Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery - Page 31 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2006, 03:11 PM   #301
felixx is offline felixx  Romania
diyAudio Member

What is the brand of your speaker ?
Old 21st May 2006, 12:11 AM   #302
MCLL is offline MCLL  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by felixx
What is the brand of your speaker ?
Panasonic 4" Full Range
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pict0267.jpg (37.4 KB, 6749 views)
Old 31st May 2006, 11:22 AM   #303
JrM is offline JrM  Finland
diyAudio Member

Ok, perhaps time to start posting.

My first full range project was Konus Essence clone with Jordan JX92S. The sound was pretty good and with small filter planning I could do it even better.

After one year with those I decided to do little modifications because needed something for the bottom end. And so I made Josť speakers, Jordan JX92S with Seas L21RN4X http://koti.kontu.la/jsalonen/cgi/ar...54511127806222 Nice and quite well integrated sound. I was quite happy with these until I got a change to hear french PHY-HP full ranges.

So nowadays my primary system consists of large open baffles with PHY-HP H21 LB 15 SAG elements. The soung is really musical and real, nothing compared to boring hifi. But since my wife thinks the baffles are too big and also ugly I'm planning to do some changes for them. Perhaps have to also think about the possibility to start planning somekind of TL design for them http://koti.kontu.la/jsalonen/cgi/ar...24021143058612
Old 6th June 2006, 08:03 AM   #304
diyAudio Member

Here's new photo about my current PHY-HP's in hinged baffles:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th June 2006, 05:06 PM   #305
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to youyoung21147
Quote:
Originally posted by JrM
Here's new photo about my current PHY-HP's in hinged baffles:

Click the image to open in full size.
It's rare to see PHY-HP drivers used by "not french" people.

What do you think about them ?

Some say they are ultra-refined and let any detail breath, while some other find the sound couloured, "dark" and very dynamicless, slow and shallow.

Maybe it's stupid suggesting this here, but what about large sealed enclosures, with non-parallel walls, careful damping, ultra-thick walls (or even double-walls with sand in the gap !) ? I think the WAF would definetely be better, and bass extension too
Old 13th June 2006, 11:06 PM   #306
diyAudio Member

Default FE127E Sealed Bi-pole

Attached is a picture of my most recent pair of speakers. They are a pair of sealed bi-poles (23L) using the Fostex FE127E and built from MDF. Many thanks go out to Mark of www.mach5audio.com who did most of the woodworking. The wife pleaser in the middle is an experiment of his. A 20" sub in an open baffle. See the Mach 5 Audio Testbed for more details.

Initial impressions were very positive. The FE127E goes much higher than we both expected. Good imaging with a very strong mid-range. With the sealed enclosure, you get excellent cone control, great mid-range and the ability to develop moderate to high SPL. The mid-range is much better than that of my BD-Pipes and the FE127E is more extended than the Radio Shack 40-1197.

The test setup was Luxman pre, Beringer DCX, Luxman power. Cross over points between 90 and 120Hz were tried. 90-100Hz worked well with the 20" sub. It was tough trying to place the speakers as we found the 20" sub was often in the way of the music. Very pleased thus far and we expect even better results with a tube amp.

Overall, I am very pleased with the results from this very simple project. I will get a webpage with enclosure plan posted soon.

Cheers,
Gio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fe127e_sb_plus_ob_sub.jpg (11.8 KB, 4951 views)
Old 14th June 2006, 02:44 AM   #307
diyAudio Member

Hi GG,

Very well done aesthetically

What finish you have planned?
Old 14th June 2006, 04:15 AM   #308
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek
Hi GG,

Very well done aesthetically

What finish you have planned?

Thanks, I like the long sleek look. I was thinking of painting them a cream/banana color similar to the cone. However, I am open to suggestions. I don't think I am ready to try something like a veneer at this point.

Regards,
Gio.
Old 14th June 2006, 05:18 AM   #309
diyAudio Member

Actually here in Finland I know 3 persons who have PHY-HP system and I think there are several on top of that.

Quote:
Originally posted by youyoung21147

Some say they are ultra-refined and let any detail breath, while some other find the sound couloured, "dark" and very dynamicless, slow and shallow.

They really are coloured but in a good way so they really give space to music even if the lowest and highest freqs are not there. The sound is a bit dark but very dynamic, fast and gives really some push to the smallest details.

They are different that's for sure and very sensitive for the amp you're trying to drive them. Also with harder music punk/rock they may sound a bit harsh and thin, with aqoustic, jazz, blues etc the sound is really excellent. Worth of checking out if you are fond of fullrange systems..

I bought some massive wood with thickness of 3cm, from those I'm going to do little front baffles between the current ones and the units. This should increase stiffness under units. We'll see what happens.
Old 14th June 2006, 04:41 PM   #310
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to youyoung21147
OK thanks for the information !

I like the fullrange concept very much though some recent experimenting showed me how better a fullrange driver could work if not used "fullrange" but "extended range", i.E between 150Hz and 6kHz. I think it's the way to go to get big, coherent and refined sound.

Hide this!Advertise here!