Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery - Page 191 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2012, 02:47 AM   #1901
diyAudio Member

Those look great toobhed!
Old 11th January 2012, 11:28 AM   #1902
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODougbo View Post
Just finished a pair of Fonkens using the Fostex 125wks.

This pair (pic 1) seems to work the best, the bass is pretty good; the overall sound is very warm.

Some other builds from the last couple of months (other pics).
Hello Odougbo!

I was wondering if you or anyone else here can answer a question for me. Are drivers that are suitable for a Onken/Fonken enclosure also suitable for usage in back-loaded horns?

Click the image to open in full size.

The reason I ask is I've recently made a friend in South Korea after being introduced by a mutual audio friend and Lee is willing to purchase a pair of the Sonodyne SD-855 eight inch fullrange drivers on my behalf. These SD-855 drivers are made from Hanji paper as seen above ---{Hanji paper is similar to the paper Feastrex makes for their drivers}--- and it would seem that Hanji paper must either be very expensive to make or else it must sound extraordinarily good and hopefully if it includes the first of these two reasons it also includes the second reason!

The reason I believe Hanji paper must sound very good is because I noticed an Altec 515 15" woofer that's reconed with Hanji paper is selling for $3500 on eBay as seen here: Altec 515A woofers rebuilt with hand made Hanji cones. Please take a moment to look at the photos of the Altec 515 woofers after they've been reconed with Hanji paper. The photos taken from the rear/side are the most interesting to see.

Personally I just cannot imagine anyone taking a very expensive handmade paper like Hanji paper if it doesn't also sound very, very good to use when reconing a vintage, fine sounding Altec 515 woofer! Oh yes I also noticed there's a pair of Sonodynes dome supertweeters that uses Hanji paper and they sell for $750pr on eBay: Sonodyne Hanji Super Tweeters

So I've decided I'm going to send Lee in S. Korea the money via paypal for a pair of the Sonodyne SD-855 8" fullrange drivers so I can see for myself how good or bad they actually sound, but I still want to know if I'll be limited to just using an Onken/Fonken enclosure like Sonodyne does up above or if I'll also have other options with these drivers?

I'll be sure to let everyone know when the Sonodyne SD-855 drivers finally arrive and want to say thanks for your time to anyone who chooses to help me by responding...

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)
Old 11th January 2012, 12:26 PM   #1903
diyAudio Member

I dunno Tom,

As an example the guy wants $3500 for a single Altec 515 bass driver that has been reconed with Hanji paper. This is strictly a LF driver, I could see maybe some betterment from cone material upgrade if such a large speaker was one that was frequently crossed over higher, like say a 416 where there is a chance it could modify cone resonance and breakup modes, etc.

That said it could well be that if Hanji paper is used to replace conventional paper cone on a small full-range driver that some improvement could be heard, but the fact that the seller is offering this treatment to a LF driver indicates to me that he is just trying to scam all the money he can make.

This really reminds me of the expression "a fool and his money". Consider that you can buy quite a few magic dots for $3,500.00 !
Old 11th January 2012, 04:10 PM   #1904
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

+1 on "a fool and his money"

When I first learned of the 515 re-cones awhile back, my opinion was that they were ruining one of the best driver designs done to date, relegating it to OB/IB apps or at worst, a very large aperiodically damped alignment.

Note too that drivers with a high degree of 'inner detail' is another way of saying more 'euphonically distorted', i.e. has a higher order of bending and/or breakup modes, so the high damping of a horn will tend to negate some/all of these plus could cause outright worse harmonic distortion even at modest power due to the general flimsiness of diaphragm construction required.

Just because the specs indicate horn loading, it doesn't mean it will turn out well overall if it's an ultra-wide BW unit.

GM
Old 11th January 2012, 04:32 PM   #1905
RevMen is offline RevMen  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Wow! Awesome stuff.

I'd agree that the larger box is definetely where the EL70 belongs.
I've built 3 boxes for EL70's and every time bigger was better.
Old 11th January 2012, 04:40 PM   #1906
diyAudio Member

That's what I keep saying, but few believe me.

GM
Old 11th January 2012, 05:18 PM   #1907
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Tom,

Your pictures are MIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetubeguy1954 View Post
I was wondering if you or anyone else here can answer a question for me. Are drivers that are suitable for a Onken/Fonken enclosure also suitable for usage in back-loaded horns?
Generally no. And the opposite is also generally the case.

Quote:
Sonodyne SD-855
Specs?

dave
Old 11th January 2012, 05:19 PM   #1908
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
That's what I keep saying, but few believe me.

GM

well, there's "bigger" (say 15-20 liters per driver per EL70), then there's BIG - a la Kleinhorn
Old 11th January 2012, 05:24 PM   #1909
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Generally no. And the opposite is also generally the case.
How so? He asks playing a bit of devil's advocate here to make sure we're all on the same 'page'.

GM
Old 11th January 2012, 05:27 PM   #1910
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Since i have moved over to the Bright side ( full range ) i have fallen in love with my precious babies.

Thanks to Planet10 with the donated drivers & Bernie for building the speaker cabinets with great detail and to my exact liking

Since i love them so much i might be replacing these drivers with some brand new babies so i can keep the color.. ( factory colour is appealing to me )

Thanks to my dad & planet10 for helping me with cap values for the ribbon tweeter.

Installing Driver,

Adjusting the phase plug for no rub

setup:

When i get back from training i plan on ordering 2 chassis for my aleph mini's to get them back into the loop.. ( dam i miss my aleph's )

Hide this!Advertise here!