Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Thanx. How did you replace the spider?

dave

Hi Dave,
I use acetone, small chisel, scalpel .
I remove the foam gasket with the chisel.
I apply a bit of acetone, and carefully unstick 1-2cm surround from the basket. Then I repeat the procedure.
It’s easy to unstick the spider from the basket, sometimes I don’t need acetone.
I very carefully unstick the spider from the cone with a bit of acetone.

Attachments

• mod1.jpg
    mod1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 2,929
  • mod2.jpg
    mod2.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 2,868
  • mod3.jpg
    mod3.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 2,813
  • mod4.jpg
    mod4.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 2,777
  • mod5.jpg
    mod5.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 2,719
Hi Dave,
I use acetone, small chisel, scalpel .
I remove the foam gasket with the chisel.
I apply a bit of acetone, and carefully unstick 1-2cm surround from the basket. Then I repeat the procedure.
It’s easy to unstick the spider from the basket, sometimes I don’t need acetone.
I very carefully unstick the spider from the cone with a bit of acetone.

what was it replaced with, and how did you determine that?

After the modification (new spider) Fs came down to 68Hz , with magnet ring Qts came down to 0,48. With these parameters I calculated horn lenght=90cm, horn throat=60cm² , horn mouth=700cm², CC=9L.

Hi gps, wow nice! Your design is quite close to what I model for the FE168E-Sigma. Except your throat is big -- are you designing for a lot of bass gain rather than a flat response? Also, may I ask what is your preferred modeling software?

Thank you in advance. Your cabs have beautiful curves.

A bit tardy

I actually finished these Floorstander MkII boxes over a year ago. My kids had a real fascination for the exposed drivers, so I thought I would try the Fostex grills. They took some getting used to, but I actually like the way they look now. My wife goaded me into veneering the boxes, which I had never done before, but in the end this was well worth the effort.

Attachments

• P5020027.jpg
    P5020027.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 572
  • P5020025.jpg
    P5020025.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 586
Finally started work on my Curvy Changs, thanks frugal horn for the plans! Managed to get this all out of one 2.4x1.4 sheet..... and then ran out of wood. I'm making these as a project with my old man, he's a craftsman and builds (beautiful) boats so im hoping ill learn those all important skills! I'm only 23, could be a dangerous thing getting into higher-end audio at such a young age haha...

they are not as pretty as some of your cabinets, and are just a work in progress, but here you go! Finnish will be semi-gloss black. will post more as work progresses.

DSC00461.jpg

DSC00463.jpg

DSC00462.jpg

DSC00465.jpg

DSC00466.jpg

James

Finally started work on my Curvy Changs...

DSC00465.jpg

Jamii:

still get much kidding about the street address number?

Yes, you're young enough that this could become an addictive hobby, so it might not be out of place to suggest that for any future speaker projects you consider using quality grade multi-layer plywood.

As far as I'm concerned it sounds superior to MDF or particle board, and by the time you account for the time, equipment and materials required for a high quality black paint finish on MDF, the net cost / time can be lower.

I actually finished these Floorstander MkII boxes over a year ago. My kids had a real fascination for the exposed drivers, so I thought I would try the Fostex grills. They took some getting used to, but I actually like the way they look now. My wife goaded me into veneering the boxes, which I had never done before, but in the end this was well worth the effort.

What method/materials did you use to veneer these?

Next up, you can veneer your floor!

What method/materials did you use to veneer these?

Next up, you can veneer your floor!

I used the white glue + iron technique. Having a square box makes this very easy, as you can just flop the veneer over the edges, then use a router to trim it perfectly flush.

The floor is bare OSB, sanded, and finished with the stuff they put on basketball courts. It looks pretty great in person, and was dirt cheap.

Fe168ez bib

OK nothing groundbreaking here but a BIB I built 3 years ago and am still loving it!

BIB2.jpg

BIB1.jpg

I have built 2 amps, a DAC, interconnects and speaker cables since but the BIB just gets better.

Fostex driver gives just the right balance for me. The only unusual bit is the binding posts. I designed them to be very simple and allow the use of bare cable (I'm not a fan of bananas). Kind of like Cardas actually but slightly different in design and mine use solid silver washers with PTFE rod and wood (elm) blocks.

Connectors1.jpg
Seen from underneath

connectors2.jpg
Without blocks. I made the silver washers from sheet - if anyone knows of somewhere to buy round discs oor silver washers let me know please.

would have liked to use good quality ply for the curvy chang, but its a cost restrictive thing, its double to triple the cost of MDF! oh and yes, that was the first thing i noticed when the old's moved in to this house... 69! :eek: haha

whats the recommended dampening material / amount for this box? i have some nice thick 1" black high density audio foam i found in the scrap at work, otherwise just use either fiberglass batts (ugh) or the polyester fluff fill, uh, fill. if using the foam, I was thinking on the interior - top, bottom and port panels? none on the sides and none on the front panel. hope this makes sense...

Cheers
James