Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery - Page 55 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2007, 01:09 PM   #541
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gmilitano

Very interesting and nice work. How do they sound?

I have a friend who wanted to try the W3-871S in the Buschhorn MkI.

Did you try the W3-871S in the full size enclosure? When you you say 2/3 of the original dimensions, I assume you are referring to height dimensions only.

Cheers,
Gio.
The Buscchorn has many variants. I chose the MkII for Fostex FE103S, that was 99 cm high, and scaled down every dimension to 3/4. I can't remember precisely, but the original plan was one of these:

http://www.picosound.de/Buschhorn.pdf
http://hometown.aol.de/hphinder/homepage/index.html

The German Tangband dealer had one of these on their site, but now I see only a smaller version, similar to mine:

http://www.speaker-online.de/buschhorn/BHmk2TB.html

Initially it sounded a bit hollow. Then I filled the lower triangle cavity with dry sand, and filled the chamber behind the loudspeaker with mineral wool. Now it sounds quite natural, and its main strength is the transients. The best test was male voice from radio, it reveals every bit of unnaturalness. The internal cable is Cat5 rigid UTP.

I never tried the W3-871S in bigger enclosure. In spite of its dimensions, the low end of the Buschhorn is surprising, even in this scaled down box.
Old 5th April 2007, 05:34 PM   #542
diyAudio Member

Here is a peak at the other cabinets I've been working on. These still need more coats of poly, but i like the look so far.

Josh

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th April 2007, 06:30 PM   #543
diyAudio Member

Josh,

Nice. How do you like them? Did you try driving them with the K-12?

Cheers,
Gio.
Old 5th April 2007, 10:05 PM   #544
diyAudio Member

In my dorm room the only amp I have is the K-12. I am going to build another GC soon for them. They sound great. I much prefer these and the FE127s of the W4-1052SA. These enclosures cannot compare to that of the W4-1052SA, but its midrange that is soo sweet compared to the W4-1052SA. These have no BSC, because they will be for my computer desk, but i think even with BSC they wouldn't be able to match the massive BiTonkens. The K-12 does an OK job powering the WR125s. The WR-125s I think, don't like tubes.

A friend of mine came over to listen to the BiTonkens and bought along an nice Adcom amp. I must admit, the volume control on my preamp was kept the same, and they were just about the same spl. I didn't pull out my spl meter, but we thought it was about the same. Also the bass on the K-12 didn't seem lacking compared to the Adcom.

Thanks,

Josh
Old 9th April 2007, 12:58 AM   #545
Chul is offline Chul  South Korea
diyAudio Member

Default Bandor unit in a slim TL

While looking at the great pics here, I realized I did similar thing recently. Very lousy finish but still work OK.

Cheers
Chul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bandor tl.jpg (98.4 KB, 5153 views)
Old 9th April 2007, 04:22 AM   #546
tade is offline tade  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to tade
I listened to the following pair of bitonkens expertly constructed by edjosh23.

They are delightful as are every full range design built by this fellow. These bitonkens have a large amount of bass when compared to the larger frugel horns, however the bass may not have been subjectively quick as the horns. I don't like the W4-1052SA. I don't think that polypropylene does a good enough job in terms of delicacy and immediacy. Considering also that this is a low efficiency design when compared to the horns which i listen to regularly this loss of detail may be expected.
The bitonken concept is excellent and the bipolar design makes for ample bass. I would love to see some paper coned high efficiency drivers in this driver's stead. or perhaps the bamboo fiber coned version of this driver.
I really enjoyed listening to these speakers for their smoothness, generous sound stage, and quick ample bass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bitonken15.jpg (28.5 KB, 4797 views)
Old 9th April 2007, 06:15 PM   #547
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by tade
The bitonken concept is excellent and the bipolar design makes for ample bass.
Good to hear.

Josh got the idea (and the name -- he asked my permission) from my BiFonken for the FE127e/ That in turn came from the Bipole miniOnken for the FR125s. I gave Josh a few pointers on the design goals & philosophies behind the miniOnken/Fonken style design, and i'm glad he came up with something that works (altho it will be imited by the driver's performance -- Josh too has expressed that he is not as happy with the TB as he'd like)

Recent measures of the Fonken indicate bass to the low 50s, a bipole would get to the same place with more authority... that only really gives us a clue to what the TBs might be capable of. A Frugel-Horn, properly positioned in a corner, with full deflectors & supra-baffle, just reaches into the same range. IJosh's Frugel-Horns have FE127 so we really have an unknown extension there.

The discussion i had with Josh also helped some ideas gel for BiFonken Mark II, which is just starting to make the transition from paper to reality.

This has been further fueled by th 3rd resurrection of the Bipolar diyRef ML-TLs... we finally got a "stand" mechanism that works cosmetically. The bass on these isn't as tight as the Fonkens, but the overall spaciousness and the weight of the botton illustrates some of the things bipole does well. And these don't (currently) have the good drivers in them.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diyref-bp-ml-tls-close.jpg (62.7 KB, 4755 views)
Old 9th April 2007, 06:16 PM   #548
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

And here the pair. Hopefully this one helps communicated how diminuative these are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diyref-bp-ml-tls.jpg (50.1 KB, 4807 views)
Old 9th April 2007, 06:27 PM   #549
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

On an aside, is that the Apex Jr woofer I see in the corner?
Old 9th April 2007, 06:56 PM   #550
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Weldon
On an aside, is that the Apex Jr woofer I see in the corner?
yes... push-push of course. Only plays with the HT.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!