Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Don and Bernie,

Thank you for the kind words. And yes, WAF is high with this pair - SWMBO wants them to stay in the drawing room. :)

Regarding the screws, I was apprehensive too - they turned out much nicer at the end. :)

Disclaimer - the stain and finish was done by a furniture painter - he achieved the desired result pretty well.

Attaching a couple of more flattering pics taken by a friend with his DSLR.

-Zia

Attachments

• FH Mk3 03.jpg
    FH Mk3 03.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 2,358
  • FH Mk3 04.jpg
    FH Mk3 04.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 2,328
Modified Pencil 7.3

I have completed my new set of modified Pencil 7.3s. This is my second build, although I did build them along side the Mar-Ken10s (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/65061-full-range-speaker-photo-gallery-202.html).

They are built from 19mm plywood and veneered with Spotted Gum, an Australian (very) hardwood. The front baffle is 16mm Spotted Gum heartwood and is glued to the 19mm front panel plywood. The port is at the rear and the box is reinforced using a design from the Pencil 12s. The boxes are aligned with one coat of bitumen rubber and the top half with 12mm cotton underlay. The mid to bottom section I have used polyfill.

They are sitting aside my Paradigm Mini Monitors v6, C290 centre and DSP-3200 subwoofer. They blow away the Mini Monitors with their clarity.. even the wife asked what I had done to the Minis to make them sound worse! She doesn't like the idea of these large speakers sitting next to her TV though.

The audio chain is HTPC with modified Asus Essence ST -> Yamaha RX-V767 AV pre-amp -> DIY HifiMediy T4 180W Class D amp (in the spotted gum box in the back right side under the TV) -> Speakers. The Mini Monitors come straight from the AV Receiver - I have yet to connect them to the DIY amp.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My photography doesn't really do it justice :(

Last edited: