Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

These are my first real speaker that I have made and enought happy with result. Parts are sawed very precise in local wood center, but all routing is made with dremel.
Just after routing them I think I find out how it shoud be done to get better quality, but didn't have sawed spare parts so I leave it like that.
Sweet pinks have FR88EX driver in 2.2L box and tuned to somewhere around 80Hz to get little kick for TV.
Color is compromise for placing them as TV speakers. As little bonus speaker terminals got little custom "brand" engraving.

Attachments

• 20140625_014.jpg
    20140625_014.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 2,244
  • 20140625_020.jpg
    20140625_020.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 2,195
Just my little portable speaker project, "Pocket Horn". using XS3868 BT module, PAM8803 amp & Altec Lansing 1" fullrange.
A great companion for my BT compatible devices.
Pure simple control, Volume Up/Down, BT On/Off. Battery Charge On/Off.
Audio input BT & 3.5mm.
When I can find mini passive radiator I'll make a close enclosure, for now horn sounds fine. Love to test those mini 1-2" Tang Band, sadly shipping is so expensive to oz.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Kirishima Build Pictures

Have been using these for almost a year now and don't think I would ever go back to conventional boxes. Planet10 phase plugs were a worthwhile addition - they have smoothed out the upper mid and improved imaging. Those FE206 drivers took ages to run in though.

They look like a real life text-book example. Congratulations on the build quality!
Do you think you need some low bass assist for them ?
I have a couple FE166E BIBs but you got my hands itching :)

Low bass performance definitely depends on room positioning and amplification. My room is pretty much square so not ideal. When I had them firing down the longer wall there was not much mid bass but occasion very deep bass on some recordings. Moving them to the alcoves and close to the wall (completely wrong on paper) gives me a nice tight low bass hit in my listening seat and very little anywhere else in the room. SE triodes with decent transformers are a must. I'm using triode strapped 12E1s with Sowter 8995/8901 which work nicely but I would like to try 300b and 2a3 amps with them.
If I was doing the build again I would do all the cutting myself and probably buy better quality ply. I got the wood supplier to make the long cuts on their panel saw. Some pieces were so far out that I had to glue on shims and plane them square. The plans on the frugal horn / planet10 website are clear and easy to follow. I drilled and pegged all the joints so that I could trial fit before glueing. I had eight clamps which was just about enough to hold everything together for glueing. Life would have been easier with a few more - the ones that you can operate with one hand are recommended.

Just my little portable speaker project, "Pocket Horn". using XS3868 BT module, PAM8803 amp & Altec Lansing 1" fullrange.
A great companion for my BT compatible devices.
Pure simple control, Volume Up/Down, BT On/Off. Battery Charge On/Off.
Audio input BT & 3.5mm.
When I can find mini passive radiator I'll make a close enclosure, for now horn sounds fine. Love to test those mini 1-2" Tang Band, sadly shipping is so expensive to oz.

Hi Jfresh!
I really like your little horns. is the amp integrated in the rear panel?
and the BT pcb?
Where is the battery?
Could you share the drawing? I'd like to make some in aluminium.
Gerrit

Kirishima Build Pictures

Have been using these for almost a year now and don't think I would ever go back to conventional boxes. Planet10 phase plugs were a worthwhile addition - they have smoothed out the upper mid and improved imaging. Those FE206 drivers took ages to run in though.

Martin congrats on your Kirishima speakers! I've been using Sachikos ---{which is the predecessor to the Kirishima if I understand correctly what happened}--- for some 8+ years now. I too, could never go back to a low-sensitivity set of speakers again. After trying many full-range drivers such as Fostex FE206E, FE206ES-R, FE208ES-R and Lowther DX4.

I've settled on the Rispoli-modified Dayton PS220-8 drivers! These drivers are absolutely amazing! They have absolutely NO SHOUT! They can play Prog-rock i.e., Yes, EL&P, Genesis etc. at 100dB+ SPLs without the slightest hint of distortion. Yet at the same time they can turn around and play chamber music or a small acoustic jazz ensemble with all the beauty and harmonic & timbrel integrity of tone that only the very best, most expensive fullrange drivers can. In my Sachikos the PS220-8 covers from 50Hz to 18KHz as perfectly as any fullrange driver I've heard! I have Fostex T900a super-tweeters crossing in at 8Khz and covering up to 35Khz.

You can see my set-up here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125559606@N04 If you'd like. In any event I hope you'll continue enjoying your Kirishima speakers as much as I've enjoyed my Sachiko speakers these past 8+ years now. Also if I can be of any help or if you'd like to exchange any info with me. Please don't hesitate to contact me at: thetubeguy1954@yahoo.com

I'm listening to: Tarantella by Lars Danielsson

Thetubeguy1954

Nice....

Martin congrats on your Kirishima speakers! I've been using Sachikos ---{which is the predecessor to the Kirishima if I understand correctly what happened}--- for some 8+ years now. I too, could never go back to a low-sensitivity set of speakers again. After trying many full-range drivers such as Fostex FE206E, FE206ES-R, FE208ES-R and Lowther DX4.

I've settled on the Rispoli-modified Dayton PS220-8 drivers! These drivers are absolutely amazing! They have absolutely NO SHOUT! They can play Prog-rock i.e., Yes, EL&P, Genesis etc. at 100dB+ SPLs without the slightest hint of distortion. Yet at the same time they can turn around and play chamber music or a small acoustic jazz ensemble with all the beauty and harmonic & timbrel integrity of tone that only the very best, most expensive fullrange drivers can. In my Sachikos the PS220-8 covers from 50Hz to 18KHz as perfectly as any fullrange driver I've heard! I have Fostex T900a super-tweeters crossing in at 8Khz and covering up to 35Khz.

You can see my set-up here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125559606@N04 If you'd like. In any event I hope you'll continue enjoying your Kirishima speakers as much as I've enjoyed my Sachiko speakers these past 8+ years now. Also if I can be of any help or if you'd like to exchange any info with me. Please don't hesitate to contact me at: thetubeguy1954@yahoo.com

I'm listening to: Tarantella by Lars Danielsson

Thetubeguy1954

What kinda tube amp is that in those pictures. Looks beautiful. I also like your horns man they appear to be nicely built. I like how they angle back like that too. Well done. Peace

Pete

What kinda tube amp is that in those pictures. Looks beautiful. I also like your horns man they appear to be nicely built. I like how they angle back like that too. Well done. Peace

Pete

Hi Pete!

Thanks for your kind words. The amp is an Italian, 135lb, 40W/ch, Mastersound Reference 845, integrated, SET amp. Believe it or not, it sounds even better than it looks. The horns are Sachikos and they are indeed nicely built, just not by me. I'm disabled so I had the Sachikos professionally built by Cardersound ---{who called them Madisons. Sadly Cardersound has since gone out of business.}---and I had them add a Rosewood veneer, so they'd look nice too!

Getting them to angle back was actually very simple. Then came with two sets of feet. One set for the front and one set back. I simply removed the rear set and BINGO they leaned back as shown. This actually helps to make the soundstage wider & deeper. Peace & Grace to you as well...

I'm listening to: One More Once by Michel Camilo

Thetubeguy1954

Sweet...!!

Hi Pete!

Thanks for your kind words. The amp is an Italian, 135lb, 40W/ch, Mastersound Reference 845, integrated, SET amp. Believe it or not, it sounds even better than it looks. The horns are Sachikos and they are indeed nicely built, just not by me. I'm disabled so I had the Sachikos professionally built by Cardersound ---{who called them Madisons. Sadly Cardersound has since gone out of business.}---and I had them add a Rosewood veneer, so they'd look nice too!

Getting them to angle back was actually very simple. Then came with two sets of feet. One set for the front and one set back. I simply removed the rear set and BINGO they leaned back as shown. This actually helps to make the soundstage wider & deeper. Peace & Grace to you as well...

I'm listening to: One More Once by Michel Camilo

Thetubeguy1954

We are selling our house to move back to PSL Florida. Maybe someday I can come and hear these beauties in person hehe... Enjoy!

Pete

We are selling our house to move back to PSL Florida. Maybe someday I can come and hear these beauties in person hehe... Enjoy!

Pete

Pete when are you expecting to be in Florida? I would very much welcome the chance to have you over for a listening session anytime you're near Orlando AND have the spare time available to come over for a listening session! Just be sure to bring a few of your favorite CDs that you're intimately familiar with their sound. One word of caution though... Most people that come over for their first listening session, plan on staying an hour or two. But that time-limit usually gets pushed out the window and they end up staying 3 to 5 hours and a few stayed even longer. You have my email address: thetubeguy1954@yahoo.com So just send off an email to me and I'll provide you with my address & phone number.

I'm listening to: After Dark by Halie Loren

Thetubeguy1954

well....

Pete when are you expecting to be in Florida? I would very much welcome the chance to have you over for a listening session anytime you're near Orlando AND have the spare time available to come over for a listening session! Just be sure to bring a few of your favorite CDs that you're intimately familiar with their sound. One word of caution though... Most people that come over for their first listening session, plan on staying an hour or two. But that time-limit usually gets pushed out the window and they end up staying 3 to 5 hours and a few stayed even longer. You have my email address: thetubeguy1954@yahoo.com So just send off an email to me and I'll provide you with my address & phone number.

I'm listening to: After Dark by Halie Loren

Thetubeguy1954

We are planning to move back to South Florida PRECISELY at the time when we are able to sell our home LOL. NO IDEA> I am hoping sooner rather than later altho where we live here in Tennessee is actually quite beautiful. We live just outside of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and maybe a half hour from Gatlinburg, Tn.

I will certainly look you up when and if we get there as I am ALWAYS up for meeting new fellows and enjoying quality audio systems. So far I have been able to meet a couple nice folks locally who have some nice systems and it is always an enjoyable experience. I have never heard speakers like yours in person before and I am interested in knowing what a large quality horn like that can sound like.

Appreciate the invite my friend, I will hopefully be able to take you up on it at some point. LOL Peace

Pete