Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2007, 06:08 AM   #511
diyAudio Member

Default Project S-Giger

Here is a picture of my latest project. Fostex FE 206E drivers, back and front loaded horn cabinet.
It's still in it's test stage, with only about 6 or 8 hours on the drivers, so no nice finish yet.
I've named them 'S giger' as the back horn follows a path which is s shaped, and my wife says they resemble sculptures by the artist HR Giger (creator of the alien).
Things to do:
1. Experiment with the front horn 'wings' to finalise the shape and size.
Currently, the transition from bass to midrange sounds quite smooth, with a crossover frequency of around 250 Hz.
2. Kill a peak in response around 2.6kHz. I'll play with phase plugs later. My experimental plan is to try a hollow pipe around 33mm from the V.C. front to the termination of the pipe, corresponding to 1/4 wave length of the peak. Theoretically, this should hopefully have a mild TL effect on the whizzer (or maybe it won't). Worth a try though!
3. Give them a nice finish. I'll try my hand at faux bois (fake wood),as I can't afford the real thing in the quantities required!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-giger.jpg (33.4 KB, 5496 views)
Old 17th March 2007, 06:43 AM   #512
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Old 17th March 2007, 08:11 AM   #513
diyAudio Member

Internal picture during construction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg internal.jpg (29.6 KB, 5104 views)
Old 17th March 2007, 08:42 AM   #514
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

As i imagined when i looked at it... this will be much easier to do a 3D SketchUp than the Dalek (i'm still thinking about how to "bend" the side panels.

dave
Old 17th March 2007, 11:44 AM   #515
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Project S-Giger

Quote:
Originally posted by bobhayes
Here is a picture of my latest project. Fostex FE 206E drivers, back and front loaded horn cabinet.
It's still in it's test stage, with only about 6 or 8 hours on the drivers, so no nice finish yet.
I've named them 'S giger' as the back horn follows a path which is s shaped, and my wife says they resemble sculptures by the artist HR Giger (creator of the alien).
Things to do:
1. Experiment with the front horn 'wings' to finalise the shape and size.

it is fabulous, any chance on more details on how to duplicate your design etc?

gychang
Old 17th March 2007, 01:39 PM   #516
diyAudio Member

gychang,

I would say it is very early days WRT development of this design.
When I get it to function 'just so', then maybe Dave (planet 10) might consider a page for it at frugal horn.
It's a bit rough around the edges at the moment, and both the compliance volume and front horn need properly tuning.
When I get to a good level of performance, I'll give the details to Dave, and maybe (if he has the time), he might draw some proper plans (as opposed to my books of scribbles and numbers). Dave?
If anyone wanted to build these, I would suggest that they are not for the faint hearted. There are around 100 pieces in each speaker, of which most of them are cut with a chamfer to create the curves, like the hedlund or dalek curves. Not difficult, but assembly on this scale is very time consuming. The complexity, and the fact that they are an unknown quantity would put off all but the craziest of DIY'ers. gychang... are you crazy?!

Dave, Would you be interested in another design for your site? Maybe the incredibly busy scottmoose might help with the sims again, although I don't know whether the mathcad can do such complex sims or whether he would have the time either?
Old 17th March 2007, 04:05 PM   #517
diyAudio Member

bobhayes,

Very impressive work. The design is very nice as a piece of art . I agree with your statement about the prototype construction....`not for the feint of heart`. There are wooden cylinders and half cylinders made of plywood available that could be used if someone wanted to save time duplicating these.
Old 17th March 2007, 06:59 PM   #518
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bobhayes
When I get to a good level of performance, I'll give the details to Dave, and maybe (if he has the time), he might draw some proper plans (as opposed to my books of scribbles and numbers). Dave?
That is the plan...

and i'm sure Scott will do sims...

dave
Old 17th March 2007, 11:13 PM   #519
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the compliment rcavictim. I know there could be several approaches to construction, particularly thin ply layers. I just find it easier to glue bits together thanany other method.
Should we move to another thread, as I hate filling up the photo thread with waffling text!
Old 18th March 2007, 02:11 PM   #520
Fuling is offline Fuling  Sweden
diyAudio Member

My FE167E OB speakers, finished (well, not quite finished yet) an hour ago. 1200 x 660 x 16mm massive oak:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baffel1.jpg (32.7 KB, 4727 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!