Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery - Page 171 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2011, 09:12 PM   #1701
nuconz is offline nuconz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
No replacement for displacement? I guess the 30" EV subwoofers can move quite a bit of air and play loud enough, hehe

as loud as the JBL system is, i'm very surprised to see it in anything smaller than a church, theater, roller skating ring, etc. those things can make your ears bleed!

this chap has huge dynamic range from 20 hz ~ 20 kc!
Old 26th August 2011, 01:29 AM   #1702
nuconz is offline nuconz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gychang View Post
I used OSB material and noted there was significant resonance when playing at moderate levels so I tore the whole thing apart.

exactly what is wrong with OSB, apart from the fact that it isn't the prettiest stuff in the world?
Old 26th August 2011, 01:34 AM   #1703
lowpoke is offline lowpoke  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to lowpoke
nuconz, I like your style.
Old 26th August 2011, 01:12 PM   #1704
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuconz View Post
exactly what is wrong with OSB, apart from the fact that it isn't the prettiest stuff in the world?
when I built the cabinet VP with 3/4" OSB with a single driver brace (from back of the driver to rear wall (1x1"), I noticed significant resonance (putting hands on the cabinet while music is playing). For me "dead" cabinet is the best (does not add any sound). In my experience MDF seems to be best, followed by plywood, but no more OSB for me.

Latest build here: El cheapo driver in Suzy Chang, I added thick panels (glued MDF/plywood) and noted significant improvement in sound. So simply put OSB is not good as speaker cabinet IMHO.
Old 26th August 2011, 02:06 PM   #1705
diyAudio Member

I don't know why anyone would use OSB. That stuff is complete crap.
Old 26th August 2011, 02:15 PM   #1706
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Quote:
Originally Posted by gychang View Post
when I built the cabinet VP with 3/4" OSB with a single driver brace (from back of the driver to rear wall (1x1"), I noticed significant resonance (putting hands on the cabinet while music is playing). For me "dead" cabinet is the best (does not add any sound). In my experience MDF seems to be best, followed by plywood, but no more OSB for me.

Latest build here: El cheapo driver in Suzy Chang, I added thick panels (glued MDF/plywood) and noted significant improvement in sound. So simply put OSB is not good as speaker cabinet IMHO.
Regarding dead cabinets i found a pretty dead one in a swedish hifi store.
YG Acoustics Anat III

"Anat™ III’s mighty cabinet is constructed of precision-machined aircraft-grade aluminum alloy. This material, using vibration-free pressurized assembly, allows for the most acoustically desirable enclosure available. Unique to YG Acoustics™’ flagship line is the use of a multi-layered structure optimized for each module’s specific frequency range. This ensures the lowest vibration available, even at extreme volume levels."

Knocked on them and it was like knocking on a tank.
Old 26th August 2011, 04:58 PM   #1707
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Regarding dead cabinets i found a pretty dead one in a swedish hifi store.
YG Acoustics Anat III

"Anat™ III’s mighty cabinet is constructed of precision-machined aircraft-grade aluminum alloy. This material, using vibration-free pressurized assembly, allows for the most acoustically desirable enclosure available. Unique to YG Acoustics™’ flagship line is the use of a multi-layered structure optimized for each module’s specific frequency range. This ensures the lowest vibration available, even at extreme volume levels."

Knocked on them and it was like knocking on a tank.

and that's guaranteed to ensure good sound?

slightly OT, but totally insane / obscene / criminal, even an April fools joke:

Solid Gold Organic Harmony Speaker adds music to the sculpture for $6.8 million
Old 26th August 2011, 05:06 PM   #1708
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
and that's guaranteed to ensure good sound?

slightly OT, but totally insane / obscene / criminal, even an April fools joke:

Solid Gold Organic Harmony Speaker adds music to the sculpture for $6.8 million
Never said it sounded good, i didn't even listen to them. All i did was looking at them and knocking on the side panel noticing it was one very dead cabinet.
Old 26th August 2011, 06:35 PM   #1709
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Nuconz,

Showing this picture to one's significant other is likely to result in foreclosure of speaker building dreams... or the relationship! That setup is HUGE... what are these for?
Actually if I were most guys I'd show that photo to my wife FIRST and then I'd ask her isn't she happy how little I've kept my audio system for her?

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)
Old 26th August 2011, 07:12 PM   #1710
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Never said it sounded good, i didn't even listen to them. All i did was looking at them and knocking on the side panel noticing it was one very dead cabinet.

Sorry, I guess I consider some of these designs way over-engineered /built - this isn't the Space Shuttle -

And I'm yet to be convinced that no matter how achieved a "dead" cabinet is essential. The most "dead" speaker enclosure I've ever (not?) heard was one diamond cored from a basalt rock pillar - actually a very pretty piece of work. Of course this was a DIY/artisan project, but perhaps due as much to use of SEAS Excel series drivers and less than stellar XO design as to the enclosure materials, it was as musically moribund as it was acoustically inert - it made sound, but there was just no synergy.

Hide this!Advertise here!