Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

They are a K402 horn that has been modified to a Synergy style horn. It uses a EV DH1A horn with 2 Emminence Kappa 15c woofers. I do not have them completely tuned, but should have 1 tuned this next week. The person on the Klipsch foeums that originally did the mod said they go down into the low 30hz as I recall...might have been lower I know he likes to measure flat to a couple of DB. Mine are using different drivers thiugh so we will see soon how low they go. I have been waiting ro tine them properly and was waiting until I got my new Icepower 6 channel amp completed, and it is being used today with 1 channel... just need to make 2 more Speakon cables, and 1 more ac cable. It is a 3 channel biamped BTL amp.

Well, that means that I must do some research on these drivers that you are using. In many cases I like the sound of horns, that is when they are properly tuned and not taking over a room.
It IS hard to wait the project through, and making sure that all is well. Just last night, i got the X-over much closer to matching the speakers that I have made (a design by Decware Audio). The Mark Audio drivers impress me much in what they have to offer, yet the dynamic range compared to horns is shy.
Here is a photo of the rear loaded horns made for the DNA2 speakers, as they are called:

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA — ImgBB
OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA — ImgBB

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I was a little low on the lows...he is 5db down at 40hz, and crosses over to a sub at 40hz.
We crossover at 500hz currently.
Here is a pic of one as an OB. I decided to go with cabinets since I did not have woofers designed for OB, and my wife is much happier now that they are more like a piece of furniture. I had decided to try grills, and that was when she liked them the most. Currenty the grill material is just clamped to the horn to get her opinion. She liked it so next week I will start attaching the material to a 1/2" wood frame with magnets. View attachment 879181

Last edited:
New to me.

Mini array

4 x 3" fountek fe87

Seated 10-11' away, don't notice any combing, eyes roughly at 2nd from top driver.

Yes, you lose some highs standing.

Used as late night movie, more of a vocal monitor.
Voices handled well on "gattaca" dvd, used from stereo rca jacks from older bluray player.

Good work, from mpm

Attachments

• 20201013_182953.jpg
    20201013_182953.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 1,413
These are my new arrays which I call Lightning Rods. The 1/4" steel 109" towers have a -100% WAF factor which may result in death for any parties involved. They are built around the new MarkAudio Pluvia 7HD drivers and are currently individually powered by 120dB+ class D amplifiers made by Digital Amplifier Company with balanced inputs and volume controlled by 2x Behringer DS2800 per side. Right now each amp is driving 2 drivers. End goal is to purchase 8 more amps per side... Just now starting to enjoy abit at low volumes.

Attachments

• Lightning_Rods.jpg
    Lightning_Rods.jpg
    671.5 KB · Views: 546
Hello, thanks for the kind comments and interest in the design! I should specify more of what is going on with the electronics and the subs.
The amplifiers I use on the arrays are the InLine Maraschino amplifiers, boards only. Running them @48VDC. To assure they all get the voltage and current they all need across 8feet I use 2 strips of copper, measuring 1/2"W x 1/8"D x 8'H, for 48V and GND. You can see them mounted in front of the clear acrylic panel. The amps are mounted in the backside. The power supply is a Meanwell switching unit rated @2000W. 48V @42A. This is ridiculous overkill, as are the amplifiers, but this assures that nothing will get anywhere near their stress points. The fans on the power supplies were running at 60dB, so I had to replace them with slower/quieter 15dB ones and had to come up with a protection defeat strategy because the SMPS looks for a tach signal from the fans. No tach no power output.
For each of the subs I use 2 500W SMPS's powering 2 250Wx2 class D amps. Also each sub has a miniDIGI (made by miniDSP) module to handle SPDIF in+passthru and handles the 150Hz crossover. Inside the subs are 4 8" long throw Dayton subwoofers in a dual isobaric design. I've seen these things move like 2" peak to peak. They are mounted in 4' tall 5/8" thick PVC tubes.
As for the signal path, it starts as SPDIF out from the smartTV into the right sub miniDIGI (124dB SNR), then passthru to the left sub, then passthru to a Behringer DEQ2496 (113dB SNR) for EQ/hipass filter then to a Digital Audio Company DAC DAC HSV (130dB SNR). SPDIF ends at the DAC. From the DAC it's balanced cables to the dual Behringer DS2800 1in 8out splitters w/volume. Each output of the splitter goes to an amp, also balanced cables for highest SNR.
It's not perfect, as each miniDIGI stage adds about 3ms of delay for digital processing so the arrays get the SPDIF slightly later than the subs but I dare you to hear it.

One more pic from the other night: testing youtube from the smartTV. Did not sound good. But you can see the lights from the amps, subs and splitters. The green LEDs are the splitter signal levels per channel, so they blink. Not sure if I like the lighting yet but it does give me confidence everything is working at the beginning stage.
Cheers! Time for brew and listening, after a long slow day at work.

Mini Orangutan desk top build

I always liked the look of Devore Fidelity Orangutan 0/96 speakers so I tried to incorporate that look in my desk top build. I'm using the Dayton PS-95 driver.

Larry

Attachments

• IMG_0450.JPG
    IMG_0450.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,165
  • IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,157
  • IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,140