Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery - Page 149 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2011, 08:23 PM   #1481
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddobber View Post
I was going to post my full range pics until I saw those sexy bamboo jobs.

referring to himself in the third person:

not all of Chris' work is of the same caliber - be assured there are more sow's ears than silk purses
Old 30th March 2011, 11:18 PM   #1482
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
... but let's not kid ourselves - "green" is one thing - carbon / energy footprint is entirely another...
You can imagine the droves of Chinese (likely female mostly) hand fitting the blocks in the core and then overlaying the strips on the outer layers of the horizontal or vertical grain. Even thou they are cheap labour for the rest of the world, they are raising their standard of living. But wage pressure will keep pushing up those wages. China is where Japan was 30-40 years ago (but i doubt it will take anywhere near that to get to where Japan was 5 years ago).

And cheap diesel has contributed to the economy that let's us ship instead of manufacture locally. Bamboo ply comes across the Pacific, Baltic Birch comes across the Atlantic. That day is ending too... and until such time as those big boats are fueled by fusion reactors (directly or indirectly), it is only going in one direction.

The stranded thou i'm guessing requires a higher level of machine involvement, eventually should be fully automated. And i'd think that a plywood made of alternating grain layers of strand would take this material to a new level. Automation would make it economical to manufacture anywhere it makes sense to grow vast quantities of bamboo... Queensland? I know bamboo will grow in my back yard, but i don't know if it will grow fast enuff.

But once the tech that takes very strong, long bio fibres and make sheet material is sorted and common, one can consider other bio-mass to make board. And one outstanding plant for this, among many candidates, is hemp. And we know that it grows like a weed. I imagine huge swaths of the prairies with 10-20 ft tall fields of fibre hemp.

dave
Old 30th March 2011, 11:53 PM   #1483
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post

...Don't get me wrong - even though it's a bear to work with, I love the look you can achieve, but let's not kid ourselves - "green" is one thing - carbon / energy footprint is entirely another

edit: even (most) trees are a renewable resource, just at
a

much

slo

wer

pace
Exactly what I was thinking.

Jeff
Old 31st March 2011, 07:28 AM   #1484
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Just thought I'd mention these guys, now that the topic is bamboo ply for speakers.
qualifi.dk
Old 31st March 2011, 07:50 AM   #1485
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Kurt is a good guy... and doing some designs i really like

dave
Old 31st March 2011, 08:06 AM   #1486
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Kurt is a good guy... and doing some designs i really like

dave
Yeah, I understand that he collaborated with some of you in here on the designs. Some of those speakers are really "just" close variants of the microtowers and pensils etc.
Now if only the prices weren't so steep. Wonder if it's the bamboo?
Old 31st March 2011, 08:25 AM   #1487
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Indeed Scott & i had a hand in custom designing some of his speakers.

I'm not familiar with Kurt's pricing.

It is hard for diyers to get a handle on what the price tag in the store needs to be for everyone to keep from going bankrupt. Even what a direct from the builder price would be. Took us quite a few builds/sales to get to the point where it became worthwhile (and we are probably still undervaluing what we build).

But DIY, flat-paks and direct purchase from a builder/assembler will, i hope, change the cost/performance ratio for a much larger portion of the population than it has been. More hifi, less money.

dave
Old 31st March 2011, 08:45 AM   #1488
diyAudio Member

The main culprit I think is not the building of the speaker itself. It's the finishing job that eats up margins and competitive advantage.
My idea (as I have successfully-ish done with my own iBIBs) is to clad the whole thing in coloured felt. It takes some careful planning and practice, but if done right it gets you a very nice and fresh alternative finish, with much less brute force work than veneering or paint.
Old 31st March 2011, 09:10 AM   #1489
mac1963 is offline mac1963  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hi all
Made my first incursion into FR world with a pair of pensil p70's.
I've been so engrossed with the listening that I've had little time to post the results. They are absolutely amazing!
I used solid Sucupira wood, cut up into 5cm strips and glued together in reverse order to avoid warping, something like the 'butcher block' concept, except done from scratch. I guess it's like buying fillet and asking the butcher to mince it, but I wanted great quality, and don't regret the cost one bit.
Anyway, enough chatter. Here are the pictures.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by mac1963; 31st March 2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 31st March 2011, 09:20 AM   #1490
mac1963 is offline mac1963  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Here are a couple more...Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!