Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

pic

Attachments

• small01.jpg
    small01.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 1,155
Another take on Vic's (Trans-Fi Audio) build. Prototype loosely based on the Bastanis Mandala (twin widebanders) and coupled dipole on Vic's arrangement. Celestion did this moons ago with the SL6000.

Woofers are sitting on bricks but will be hung in a separate frame which will slide into the main frame, thus completely isolating them from the other drivers. Frames are simply pine brandering.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 913
The phantom baffle - coming soon

Hi all,

Yes this project is inspired by Viktor's TransFi system. Although none of the ''scientists'' have not confirmed that it can work, I believe it will be.
The full range drivers are SAL SAL 08C08, you know. Frank made them for me as the last pair in the world maibe. Special edition with golden phase plug.

Woofers are audiophile-grade 15” open baffle woofers, OB-A15Neo, were designed and manufactured specifically for Open Baffle and for PureAudioProject.

The strings in front of the speaker are textile braided hat rubber from haberdashery. It's not my idea. First used by Sonus Faber, today uses Gryfon Audio. I don't know yet if I'll use it.

Attachments

• IMG2019.jpg
    IMG2019.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 1,195
  • in room01.jpg
    in room01.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 1,189
Apologies for this in a gallery thread, so just a short response.

Linkwitz, amongst others, didn't see much point in the coupled dipole:

Electro-acoustic models

But see the attachment for Celestion's rationale. Legacy's Whisper had a delay on one of the coupled drivers to (I presume) allow for a cardioid response, much like what can be done with subs on a stage to optimise directivity toward the audience (see JBL attachment pg 5). If you want to know more, simply search for subwoofer arrays or gradient speakers - look up Harry Olson, too, if you're really interested.

According to Linkwitz, Celestion and one or two guys who have tried this, efficiency goes up with two drivers "The model predicts that the SPL at very low frequencies is merely the sum of two dipoles with spacing D = d1 "

But in real life roll-off without a baffle occurs sooner, so less bass before EQ. The distance between the drivers affects the dipole peak and thus crossover point. As noted in the Celestion paper, increasing the spacing brings the dipole peak lower in frequency.Vic from Trans-Fi Audio claims response to 20Hz with minimal EQ. Sincerely, I can't figure out that one, but as an upper bass/lower midrange alignment the configuration (with high fs, low Qts drivers) works for me in terms of supporting my widebanders and has great tone and punch.

Attachments

• Celestion_System6000_White_Paper (1).pdf
    275.6 KB · Views: 79
  • JBL LOW FREQUENCY PATTERN CONTROL.pdf
    204.8 KB · Views: 52
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Full range?!:confused:

Fullrange Assisted Subwoofer Technology (FAST or WAW (woofer Assisted Wideband)) speakers are considered fullrange and reside in this forum. The SS 10F provides coverage over most of the audio band (above 200Hz with Shallow 1st order XO frequency at 800Hz) and the woofer gives bass support.

Here is frequency response of fullrange and woofer:
656204d1515700364-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-ref-monitor-xrk971-10f-rs225-fast-freq-jpg

More info in thread here.