Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery - Page 293 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2014, 12:40 PM   #2921
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Whew! I thought I was missing out on something! Though I read up a bit after thinking about it and read somewhere about 1mW driving some headphones. Seems incredible, but in these days of massive output power, my little 6BM8 amp at 1.5W would probably seem similarly absurd to a lot of people.
Old 2nd May 2014, 12:17 AM   #2922
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlp View Post
Whew! I thought I was missing out on something! Though I read up a bit after thinking about it and read somewhere about 1mW driving some headphones. Seems incredible, but in these days of massive output power, my little 6BM8 amp at 1.5W would probably seem similarly absurd to a lot of people.
I've built a number of tube amps with power around the 2.5 to 3W mark. Main and every day amp is a SE 300B at 5.8W This drives 87db efficient 2-ways to quite loud.

Also a comment about the TDA amps. A friend, who has built quite a few very nice SS high power amps, built one of these. Believe it or not it sounded best on a SMPS but after saying that I really didn't like the sound of the amp. To me it lacked any hifi ability. But too make speaker and amp systems so compact as has been posted here they are perfect and very cheap to make. But being predominantly a tube guy I guess I'm always going to be a bit biased. Though I have built some excellent sounding chip (3875) amps.
Old 2nd May 2014, 01:14 AM   #2923
jfresh is offline jfresh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi all, thank you so much for the positive comment,

Quote:
Wow! Impressive, jfresh. Nice work. I'm a tube guy first and foremost but I keep hearing about that TPA3110. What do you think of it? At <$10US, seems like it's worth playing around with, especially for mobile sound.
Yes definitely, please do give it a try. you won't regret it. It'll be the best $10 bucks you spend on amp. get it from SURE.
I was thinking on combining the Tube & TPA3110 for portable sound. since TPA3110 has no volume control, use the tube as a buffer & volume control.
Tube amp used is a hybrid headphone amp (under $25), got it of Fredfred. just modified abit.

Last edited by jfresh; 2nd May 2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old 2nd May 2014, 01:41 AM   #2924
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfresh View Post
Hi all, thank you so much for the positive comment,

Yes definitely, please do give it a try. you won't regret it. It'll be the best $10 bucks you spend on amp. get it from SURE.
I was thinking on combining the Tube & TPA3110 for portable sound. since TPA3110 has no volume control, use the tube as a buffer & volume control.
Tube amp used is a hybrid headphone amp (under $25), got it of Fredfred. just modified abit.
You could use an Oatley K272C preamp as a front-end for a bit of tube sound.
Old 2nd May 2014, 01:47 AM   #2925
jfresh is offline jfresh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouston View Post
You could use an Oatley K272C preamp as a front-end for a bit of tube sound.
Thank you so much for the suggestion, will definitely give it a try.
Old 2nd May 2014, 06:19 AM   #2926
tca is offline tca  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
... my little 6BM8 amp at 1.5W would probably seem similarly absurd to a lot of people.
Not really, I'm using a class A mosfet with an inductiv load for 1W!

Cheers.
Old 8th May 2014, 09:05 PM   #2927
diyAudio Member

Default these are my laid back whites

used the tang band W3-315E 3 inch
boxes are 10mm ply sides and i bent and glued 3mm mdf over the curved edges
then glued reenforcing on the inside

inside is a sure 25W X2 the pump to a nice voume put a led push buttin in one
for power switch on

so far the have been my favorite to listen to at reasonable levels nice mid and bass for speaker size and wattage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1287.jpg (343.9 KB, 1043 views)
File Type: jpg 22bvv 075.jpg (370.6 KB, 1004 views)
File Type: jpg new 039.JPG (746.5 KB, 962 views)
File Type: jpg new 035.JPG (838.2 KB, 906 views)
File Type: jpg 22bvv 073.jpg (461.9 KB, 838 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1286.jpg (349.9 KB, 330 views)
Old 8th May 2014, 11:15 PM   #2928
diyAudio Member

Goodlagger: they look pro.
Old 9th May 2014, 01:36 AM   #2929
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow, impressive, Goodlagger! For the front and back, is that epoxy lamination or just thin ply with a thin MDF veneer glued and fixed to the sides? I suppose with a 3" driver, you could get away with a pretty simple structure. I've thought a lot recently about doing some ply lamination b/c I found it remarkably easy when building my cedar strip canoe. Hmmmm. And what prompted that particular curve?
Old 9th May 2014, 09:50 PM   #2930
diyAudio Member

Default Laid back whites

Quote:
Wow, impressive, Goodlagger! For the front and back, is that epoxy lamination or just thin ply with a thin MDF veneer glued and fixed to the sides? I suppose with a 3" driver, you could get away with a pretty simple structure. I've thought a lot recently about doing some ply lamination b/c I found it remarkably easy when building my cedar strip canoe. Hmmmm. And what prompted that particular curve?
The structure is ply sides top and bottom then 3 mm MMF bent over that front and back then a bunch of 10x10 glued across to give extra strength prob didn't need it once the MMF is bent it doesn't move I sanded it smooth then primed and painted with acrylic 5 coats and hand polished to get a semi gloss finish I know the material used is thin but with all the tight bent wood they become a solid unit as for the shape I just like it its different I know a lot of people will disagree but apart from sounding goog they have to look good a talking pice in a room ect

Hide this!Advertise here!