Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

Just finished a pair of Mar-Kel70's in birch ply with hardwood port spacers, finished with maple veneer and darkened with a bit of dark walnut stain. They sound great! Much more open sound than the smaller milliMar-Kel70s. I loved my millis, but the EL-70 in a bigger box truly sings.

*note: veneering the angled faces with the ports is a pain! :)

Last edited:
Damn all you guys....I suck!

xpheolix: As usual, beautiful speakers are always built by someone else!

skeeter:very nice

Rullknufs: regarding smoothing the slot port, for the interior, get some "1/2 round" in whatever diameter (or close) to the thickness of you interior panels. "1/4 cove" molding with the same radius as the thickness of your exterior panels.

A little Fonken Farm

Just finished a pair of Fonkens using the Fostex 125wks.

This pair (pic 1) seems to work the best, the bass is pretty good; the overall sound is very warm.

Some other builds from the last couple of months (other pics).

Attachments

• 1 2012.jpg
    1 2012.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 2,398
  • Other Set.JPG
    Other Set.JPG
    428.6 KB · Views: 2,303
  • P1040599.JPG
    P1040599.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 2,187
Recycled FE207/FT17 Curvy Changs, now reborn as OB with twin Alpha A15 per side, active cross-over between Alpha's and the FE/FT combo. Result of over two years playing about with different combinations (also got FE166).
U frame for the alpha's as H-frame didn't look right.

Attachments

• ob3-small.jpg
    ob3-small.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 2,007
  • OB2-small.jpg
    OB2-small.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 1,858
When I get the time I hope to detail the build a bit more. Not completely finished as these are heavily dampded design with a 36mm thick baffle. At the moment I cant find the camera with the build pictures, so these are of my phone.
As to sound, love em, dont play them very loud due to UK terreced house, but do enjoy the OB sound.
Oh and when I am playing them I do move them into the room more than shown on photos.

Attachments

• OB1-small.jpg
    OB1-small.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 613
:DNo its one of those designer fire thingys, more heat out of a candle. I am in discussions with the missis on re-arranging the room, the first task is getting all the cd's on to a music server, then the equipement can fit in the room out of the way.
Musicly I do like the open baffles, and the bass available with the 4 15" is nice. i dont play them to loud as the room interactions become painful (the next job will be some sort of room tuning exercise) and the bass becomes boomy. People are quite shocked when they first hear them, as they expect nightclub levels of sound, and not the finnesse that they actualy hear. They are even more shocked when they are shown the back of the cabinets, and see there is no back!
Building them was a dodle, especially as this time I have used veneered MDF (sorry all you birch ply fanatics, but in my case costs were also paramount) and had all the wood cut to size at Peter Benson Plywood, just up the road from me. Provided him with my CAD drawings and a couple of hours later had all the wood cut and ready to go. Adding the trimming edges and finishing took the longest. Final sanding was 2000 grit, then Chestnut Melamine Lacquer, finaly buffed with Microcrystalline wax. This in my opinion has given me the best looking gloss finish I have achieved yet, similar to french polishing without as much work and a much more resilient finish.

Double Till build

Mark Audio Double Till's with twin CHR70 g1's wired in series. The boxes were holey-braced and lined with CCS denim treatment and the baffle edge of the sides were chamfered.

They sound great, much more dynamic than I had expected having previously heard only single driver variants. To my ears they don't really need the tweeter help which with they were initially auditioned...great value on the MA drivers once again.

Mario

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    245.4 KB · Views: 553
  • GetAttachment-1.aspx.jpeg
    GetAttachment-1.aspx.jpeg
    11.4 KB · Views: 387
  • P1100030.jpg
    P1100030.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 515
  • P1100031.jpg