Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2011, 01:49 AM   #1691
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
gychang, sorry you went thru the effort to build those voigt pipes. They are elegant shapes. Mine are sitting unused without drivers installed.

Those alpar pencils look great. Please describe the differences you hear compared to the fh... When you get a chance, please.
when I built Voigt Pipe, I had the dimensions all wrong, u suggested much smaller vent size and noted significant improvement in sound. I used OSB material and noted there was significant resonance when playing at moderate levels so I tore the whole thing apart.

I strongly urge someone to try B20 with the proper dimensions of size/vent, to me the cabinet is elegant with the right finish (but very important to minimize resonance). Now my new home in the desert has large living room with a high ceiling and VP will add touch of a class, and with hopefully a good sound.
Old 25th August 2011, 01:35 PM   #1692
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
yeah, that works...except the wife wants them further back.
Sorry to sound like an a$$ but, this is a very sore ubject with me. Isn't it your house as well? Doesn't your wife care about YOUR happiness and what YOU like or does she only care her happiness and what she likes?

If she pays everything and you live off of her, I suppose I could understand her feeling that way, but if you pay everything or even just half of everything. Is asking to be allowed the usage of one room in the house in a manner that suits your needs too much to be asking of your wife?

When we purchased our house I told, I didn't ask my wife, that one room was going to be mine as an audio room, to setup as I see fit. My wife didn't have an issue with this at all. In fact she likes what I did so much she now asks for my opinion on decorating the other rooms in the house as well!

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)
Old 25th August 2011, 01:52 PM   #1693
diyAudio Member

I have my office to do whatever I want in. I've got 3 sets of speakers in there and they move to the optimum locations for listening while I work. The living room is the entertaining room. I still want good sound there...but I'm not going to place the speakers in the middle of the room to get it. She doesn't like the asthetics, and personally I don't like it either. We watch TV more than we listen to music, and with the TV against the wall, I like the center image to eminate from it. When I pull the speakers forward, the image tightens up, but it comes from ahead of the TV.

As for how they sound compared to the Frugelhorns...well, I'm scratching my head with the FHs now. They used to sound great in my old office, corner loaded. In the new living room they just didn't have any bass despite being in the corners. Perhaps the high ceilings in the new home had something to do with that. I moved the frugelhorns to my new office, which is smaller than the old one and they still don't put out much bass. In fact very little comes from the rear horn unless I turn them up very loud. I think I'm going to build a set of FH3 cabinets to see if maybe that will help the Fostex drivers produce more bass.

The Pensil 10.2s...are a totally different caliber. I get bass at every sound level, warm and full. The mids are still clear and the highs will sparkle with the right instruments. I will never put the frugelhorns in the living room again. Is that a good enough comparison?
Old 25th August 2011, 04:17 PM   #1694
nuconz is offline nuconz  United States
diyAudio Member

Default try this to test your domestic tranquility

if you think that you have any say in what you do in your house, just try this in the living room to test your domestic tranquility.

i have the JBL system on either side of the four (4) EV subs in the center. just the sound of these alone will create DV (domestic violence) and ruin any tranquility. don't forget their huge size!

Click the image to open in full size.

Click here for more.
Old 25th August 2011, 04:28 PM   #1695
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Chuyler:

Yup, the FH3 is definitely a sonic improvement over the FH1 - and much simpler build. With FE126s, they would still like corner boundary reinforcement for best bass extension - but that's not the case with any of Mark's drivers that have been tried to date (CHP/R & EL70s, Alpair7).

So far the only Pensils I've heard are the A7, which have been my daily driver (also predominantly for video) for several months now- they certainly don't need to be pulled out any further than in line with the face of the flat screen

Tom:
audio advice is tricky enough, let's forego the couple's counselling - not all of us might posses the charisma required to "handle" our partners so well
Old 25th August 2011, 04:48 PM   #1696
diyAudio Member

I've got corners in my office so i'm fine with that....unless you think there is a better build for the FE126eN. I didn't see anything else...since most of the designs incorporate the 127 instead.

...and the Pensils are a step in the right direction as far as "owning" the living room. Baby steps. First it was the uFonkens in the bedroom, then the frugelhorns in the living room... The pensils are a good 20% larger so that's a big win as it is. Don't want to push my luck. Next will be some 60" double horn towers (some day).
Old 25th August 2011, 06:05 PM   #1697
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuconz View Post
if you think that you have any say in what you do in your house, just try this in the living room to test your domestic tranquility.

i have the JBL system on either side of the four (4) EV subs in the center. just the sound of these alone will create DV (domestic violence) and ruin any tranquility. don't forget their huge size!

Click the image to open in full size.

Click here for more.
What the H e C K! WAF?
Old 25th August 2011, 07:46 PM   #1698
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Nuconz,

Showing this picture to one's significant other is likely to result in foreclosure of speaker building dreams... or the relationship! That setup is HUGE... what are these for?
Old 25th August 2011, 08:08 PM   #1699
nuconz is offline nuconz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Nuconz,

That setup is HUGE... what are these for?

what are these for? what are these for?

this is man cave stuff! that's what it's for!

check the link at the bottom.

there are 6 of the 30" EV subwoofers and the JBL theatre speaker system (which i have).

truly, this is an awesome system!
Old 25th August 2011, 08:26 PM   #1700
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuconz View Post
what are these for? what are these for?

this is man cave stuff! that's what it's for!

check the link at the bottom.

there are 6 of the 30" EV subwoofers and the JBL theatre speaker system (which i have).

truly, this is an awesome system!
No replacement for displacement? I guess the 30" EV subwoofers can move quite a bit of air and play loud enough, hehe

Hide this!Advertise here!