Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery - Page 90 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2009, 01:55 PM   #891
marc mc is offline marc mc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thetubeguy1954,

The Corals represent a problem in many ways and I see that in people's faces when they hear them. I have heard other fullrangers and friends of mine have heard and own some on your list and feel the Beta's do something that others don't. That is not to imply they are better, just different.

I should define revealing as, clarity, speed and dynamic. I have friends that are panals only guys and they say the Corals give nothing up in the area of speed.

marc mc
Old 5th March 2009, 01:55 PM   #892
marc mc is offline marc mc  Canada
diyAudio Member

I forgot to say that I found the drivers in a junk store in mint condition and they cost me $10. I also found a single Beta 10 in the same store that I made into a centre channel for our HT, it cost $5. And my genious friend made the Beta 8 cabs for me in 2 hours. He is not an audiophile but just one of those guys that can do anything!! He looked at the plans and said " Oh yah, ok" and did it.

marc mc
Old 5th March 2009, 11:04 PM   #893
diyAudio Member

Default Another pair of Scott’s Curvy Changs

A few pictures of my Changs.
A great speaker with musical insight, I would recommend them to anyone, a fairly easy build with basic power tools.
My cabinets are 1” Birch ply veneered with Zebrana, finish is three coats of cellulose sanding sealer and wax, quick and easy!
Steve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_4376.jpg (63.9 KB, 3146 views)
Old 5th March 2009, 11:06 PM   #894
diyAudio Member

And again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_4377.jpg (60.3 KB, 3066 views)
Old 5th March 2009, 11:08 PM   #895
diyAudio Member

More
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_4383.jpg (71.7 KB, 2900 views)
Old 5th March 2009, 11:10 PM   #896
diyAudio Member

The drivers are fe206’s, not the first choice for the cabinet but I was keen not to use a tweeter. I had intended to keep things as simple as possible and use them with only the recommended series resistor. Scott pointed out that this cabinet design doesn’t need a BSC filter but I found that, in my room 1.8 mH and 5ohms in parallel tamed the 206’s rising response nicely. I was a bit dubious about the benefits of EnABLing but the results are well worth the effort, cleaner, smoother and more detail. (its much easer to do than to contemplate!)
Steve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_4382.jpg (84.0 KB, 2800 views)
Old 5th March 2009, 11:11 PM   #897
diyAudio Member

Default Last one!

I’m sitting here and Christy Moore is standing at the other end of the room telling me to “stand up and cry like man” I feel very compelled to do so!
Thanks again to all involved in this great design
Steve.
Ps. I Would be very happy to pass-on the template for the side pieces to anyone in the south east interested in building the CC’s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_4379.jpg (60.8 KB, 2868 views)
Old 5th March 2009, 11:48 PM   #898
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Did you have a chance to compare your drivers pre/post eNAbled?
(Nice job!)
Don
Old 6th March 2009, 09:01 AM   #899
diyAudio Member

Hi Doorman,
Yes they had about 250 hours doing service on the end of a radio in my kitchen before i let my shakey fingers loose on them.
Steve.
Old 6th March 2009, 12:41 PM   #900
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Quote:
Originally posted by marc mc
The Corals represent a problem in many ways and I see that in people's faces when they hear them. I have heard other fullrangers and friends of mine have heard and own some on your list and feel the Beta's do something that others don't. That is not to imply they are better, just different.

I should define revealing as, clarity, speed and dynamic. I have friends that are panals only guys and they say the Corals give nothing up in the area of speed.

marc mc
Marc,

First & foremost congrats on such a great find! I wished I could find a mint condition pair of Beta 8's for $10!!!!! I'm not trying to be a P.I.T.A. but, I'm a little confused by your reply. First you said The Corals represent a problem in many ways which you in people's faces when they hear them and then you say the Beta's do something that others don't. That is not to imply they are better, just different.

As all the single fullrange drivers I've ever heard or heard of ---{AER, Audio Nirvana, Feastrex, Fostex, Lowther, Seas, STAMM, Supravox etc}--- have their own unique sets of strengths & weaknesses, it could be argued that none are better, they're all just different. If you believe that then perhaps you'll understand why I'm having a problem comprehending what you mean when you say: The Corals represent a problem in many ways...

What are the specific problems of the Beta 8's? Do they reveal most other single fullrangers have more weaknesses & less strengths in comparison? I'm asking this because I'm considering buying a pair of Beta 8's in the future but, if they have many negative problems I'd like to know what they are, before doing so!

Thetubeguy1954

Hide this!Advertise here!