respose. I believe H-frames, I-frames and U-frames all have a similar rising response perfect for blending into these open baffles. I'm not sure a more typical subwoofer would extend high enough in frequency to meet the mains in this setup. If it didn't sound right I'd ditch the whole project.

TubeGuy, the TB is better.

When compared side by side on my 18" x 18" baffles, the TB is clearer, more detailed, more extended on top, produces a larger image and is slightly more efficient. If I had to choose just one I'd choose the TB. But I don't have to choose and enjoy the 168z because it has a mellow, midrangy sound that's more laid back with a softer treble. It really needs a tweeter. The TB can sound scary real sometimes depending on the recording. The Fostex can also produce goosebumps but does it less often.

The TB 1808 is the best full range driver I own but that doesn't stop me from enjoying lesser drivers from TB, Fostex, etc. Even the very inexpensive Radio Shack 1197 (I paid $1ea. for several) sounds incredible on open baffle with bass support.

Storm, the handy stand will help me enjoy my collection of drivers and music and keep me out of trouble in the process. I did not want to glue and screw anything and now I just slide a new baffle into the stand. It will open up the possibility of trying new drivers more often.

Last edited:
Alpair 7.3 Tabaq

I'm back from a bit of a building (but not listening) break. College has been pretty intense, but I finally had a chance to build a nice setup in this room.

Alpair 7.3 in folded Tabaq's. I water jetted the enclosure (which was... interesting), and gave it red stain. Didn't spend too much time on finish tbh, but the sound is what matters :D

It sounds awesome, the detail is ridiculous, and I don't even really need a subwoofer.

Now I just need a few more monitors...

Attachments

• IMG_1788.jpg
    IMG_1788.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 2,586
  • IMG_1784.jpg
    IMG_1784.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 1,820
  • IMG_1777.jpg
    IMG_1777.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 1,887
Last edited: