Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Take a pair of unused old Plessey full-range drivers, some lovely New Zealand pine blockboard, and some beeswax. They blow the KEF iQ7s that cost me $1800 out of the water. Total cost $200 and 2 hours work.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Richard

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Richard. Are those the 8" versions? I have a pair and have thought about an OB solution :) How do they sound, and what are the dimensions of your panels please?

Tim

A little something I built recently. Used to have the FF125K in much smaller enclosures with a tuning I had somewhat messed-up. This is 8L tuned to 69Hz. The enclosures have been built to the so-called acoustic ratio, approx 0.8:1:1.25. The driver has golden ratio offsets, both horizontally and vertically. The vent is 1"x3", about 4" long.

The 11mm BB-ply had this wildly patterned veneer (which it should not have in theory), but it turned out looking great with two coats of tung oil IMO. Small gauge speaker wire and tube amps are needed here, as between 2 and 4ohm of drive impedance is best to get good balance. It is currently driven by an RCA/Victor 6BQ5 PP amp, with some CAT5 twists for wiring.

It is not bad as pictured, not especially close to room boundaries, but better placement could be achieved for sure for reduced baffle-step. I may wind some 27awg tapped inductors to EQ the very top-end and add a bit more DCR to lower damping further.

ff125ka.jpg

ff125kb.png

ff125kc.jpg

IG

Hi There IG,

That looks great. By killing off a bit of that Damping Factor it should result in a pretty nice balance and a bit better Bass.

You certainly do some very nice work! :D

Best Regards,
TerryO

Thanks! While never meant to be bass monsters, (high-ish Fs, low Qt, very low Xmax), they can perform fairly well at low to medium levels. "Girls and guitars" type material is favoured of course, but it can pull-off well produced rock better than I expected. SE amplification and proximity to the back wall might be all they need.

I'm having fun doing some comparison: :)

DSCN2245.JPG

The tiniest of all three, the FF85WK in the small BLH, actually have the "bigger" sound, but in a boisterous kind of way. Does not suit all material, but can be quite good on certain stuff. The W4-1320SIF have the most extended low-end and sound the most even as is. The FF125K's are much more sensitive than the two others, which might be comparable. They are also much more detailed, outside of the fact that midrange and HF are more pronounced.

IG

Last edited:
The large speakers are 5cu.f golden ratio enclosures with AE TD15M bass drivers and BMS 4550 on QSC waveguide. 18mm BB-ply all over, back and front panels doubled up. About 110lb each. :) The setup is actively bi-amped with a miniDSP 2x4. The amps are Kenwood KM-X1000 for the woofer and Yamaha M45 on the tweeter.

IG

A little something I built recently. Used to have the FF125K in much smaller enclosures with a tuning I had somewhat messed-up. This is 8L tuned to 69Hz. The enclosures have been built to the so-called acoustic ratio, approx 0.8:1:1.25. The driver has golden ratio offsets, both horizontally and vertically. The vent is 1"x3", about 4" long.

The 11mm BB-ply had this wildly patterned veneer (which it should not have in theory), but it turned out looking great with two coats of tung oil IMO. Small gauge speaker wire and tube amps are needed here, as between 2 and 4ohm of drive impedance is best to get good balance. It is currently driven by an RCA/Victor 6BQ5 PP amp, with some CAT5 twists for wiring.

It is not bad as pictured, not especially close to room boundaries, but better placement could be achieved for sure for reduced baffle-step. I may wind some 27awg tapped inductors to EQ the very top-end and add a bit more DCR to lower damping further.

View attachment 362732

View attachment 362733

View attachment 362734

IG

the smaller blh fostex's next to the system rack, how are those? those look like the perfect size for what i need. how do they sound with classical and jazz? how do they sound with metal? i listen to a ton of hardcore and industrial.

the smaller blh fostex's next to the system rack, how are those? those look like the perfect size for what i need. how do they sound with classical and jazz? how do they sound with metal? i listen to a ton of hardcore and industrial.

These are not bad. The "horn" more than compensates for baffle-step loss and the overall sound could even be called somewhat boisterous, with some choppiness in the mid/upper bass, but not in that bad a way, some might call it "lively". They're solid down to ~75Hz. They'll do quite well on Jazz, electronica and some indie rock. Metal is not quite their strong point. The design could likely be improved upon, it was mainly to test a Hornresp sim versus reality, which worked out decently well. A good 8" driver in an MLTL might be better for metal and cie.

IG

These are not bad. The "horn" more than compensates for baffle-step loss and the overall sound could even be called somewhat boisterous, with some choppiness in the mid/upper bass, but not in that bad a way, some might call it "lively". They're solid down to ~75Hz. They'll do quite well on Jazz, electronica and some indie rock. Metal is not quite their strong point. The design could likely be improved upon, it was mainly to test a Hornresp sim versus reality, which worked out decently well. A good 8" driver in an MLTL might be better for metal and cie.

IG

thanks for the reply.

yeah im a woodworker. i dont begin to pretend to know about the design aspet, nor do i want to to know the design theories in detail. i find whenever i dive into super technical almost engineering type stuff i start to not enjoy the stuff anymore.

lol so i find guys with speakers like you have and just ask questions if it would work or not:cheers:

My full range

I changed the terminals, to be able to use all kind of cables.
I installed WBT copper terminals.

When you get used to these speakers, it's difucult to change.

PS : Lately I changed the screws for black ones, with the originam ones, much more discret.

Attachments

• DSC_0079.jpg
    DSC_0079.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 1,436
  • DSC_0078.jpg
    DSC_0078.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 1,398
  • DSC_0075.jpg
    DSC_0075.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 1,353
  • DSC_0077.jpg
    DSC_0077.jpg