Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

IMG_7450(1).jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Re: Hafler differential cross-wiring, what threw me at first was the subtle symmetry-breaking. The center speaker wired one way or in reverse-polarity actually decided the front speakers being L | R versus (-R) | (-L). Spooky action at a distance
Last night I did a tilted-back Tangband W3-871SC Haffler Differential (msg #5216 @MITsound) 3.1ch 1ft "console" experiment; good floating-in-air soundstage width and even better depth. But switching center-driver polarity did not left-right flip the stage as I had theorized above; one way did sound much thinner.

IMG_20240220_113704.jpg

Last edited:
In the spirit of Minimalism here are two more up-firing XO-less speakers: from Taiwan 8" Hicastle bicone virtual sonic clone of my Lowther PM6A (but only cost $50 due to cosmetic blem.); and WAW 12" Aura ($50 oldie) supporting Mark Audio Alpair10.3 stainless balls variously sold as buffet server/tabletop trashcan/ashtray (really). All these drivers seriously overreached their highs. The Hicastle tea strainer placed over needle-nose phase-plug (and a holey grille) smoothed out the top end as well as vertical directivity. The scarf low-pass Aura and (very carefully) rotatable A10.3 wired in series are perfectly balanced solo & accompaniment. Sure I can nitpick but these aren't easy to beat.

Attachments

• IMG_20240225_221412.jpg
    IMG_20240225_221412.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20240225_214622.jpg
    IMG_20240225_214622.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: 1 user
I have to say I'm rather surprised by the SQ of simple up-firing quasi-fullrange drivers. Possibly the best yet -- and cheapest at $35 total -- old 10" GuoGuang (aka Pearl River) ringed paper cone "woofers" placed atop ~27L "retractable" metal-and-plastic garbage cans. Snuck under-desk for some boost, they fully resolved deep bass drum roll etc from my Classical acid test, Karajan's Dvorak 9th (near the 40-minute mark). A slightly dry-ish sound not yet "lean", very taut and clear. Mids clean and detailed as well. Highs extended near 10khz at an extreme listening angle of 60-80deg off-axis, even fairly flat. The previous owner had cut away the soft dustcap entirely and glued a small piece of foam to the center; hence too much HF if mounted on baffle even without toe-in. Perhaps I will mate them with ultra-fi mid-tweeters like FE108eΣ or MAOP5 or SB Satori to aim for a perfect zero score. As-is playing under a table, -3 score (hi/mid/lo) A-/A/A+ which is pretty uncommon regardless of cost.

IMG_20240314_195702.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: