Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2013, 05:59 PM   #2411
DIYNick is offline DIYNick  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks Tuxedocivic, they are CSS FR125's cabs are virtually (internal dims) as per Planet ten's recommended BR box. I'm using one notch filter 6khz as recomended by another builder. They don't sound bad at all, I'm amazed they do bass! But they do. A bit particular of the sort of music they like, some sounds excellent other stuff not as good. Overall not bad, I may add a couple of small subs.........
Old 6th May 2013, 07:05 PM   #2412
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Well DIYNick you can definitely tell these are a set of DIY speakers! Yep DIY speakers made by a man who loved what he was doing, knows how to work with wood and made what is very close to being a turnkey commercial pair of speakers! These are beautiful and very, very good example of DIY work at it's finest Nick. I hope you're a proud papa, 'cause you should be...

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Last edited by thetubeguy1954; 6th May 2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 6th May 2013, 08:38 PM   #2413
diyAudio Member

Cheers Tom (thetubeguy1954) thanks for your kind comments! I am kinda proud of them
Old 6th May 2013, 10:06 PM   #2414
diyAudio Member

DIYNick: nice colours and tones. Not everything has to be black. Glad to see you agree. How do the speakers sound? Give me a clue.
Old 7th May 2013, 05:45 AM   #2415
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouston View Post
How do the speakers sound? Give me a clue.
well, they are very clear and as you would expect give a very good stereo image. There is a good range of treble to bass, the bass as I say is very good considering the size of the driver. They handle complex music ok and are reasonably dynamic. At the moment they can be a bit ragged in the trebble area (i'll play around with filter to sort this). They are excellent with electronic music like Tangerine Dream / Kraftwerk, is good as I listen to this sort of thing a lot. They are quite revealing, and it is easy to make changes further up the audio chain and hear the effect.

Hope that helps you a bit.

Nick
Old 7th May 2013, 09:30 AM   #2416
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYNick View Post
well, they are very clear and as you would expect give a very good stereo image. There is a good range of treble to bass, the bass as I say is very good considering the size of the driver. They handle complex music ok and are reasonably dynamic. At the moment they can be a bit ragged in the trebble area (i'll play around with filter to sort this). They are excellent with electronic music like Tangerine Dream / Kraftwerk, is good as I listen to this sort of thing a lot. They are quite revealing, and it is easy to make changes further up the audio chain and hear the effect.

Hope that helps you a bit.

Nick
A BSC may improve balance but from what you are saying they sound good. Give them 100 hours to settled.
Old 7th May 2013, 04:18 PM   #2417
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouston View Post
A BSC may improve balance but from what you are saying they sound good. Give them 100 hours to settled.
Thanks, the units are already run i so shouldn't need much bedding in. I think I'm being picky really, a lot of the time it is related to source and source material, in other words they are quite revealing
Old 7th May 2013, 08:40 PM   #2418
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYNick View Post
Thanks, the units are already run i so shouldn't need much bedding in. I think I'm being picky really, a lot of the time it is related to source and source material, in other words they are quite revealing
I 'tend to play music which sounds good on my system. Lucky I like it.
Old 8th May 2013, 09:20 AM   #2419
tilroh is offline tilroh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Just put together a pair of Vampyr-Vs w/ Fostex 103ENs for a friend. All glued and screwed except for one side which has cling wrap preventing the sealant from making contact with the core so I can remove it should I need to add/remove stuffing.

I've only had a brief listen but they sound alive and quick. The room is 4x3.5m and the speakers are not in the corners because the 166 BIBs are too much trouble to move.

The Vampyr-Vs are powered by a new Dynaco valve amp of about 30w/c. I have to use almost double the vol required for the BIBs.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Cheers,
Mack
Old 8th May 2013, 12:01 PM   #2420
diyAudio Member

tilroth: Do you have test CD to see how low the bass goes. I would be interested? Can you post the plans please? Where in Australia are you from I'm from southern Vic.

Hide this!Advertise here!