Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery - Page 148 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2011, 12:18 PM   #1471
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbrigade View Post
Mondogenerator: I guess the small ones are
Pic:
Click the image to open in full size.

Dave (Planet10),

One curiosity: the cutted edge of the front panel of the uFonken, (they are 45 degree in the drawings) have sonic reason or only aesthetic ?

Thanks,

Davide
Old 30th March 2011, 02:26 PM   #1472
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
The 45 degree cut is to decrease baffle diffraction. As far as i know.

And yes, the Fonken/Mar-Ken/Mar-Kel are not very easy to build :P
Old 30th March 2011, 03:41 PM   #1473
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kec View Post
Nice job on the cabs Chris. What's your veneering method?

What finish is on those?

These are in Smith & Fong Plyboo solid 3-ply Bamboo (Neopolitan) , with sides fronts & backs rabbeted into the top/bottoms.

The finish is 4 sprayed coats of ML Campbell Magnamx Pre-Catalyzed Lacquer 25deg sheen, hand sanded between coats.

On post veneered boxes, I use paper backed veneers and the old cheap trick of iron-on yellow glue.

Whatever the materials, I personally prefer a continuous grain matching wrap around the perimeter of the enclosure. Of course even with 4x10ft sheets this is not possible with largest of cabinets. With highly figured grain patterns the layout for desired results is rather tedious, and usually lower yield. .

With regards to the chamfered baffles, the larger the chamfer the better, which is one of the reasons that the "Prime" series of this topology has the multiple vents on each long edge. Cutting across the three layers of exterior side panel, spacer blocks and interior panel/front baffle allow for a much deeper bevel than for example the milli-size or GR (Golden Ratio) enclosure with the more conventional bottom mounted port slots.

Last edited by chrisb; 30th March 2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: detail
Old 30th March 2011, 03:56 PM   #1474
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Plyboo
What is that? :P
Old 30th March 2011, 04:02 PM   #1475
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
What is that? :P

Trade name for a brand of bamboo plywood

Smith & Fong Plyboo | Bamboo Flooring & Plywood

not the most forgiving material to work with, but can make for very pretty cabinets

Note that the material used is the solid block core plywood, not the flooring material.

We've used bamboo veneer in custom kitchen work - not recommended.

Last edited by chrisb; 30th March 2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 30th March 2011, 04:40 PM   #1476
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Trade name for a brand of bamboo plywood

Smith & Fong Plyboo | Bamboo Flooring & Plywood

not the most forgiving material to work with, but can make for very pretty cabinets

Note that the material used is the solid block core plywood, not the flooring material.

We've used bamboo veneer in custom kitchen work - not recommended.
Dang! I thought it was a funny typo :P

But yeah, bamboo seems like a b***h to work with. I've been chopping some bamboo-sticks with a machete once and it is a pretty hard material.
Old 30th March 2011, 05:53 PM   #1477
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
The outer plys are stranded bamboo, not the solid strip more commonly seen. This stranded ply is an awesome sheet material for loudspeakers.

PlyBoo is one of the major suppliers. PlybooStrand Bamboo Plywood and Flooring - Smith & Fong Plyboo | Bamboo Flooring & Plywood The soecif product used in the speakers in question: Plyboo Neopolitan Bamboo Plywood and Flooring - Smith & Fong Plyboo | Bamboo Flooring & Plywood

Here are a couple more.
Bamboo Plywood - Cali Bamboo plywood and veneer for kitchen countertops, cabinets, furniture, bars (fossilized is their brand of stranded -- these guys were the most helpful -- you'll note that they have a cut FE127 speaker as an example)
Bamboo Plywood (these are the guys that i thot i found out about the stranded variation, but they no longer have it listed)
SCS Indoor Advantage Gold-certified Bamboo Panels | Unfinished & Furniture-grade Bamboo Hardwood | Teragren® Picture & definition from their site.

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
strand bamboo
A patented construction method in which fibers of semi-shredded bamboo are intertwined in a pressure-treated adhesive base to form a high-density, homogenous bamboo plank without internal voids as used in Teragren Portfolio™ and Synergy™ strand bamboo flooring with Xcora™ technology. Strand panels are available are available in Wheat, Chestnut, Brindle and Java.
Note that most, if not all, of these are FSC, so qualify as "green". Since the ply is made of renewable grass and not wood it is probably an easier process than wood.

Pictures of Fonken and uFonkenSE in the same material will follow when drivers are done. Chris is also working on a pair of these in a more conservative bamboo for Bud Purvine (of EnABL, groundside electrons & O'Netics fame) -- the 1st set (in vertical grain bamboo, are sitting in some Canada Post wharehouse in Ottawa, damaged but functional, and may come up for auction sometime)

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE127-bamboo-off-cali.jpg (16.0 KB, 948 views)
Old 30th March 2011, 06:48 PM   #1478
diyAudio Member

I was going to post my full range pics until I saw those sexy bamboo jobs.
Old 30th March 2011, 06:53 PM   #1479
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Don't let that stop you. Pretty is just a bonus. The effort to make your own is what counts. One of the best in this in this thread is the FF85 in the 2 litre pop bottle.

dave
Old 30th March 2011, 06:55 PM   #1480
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Since the ply is made of renewable grass and not wood it is probably an easier process than wood.
Tropical bamboo certainly grows much faster than any tree used for production of conventional sheet goods, but considering the maximum wall thickness attainable and machining time required to fabricate the laminated block core sheets, I'd doubt its overall an "easier" process than say particle board or veneer / composite core plywoods.

Then take into account total travel distances from raw material harvesting through production / market distribution channels.

Don't get me wrong - even though it's a bear to work with, I love the look you can achieve, but let's not kid ourselves - "green" is one thing - carbon / energy footprint is entirely another

edit: even (most) trees are a renewable resource, just at
a

much

slo

wer

pace

Last edited by chrisb; 30th March 2011 at 07:00 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!