Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

my extremely humble first project... serves as a mid range monitor for my studio...

fostex fx120s in a 3.6L sealed hardwood enclosure... very smooth (if a little boxy) and serves its purpose very well :)

self.

Attachments

• selfs killatones.jpg
    selfs killatones.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 8,605
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
FattyFatty2x4 said:
If you look at these plans, you'll notice that the "compression chamber" of this kit is extremely shallow. The FE126E was listed as a compatible driver on the Fostex Japan site, but I can't say that I'm impressed with the sound of these. Is this the wrong driver for this enclosure?

Another one of Fostex's stepped expaning TLs. We have had mixed results with the Fostex designs... the official BR/expanding TL for the FE126 being quite decent sounding -- and if you trim the unused bottom part off so that they give a very cute speaker with quite interesting presentation. I can recommend it for anyone who needs something unobtrusive (just don't put it somewhere where you trip over it.

We also tried the FE126E in the PAWO "horn" as someone had suggested -- better than the FR125 in it, but still not good.

The RonHorn A126 got fired up yesterday. It has an even smaller CC, and exhibits colourations associated with too small a CC, but has good promise.

dave

I cleaned up the BK10 plans a bit and have attached them here

Attachments

• bk10_plan.gif
    bk10_plan.gif
    32.6 KB · Views: 8,218
I put my fe126e into a pair of BK16 cabinets that I had lying around while I made up my mind about what to build for them. I was pleasantly surprised by how well they sounded. They play deep(given the driver size) and clean and fast. And they were placed well away from the walls too.
All I did was stuff the throat with some acousta-stuf and lay a loose layer behind and above the driver in the CC. Since I had to put the drivers on a baffle to fit over the original holes, the CC is actually a bit larger than with the fe166e that I originally had in them.

UV

Dave:

I've read good things about the bass from the ML-TL, and that's what's missing from the BK10. Without using the "bass" control on my Panasonic receiver, the BK10 sounds nasal and honky. I'm trying to avoid having to use a subwoofer.

If you were to build the "Virtual Fostex," would you use the FE206e, or the FE207e? Looks like a box made from six pieces that I could have cut by a local shop.

Also, I was thinking about getting a Charlize amp from diyparadise.com. Does that amp have enough power for the MK ML TL? It looks from the diagram on Martin King's website like the BSC circuit has the + tied with the -, which I thought was a no-no with a Tripath-based amp.

Yes, I will probably end up electrocuting myself, but my doctor said I need a hobby.

audiothings said:
my extremely humble first project... serves as a mid range monitor for my studio...

fostex fx120s in a 3.6L sealed hardwood enclosure... very smooth (if a little boxy) and serves its purpose very well :)

self.

have you tried these drives as "regular" home audio drivers? BTW where do you get these drivers in India. The Fostex dealer in Mumbai (Narians) does not carry them.

hello navin

my friend in the usa ordered them from madisound and brought them in his personal baggage when he came to india.

as it was for my studio/work i didn't mind caughing up the extra dough for the fx120's but for a personal listening system i just put together alegria audio's fq 127 (ml-tqwt?/fe127e) and i can only say that the ultra smooth response of the fx-120 + the bass response of the alegria design would be a great combination.

if you are in chennai sometime i'd be happy to demo them for you. (93810-46695)

cheers

jai shankar.

audiothings said:

as it was for my studio/work i didn't mind caughing up the extra dough for the fx120's but for a personal listening system i just put together alegria audio's fq 127 (ml-tqwt?/fe127e) and i can only say that the ultra smooth response of the fx-120 + the bass response of the alegria design would be a great combination.

I was considering the FX120 or the FE108 (same price) in a thin tall cabinet (not sure of the bass loading yet) to complement an EL84 amp, I would assume that the FX120 (being larger) would offer better bass but the 108 would offer a nicer treble.

Since the system will be in my son's room it will be exposed to wide variety of music (from dance and disco to jazz and rock).

Thanks for the offer will keep it in mind if I am ever in chennai.