Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery - Page 32 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2006, 06:01 PM   #311
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by youyoung21147
OK thanks for the information !

I like the fullrange concept very much though some recent experimenting showed me how better a fullrange driver could work if not used "fullrange" but "extended range", i.E between 150Hz and 6kHz. I think it's the way to go to get big, coherent and refined sound.
I am coming to the same conclusion. The smallish full-range drivers seem to sound best when they are not subjected to the lower frequency range. With their tiny Xmax, they often run out gas as low as 80Hz even at relatively low SPL!

Keeping the bass away from these little full-rangers results in a much improved mid-range and you can get moderate SPL from them.

Cheers,
Gio.
Old 15th June 2006, 04:49 AM   #312
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GG

The smallish full-range drivers seem to sound best when they are not subjected to the lower frequency range. With their tiny Xmax, they often run out gas as low as 80Hz even at relatively low SPL!

Unless you have a huge listening room, try a CSS.... it'll deliver
Old 19th June 2006, 01:57 PM   #313
diyAudio Member

Default Re: FE127E Sealed Bi-pole

Good morning!

I started a webpage for this project.

FE127E Sealed Bipole

I still have some work to do. Speaker spikes, prime and paint cabinets ... I will update the page as I make more progress. Also, the plan is to make a matching subwoofer, but that will go in a different forum!

Now I've got the bug for a full-range horn! On the bright side, this is a better addiction than smoking!
Old 19th June 2006, 10:53 PM   #314
diyAudio Member

my contribution to gallery fostex fe87 recomended enclosure
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 26th June 2006, 11:57 PM   #315
diyAudio Member

Default FE127 Sealed Bipole - Finished

I got a finish on my FE127E sealed bipole project. Two coats of a sealing primer and two coats of a cream paint. They turned out pretty good. Did a fair bit of patching and sanding and there are still a few blemishes. Getting a near perfect finish would require a lot more skill and patience. However, I am very pleased with the results.

The FE127E is very revealing and you most definately want to match it with a good amp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (13.2 KB, 4461 views)
Old 27th June 2006, 12:00 AM   #316
diyAudio Member

Default Re: FE127 Sealed Bipole - Finished

And a shot of the rear side. The dual binding posts are hand. The bottom plate is tapped for spikes which I need to screw in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (13.9 KB, 4442 views)
Old 25th July 2006, 02:22 AM   #317
Bonicon is offline Bonicon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default FE107 BR for Tatami-room.

Hello,

This is a project I recently finished. My design intent was to create a speaker that would fit into my Japanese-style tatami-room, and offer a decent soundstage when the listener is seated on the floor. The focus was on clarity at low volume levels, rahter than bass output, as the walls here in Tokyo are wafer-thin.

I used the Fostex FE107 and created a slim box out of plywood. Internally, I created a volume by using a PVC-pipe, and filled the remaining void between box and pipe with fine-grain sand. The results are very pleasing, altough this driver offers a rather narrow soundstage, perhaps something an upgrade to the FE108sigma would rectify?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tatami90completed.jpg (68.3 KB, 4638 views)
Old 25th July 2006, 04:13 AM   #318
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: FE107 BR for Tatami-room.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonicon
The results are very pleasing, altough this driver offers a rather narrow soundstage
If they are living in the pictured relationship to the side wall, i'd gues it is more like a placement issue... FE107s should image like crazy.

dave
Old 25th July 2006, 04:55 AM   #319
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

A cheap and cheerful test is to toe them in so they cross at a point about 25% the distance from the listener to the speakers. The technique's popped up in some of the British mags. I recall Jordan also recommends it. An FR driver's narrow dispersion at high frequencies will work to your advantage in reducing the side wall reflection. Those drapes will also be your friends.
Old 25th July 2006, 06:57 AM   #320
Bonicon is offline Bonicon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Yes, I have been playing around with toe-in, but there is more tweaking needed...I have less than 8 hours of listening to them at this point, so I guess there will be improvements. Initially I was going for the FE108 sigmas due to their stunning looks and performance, but I decided to keep this project relatively low-cost, and settled for the FE107...maybe that is what haunting me. Oh well, there is always the next project.

I checked out the Frugel Horn last night, that one looks very good considering the circumstances I live under now (a mold problem in my last place forced a move to less...representative quarters), and from what I understand it mates real well with the sigmas.

However, the first priority will be a SACD-player, I'll head over to Akihabara on Friday and rummage through some back-alley audio-shops, maybe I can find something some reasonably priced used gear.

Hide this!Advertise here!